HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 12:08 AM

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families who lost their loved ones. Twin Towers forever...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 4:38 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 4:44 AM
Ex Houstonian

I cant get over how much progress has been made lately, its astounding. I really really hope once all of this is done that somebody put a time lapse camera in one location since the beginning to show all of the craziness that has gone on at the site.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 4:54 AM
New Yorker for life

^ That's already being done from a few different places...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 5:01 PM

when the memorial opens up next year it wont just be open to the family on the first day will it? the public can also go inside correct?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 5:11 PM
Honored Member

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmc9th View Post
when the memorial opens up next year it wont just be open to the family on the first day will it? the public can also go inside correct?
You won't be able to go into the museum, but you will be able to go to the plaza. The museum still won't be completed by 9/11/11.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 6:30 PM

That would be...next year?

The museum Pavilion will open in 2010, so they say. That must mean that Greenwich Street will be vehicle-accessible by then.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 7:36 PM

Remember; Memorial and Museum, two very different things. The Memorial, the waterfalls, are the things that are going to be done, or almost done by this time next year. There will still be a lot of work on the Pavilion, as you can see they are only now starting to put up steel for the structure.

Straight from the horse's mouth:
Full Report here

Completion Dates
Transportation Hub 2Q 2014
Memorial
Interim Plaza Turnover (80% deck complete) 1Q 2011
Complete Plaza Turnover (100% deck complete) 4Q 2011
Museum Completion 2Q 2013
One World Trade Center, Freedom Tower 4Q 2013
Greenwich Street 4Q 2012
Vehicle Security Center 3Q 2012

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 10:39 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
That would be...next year?

The museum Pavilion will open in 2010, so they say. That must mean that Greenwich Street will be vehicle-accessible by then.
You mean 2011. The PA report talks about revamping the schedule for Greenwich St. to have the south half ready by 9-11-11.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 11:51 PM

Are the plans and renderings for the Flight 93 memorial/museum in this thread or does it have its own thread?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
You mean 2011. The PA report talks about revamping the schedule for Greenwich St. to have the south half ready by 9-11-11.
Now are they going to simply build on top of the current stretch of "Greenwich street," that is already there, or are they going to tear the current structure down in any way to build the street? I guess I have no idea how they're going to build with that subway running through there.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 5:34 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
Are the plans and renderings for the Flight 93 memorial/museum in this thread or does it have its own thread?
Dude, that has nothing at all to do with cities, that was in the middle of a field, nowhere near any major cities, why would skyscraperpage have anything about that on it? Come on now.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
Now are they going to simply build on top of the current stretch of "Greenwich street," that is already there, or are they going to tear the current structure down in any way to build the street? I guess I have no idea how they're going to build with that subway running through there.
The street sits right on top of the subway. Basically they just have to lay all the utilities, a couple of feet of fill, and pave it.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 4:03 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 7:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Tridents in the rain...

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 10:31 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
The subway box was designed to support a street above it, at least it was before it was underpinned and left 70 feet in the air.

As construction on the PATH station on one side and towers 2,3 and 4 and the Transit Hub on the other get near street level construction on Greenwich St. will progress from south to north. Construction should look alot like that on Fulton St. next to Tower One. CLean fill, compacted, then utilities layed followed by paving, curbs and sidwalks.

They thought about closing the line and tearing it all down but it is one of the few lines that connects to the Staten Island Ferry. (Yes, it's possible to take a subway train right through the middle of the WTC construction site, but you won't be able to see anything, it's still a tunnel.)

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Sep 14, 2010 at 10:59 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 11:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
They thought about closing the line and tearing it all down but it is one of the few lines that connects to the Staten Island Ferry. (Yes, it's possible to take a subway train right through the middle of the WTC construction site, but you won't be able to see anything, it's still a tunnel.)
There would have been riots throughout Manhattan had they closed that line. It's essential not only as a connection to the Ferry, but a key to operating express service on the 7th Ave line. When it was closed (for about a year I believe), service on the express lines was disrupted. Getting that line back up and running through the site was the first major accomplishment (other than cleaning the site) after 9/11, and when it did express on the 2 and 3 went back to normal...

I still say that with the PATH back up and running, the MTA could have reopened the station into the PATH terminal. But with other subway service operating around the WTC site, it wasn't essential the station be reopened right away.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 12:39 AM
Honored Member

In the interest of World Peace they kept the #1 line open.

Most non-locals probably don't know just how important the WTC was, and well be again very soon, to transportation in lower Manhattan.

About 9 minutes before the first plane hit the North Tower my wife, of 2 months at the time, passed through the WTC on her way to Mid-Town. (She was transferring from the PATH to the Lexington Ave. line.) (She had no idea what had happened untell she turned on the TV in her office to watch CNN.)

(There were about 12 minutes of frantic calls trying to reach her before I found out she was fine and everyone on her floor (22nd of 520 Madison Ave.) was headed for the street, and ultimately, home.)

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Sep 15, 2010 at 12:52 AM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 3:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
About 9 minutes before the first plane hit the North Tower my wife, of 2 months at the time, passed through the WTC on her way to Mid-Town. (She was transferring from the PATH to the Lexington Ave. line.) (She had no idea what had happened untell she turned on the TV in her office to watch CNN.)
I remember back in 93, one of those other times I was living in Jersey ( ), I was supposed to be either at the station or on my way into the station when that explosion hit. Fortunately, I was recovering from being sick (flu I think) and stayed home because it was already the end of the week. I remember the Port Authority hid the damage behind these large "drapes".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture