HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 3:30 PM
BANNED

Ahh, diplomacy....

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 3:39 PM

^^Play nice.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 3:40 PM
BANNED

I promise....

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 6:22 PM
Closed account

Off topic anyways... [just think that tower can't make up its mind what it should be - first rectangular, then a round bit stacked on that, then a tacked on rooftop screen]

Back to 100 Main, is anybody picking up any clues as to when a recommendation will be made?

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 6:32 PM
BANNED

Yeah, I thought this complicated, inert way of doing business here was supposed to die....

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengshui View Post
Off topic anyways... [just think that tower can't make up its mind what it should be - first rectangular, then a round bit stacked on that, then a tacked on rooftop screen]

Back to 100 Main, is anybody picking up any clues as to when a recommendation will be made?
May 22

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 6:43 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post
May 22

Is that a guarentee on when we will find out about Winnipeg's newest park at 100 Main St.?

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 6:46 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
May 22
May 21st, the day before the Prov. Election.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
Is that a guarentee on when we will find out about Winnipeg's newest park at 100 Main St.?
Hey, when it comes to city politics, nothing is a guarantee . But, the city has said that May 22 is the decision day. One of the developers is out of town til the 23, but said they would be calling in on the 22 to see which proposal has won. Theirs is the front runner, but please don't ask. I have probably said more than I should already.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 9:23 PM

Can't wait till May 22nd.

Anyway May 21st is part of the long weekend.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 10:58 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Hey, when it comes to city politics, nothing is a guarantee . But, the city has said that May 22 is the decision day. One of the developers is out of town til the 23, but said they would be calling in on the 22 to see which proposal has won. Theirs is the front runner, but please don't ask. I have probably said more than I should already.

It's the park, isn't it?

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 11:08 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
It is funny how different people like different things. I have always loved 225 South Sixth tower ever since it was built. I spend a lot of time in Minneapolis and love how it's blue glass and white glowing crown seem to contrast the other beautiful tower - Wells Fargo with its yellow brick and golden lit roof line at dusk.

Opinions vary!
yea its a nice building

-------

may 22 ok marks teh calender

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 11:22 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
yea its a nice building

-------

may 22 ok marks teh calender
Like what was said before; Minneapolis is the city Winnipeg SHOULD HAVE BEEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really do like Minneapolis

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 11:37 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Like what was said before; Minneapolis is the city Winnipeg SHOULD HAVE BEEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really do like Minneapolis
got friends in the twin cities

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:19 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Diva View Post
You bet I am--I love Minneapolis. It is the city Winnipeg should be....
I normally agree with almost everything you say..

But c'mon girl, Winnipeg has so much more grit and personality than Minneapolis. That place save for a few blocks of the downtown is almost all freeway's, sprawl, office parks, and shopping malls.

Their 'warehouse' district is a joke compared to the exchange. I was in Minneapolis for my first time last year and thought right away that our exchange district could blow the roof off of that place.

Overall, Winnipeg has an architectually much more interesting downtown. We have a greater variety of architecture built over the 20th - 21st centuries. Whereas, in Minneapolis it seems like everything was built in the last 30 years.

Granted, i'd like to see a couple of good 40 - 60 story scrapers take shape in our city over my lifetime , but that can still happen.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:24 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

But c'mon girl, Winnipeg has so much more grit and personality than Minneapolis. That place save for a few blocks of the downtown is almost all freeway's, sprawl, office parks, and shopping malls.

Their 'warehouse' district is a joke compared to the exchange. I was in Minneapolis for my first time last year and thought right away that our exchange district could blow the roof off of that place.

Overall, Winnipeg has an architectually much more interesting downtown. We have a greater variety of architecture built over the 20th - 21st centuries. Whereas, in Minneapolis it seems like everything was built in the last 30 years.

Granted, i'd like to see a couple of good 40 - 60 story scrapers take shape in our city over my lifetime , but that can still happen.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 4:55 AM

Quote:
It's the park, isn't it?
That area doesn't need another park

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 6:50 AM

Hallelujah!

I would be fairly upset if a Faux-Park graced 100 Main.

As long as it's not the park, I'll be happy. Not that I'm against greenspace, but if there is one thing this city DOESN'T suffer from, it's open (and green) spaces. A faux-park off the beaten path, as far as pedestrians go, wouldn't serve much use. Certainly a recreation of the fort wouldn't be a huge draw either. Tower here we come ...only thing to wait and see ...is will it be closer to 20, or closer to 40?

...Your hints have swept a smile across my face RAFS.

Edit: If we're worried about greenspace, there is plenty of surface lots we can sod over.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 10:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

I would set your standards a bit higher vi-a-vis the Exchange....it is okaaay, but bursting with potential. It is far from what it can, and should be.

Downtown Minneapolis is vibrant, clean and modern. It is a city with a very good rep as a place of commerce, and its economy is quite large.

Winnipeg has more grit, you betcha! Personality? If masses of poor people, and miscreants/panhandlers give us more personality, then ok...

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 12:25 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Diva View Post
I would set your standards a bit higher vi-a-vis the Exchange....it is okaaay, but bursting with potential. It is far from what it can, and should be.

Downtown Minneapolis is vibrant, clean and modern. It is a city with a very good rep as a place of commerce, and its economy is quite large.

Winnipeg has more grit, you betcha! Personality? If masses of poor people, and miscreants/panhandlers give us more personality, then ok...
I agree with your comments about the exchange. What I should have said is "if the exchange district ever gets its act together it would be unrivaled by anything Minneapolis has to offer". For that matter, it would be unrivaled by most places in N.America.

I Hope that's better.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan