HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, he can't change these facts, but the policy decisions in response to them are his government's prerogatives. There are a million pressures from all directions placed on governments. They don't give in to all of them.
Yes. It is a choice. I believe it is clearly the wrong choice, but we shouldn't pretend the government is totally incompetent or making a consciously malicious choice which is the current Conservative party and Convoy crowd claim.

Speaking of bad choices. Has the Oil furnace Carbon tax thing gone away? It seems like something so unfair it will have to fall.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Yes. It is a choice. I believe it is clearly the wrong choice, but we shouldn't pretend the government is totally incompetent or making a consciously malicious choice which is the current Conservative party and Convoy crowd claim.

Speaking of bad choices. Has the Oil furnace Carbon tax thing gone away? It seems like something so unfair it will have to fall.
No, it is becoming more irrational. The BC Premier is upset because it is not fair. The feds are not provide any relief to BC residents who have to pay BC Carbon Tax. Yes! This is where we are not. The BC Government want to impose a tax and ask the feds to rebate it.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 3:55 PM

Weren’t we told by the Liberals that the carbon tax is the most efficient method to move away from the dirtiest fuels? So like, now that they removed the carbon tax from the dirtiest fuel because it is too expensive, they have completely contradicted themselves, and yet we are still to believe in their system, when they don’t even believe in it themselves. Let’s keep taxing the cleanest of fossils fuels, and not tax the dirtiest of fossils fuels. Got it.

Their admission that the carbon tax is a sham happened a long time ago, when they announced policies like banning ICE vehicles by a certain time. I mean, if the carbon tax were to work like they told us, banning ICE vehicles wouldn’t have to be made. Likewise with emissions caps, and net zero electricity grid. The carbon tax should have made the changes naturally by market forces, we were told, anyway.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
You tell us how much you can't stand JT but who are the politicians out there that you like?
That's a short list these days my friend. In the past I have voted for the Liberals, NDP and Conservatives. More so for the individual than the party. I vote and support anyone who puts the Canadian people first, and our interests.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
Weren’t we told by the Liberals that the carbon tax is the most efficient method to move away from the dirtiest fuels? So like, now that they removed the carbon tax from the dirtiest fuel because it is too expensive, they have completely contradicted themselves, and yet we are still to believe in their system, when they don’t even believe in it themselves. Let’s keep taxing the cleanest of fossils fuels, and not tax the dirtiest of fossils fuels. Got it.

Their admission that the carbon tax is a sham happened a long time ago, when they announced policies like banning ICE vehicles by a certain time. I mean, if the carbon tax were to work like they told us, banning ICE vehicles wouldn’t have to be made. Likewise with emissions caps, and net zero electricity grid. The carbon tax should have made the changes naturally by market forces, we were told, anyway.
Federal pandering aside, carbon taxes are still the best free market system to reduce CO2 emissions. There's no debate on that.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
That's a short list these days my friend. In the past I have voted for the Liberals, NDP and Conservatives. More so for the individual than the party. I vote and support anyone who puts the Canadian people first, and our interests.
So MCGA?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Federal pandering aside, carbon taxes are still the best free market system to reduce CO2 emissions. There's no debate on that.
In theory, I agree. I reality, as we have seen, that is not the case.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 5:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
In theory yes. In reality it is political suicide.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post

I think it is time for the Liberals to start working on a new strategy in the new year. Remove the carbon tax and adopt something like the US that involves heavy subsidies to drive the transition and bans on new carbon based energy use.

We can't do carbon tax in this climate, even if it is the best way forward, so we should go to plan B.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 5:42 PM

Even in theory it is questionable. Energy is highly inelastic, so people are more likely to consume the same amount of energy and cut back on other spending.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Even in theory it is questionable. Energy is highly inelastic, so people are more likely to consume the same amount of energy and cut back on other spending.
It's Nobel prize winning. But there is general agreement it needs to be significantly higher to see real impacts. Sweden is a good example in a modern economy, with a climate like Canada's or even colder for the major population centres.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
It is true that people in the medium term will switch energy sources. If we 10X the carbon tax people will change driving habits, switch furnaces, and make different housing choices. The shock to the overall economy of course would be enormous. In fairness to the Liberals their plan is to get us there gradually. Even at 10X so gas is $2.25 and it's $5k a year to heat with gas and $9k with oil all those changes will add up to a few points of our Carbon emissions which are a rounding error on worldwide emissions and add up to what China is increasing every month. Those by choice, poverty or luck are living a low carbon life will enjoy the $4k annual rebate. The two car exurban family who fled suburbs for cost of living reason is obviously not going to accept their fate of being $5k or $10k in the hole. They will buy electric cars, close off rooms from heat. Use firewood. But most importantly vote for their own self interest. The frog will jump out of the boiling water no matter how slowly we raise the temperature.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Marc Miller justifies ballooning international student numbers by citing the need for industries "in low skill labour" to acquire "cheap labour":

https://x.com/JohnPasalis/status/172...847737732?s=20
That's pathetic but I expect no better from this government.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
In theory yes. In reality it is political suicide.
The heating oil thing is a Maritimes issue. No offense but the vast majority don't care. The Feds should have been doing more since 2015 to get people off heating oil, but alas.

It's not political suicide at all... better than most other taxes politically IMO.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 6:01 PM

Quote:
The heating oil thing is a Maritimes issue. No offense but the vast majority don't care. The Feds should have been doing more since 2015 to get people off heating oil, but alas.

It's not political suicide at all... better than most other taxes politically IMO.
The vast majority may not care specifically about heating oil but they do care about fairness and the increasing cost of living. The break for the Maritimes just shows the Libs hypocrisy.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I have never used Uber, or any ridesharing or food delivery service. ... I realize I am a Luddite senior citizen, but, I survive quite well. If I want a pizza, I bloody well get in my car and pick it up at the take out. It's just lazy to get your food delivered.
100% agree.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
He cites industry pressure for cheap labour as one of competing policy pressures. That seems an obvious statement of fact.
Huh? We have historic levels of immigration under this government. It’s fairly clear that the Liberals are doing more than just stating the facts.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
100% agree.
I am fan of Uber. Not a fan of Uber Eats.

The taxi industry in Canada (and the US) was this non-customer centric service that was unpredictable and just painful. Uber changed all of that. It was a welcome change. That said, Uber stepped in to a fill a gap that the taxi industry should have been able to solve on their own. There is nothing special or technically challenging about Uber.

Uber Eats is a different story.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 10:42 AM

I don't like the exploitive nature of those delivery apps. And everybody here can act like they are too cool for it. But the reality is that those apps are popular and do billions upon billions in business. Those apps are a very small part of the immigrant student exploitation ring though. Your local Tim's is definitely a big beneficiary of immigrant student labour. I doubt many of you are quitting your coffee habit in disgust.

I've said this before. But I'd be just fine with half the fast food places in Canada closing down. I don't think they add all that much value. To our economy or quality of life.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I don't like the exploitive nature of those delivery apps. And everybody here can act like they are too cool for it. But the reality is that those apps are popular and do billions upon billions in business. Those apps are a very small part of the immigrant student exploitation ring though. Your local Tim's is definitely a big beneficiary of immigrant student labour. I doubt many of you are quitting your coffee habit in disgust.

I've said this before. But I'd be just fine with half the fast food places in Canada closing down. I don't think they add all that much value. To our economy or quality of life.
I don't actually think they would shut down, but I think they would become more productive by using more technology. When I was in London recently even "premium" fast food outlets like Shake Shack were kiosk/online ordering only. Uniqulo in most markets has completely eliminated cashiers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada