HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 4:56 PM

sp the store is now closed? i wonder when we will start seeing some action on the site

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 5:07 PM

No. Today is the last day

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 5:08 PM

I never shop in the States outside of NYC / SF. Everything there seems to be plus-size, with wider proportions. Though, besides Diesel / Gstar raw, i tend to stick to my Asian stores...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 5:36 PM
+

Last edited by Hed Kandi; Oct 22, 2022 at 3:47 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmaccdn View Post
Lord and Taylor took over the fumbling Canadian retailer HBC and in a few years have boosted sales significantly and repositioned the brand to what it used to be.
You have it backwards. HBC is the parent company to Lord & Taylor. Bonnie Brooks is the CEO and she is Canadian. She has turned things around, yes, but she has also done the same for Lord & Taylor.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
You have it backwards. HBC is the parent company to Lord & Taylor. Bonnie Brooks is the CEO and she is Canadian. She has turned things around, yes, but she has also done the same for Lord & Taylor.
HBC did not buy Lord & Taylor. New York based NRDC Equity Partners, which bought HBC, created a new holding company called Hudson's Bay Trading Company (HBTC) which is now the parent to HBC and Lord & Taylor.

Now back to Sears...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 7:58 PM

Yah, I'm pretty sure Seattle is WAY more of a business center than Vancouver. Vansky, you should probably do some research before posting things like that...other forumers are likely to jump all over it.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 10:14 PM

^^I'm surprised you didn't randomly take interest in this thread with a "in what capacity?" challenge to vansky's statement

I would be surprised though, if Vancouver's retail offerings are comparatively more international

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 10:26 PM

Wow this is friggin annoying coming on
And having all this crap on here

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
^^I'm surprised you didn't randomly take interest in this thread with a "in what capacity?" challenge to vansky's statement

I would be surprised though, if Vancouver's retail offerings are comparatively more international
It's not random interest at all, I just find it odd when blanket statements are used to make a point. I don't think anyone could argue that Vancouver is more of a business center than Seattle. That being said, I personally think Vancouver punches well above its weight when it comes to retail. Amongst a variety of other reasons, each city caters to a different demographic and tourist base so Vancouver has several stores that Seattle doesn't have and vice versa...like most Canadian and U.S. city 'comparisons'.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 11:13 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Lets please stick to the topic This has gone on too long already

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Tate View Post
HBC did not buy Lord & Taylor. New York based NRDC Equity Partners, which bought HBC, created a new holding company called Hudson's Bay Trading Company (HBTC) which is now the parent to HBC and Lord & Taylor.

Now back to Sears...
I never said that HBC bought L&T. However, HBTC was dissolved by NRDC, thereby making HBC the parent company to L&T. Bonnie Brooks, the CEO HBC, also became the CEO of L&T. Look it up.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Nike is just a store and name? lolololol

I will continue to buy all my clothes in Seattle until Vancouver offers clothes for people who are taller than 6'0.
americans treat nike like canadians treat top brands of maple syrup, you think people in France would view LV as something exotic, authentic or world class? YOu think the chinese would see a chinese menu as exotic foreign cuisine? it's just shits with more oil and msg....you think vancouverites would see vancouver as an exotic place for honey moon? it's the fukcing backyard...I see Paris as a jewel for romance, what do you think people over there think about it? a big French city...with culture

anyways, this is way off topic.

If you go over there, and see a lot of stuff thatyou dont see here, you'd think shopping's better over there.

There are people coming here and they want to see the aberdeen center, that is crazy isn't it....and there are people coming here for sushi...

fine, Seattel got big companies, a larger metropolitan, and more choices for clothing....move there, and see wher eyou gona go for shopping after a year, and dont ever come back for sushi or robson, cuz seattle's better

Last edited by vansky; Oct 8, 2012 at 2:12 AM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
americans treat nike like canadians treat top brands of maple syrup, you think people in France would view LV as something exotic, authentic or world class? YOu think the chinese would see a chinese menu as exotic foreign cuisine? it's just shits with more oil and msg....you think vancouverites would see vancouver as an exotic place for honey moon? it's the fukcing backyard...I see Paris as a jewel for romance, what do you think people over there think about it? a big French city...with culture

If you go over there, and see a lot of stuff thatyou dont see here, you'd think shopping's better over there.

There are people coming here and they want to see the aberdeen center, that is crazy isn't it....and there are people coming here for sushi...

fine, Seattel got big companies, a larger metropolitan, and more choices for clothing....move there, and see wher eyou gona go for shopping after a year, and dont ever come back for sushi or robson, cuz seattle's better
If you're aware that what you were typing was off topic, why did you even bother hitting the submit button?

Is sears closed now? Bring on Nordstroms!

I still can't believe that the urinal will eventually be gone.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
I never said that HBC bought L&T. However, HBTC was dissolved by NRDC, thereby making HBC the parent company to L&T. Bonnie Brooks, the CEO HBC, also became the CEO of L&T. Look it up.
Same difference. The point I was trying to make is that it's an American company that's making the Bay's turnaround possible. If HBC remained a Canadian company, The Bay would still be a fading department store headed for the same fate as Eaton's.

Uh oh, the off-topic police are getting really angry. I can feel it...

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 6:00 AM

now the shortcut from pac centre to robson is gone - oh the horror

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 6:19 AM

Yes it's closed now. They locked it up at 3

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfreder View Post
If you're aware that what you were typing was off topic, why did you even bother hitting the submit button?

Is sears closed now? Bring on Nordstroms!

I still can't believe that the urinal will eventually be gone.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 9:23 PM

i wonder when we will notice the first changes

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 10:12 PM

Cadillac Fairview takes over at midnight October 31st.
Construction is sypposed to start "immediately" thereafter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver