HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post
But where is Bryan Oldsmobile... and do they have a 1953 Holiday 98 2 door in stock?

All photos c/o GLAAC archives

8833 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills. Showroom and lot still there and in good condition as of last month, occupied by Tactical Fleet of Beverly Hills. No '53 Olds, sadly.

https://tacticalfleet.com/press/tact...ls-california/[/QUOTE]

Thanks HH! with your report that means all buildings have survived.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post
You've forgotten one thing Martin : the old photograph lens gave a majestic appearence to houses and buildings by moving them away and widening them. The same houses and buildings with current lens look stunted in comparison.
You are, of course, correct, but I think it's the intention of actually photographing something, when film was required, that is the most important element in the then and now observations that get posted. Just my opinion. Another aspect is the nostalgia one might feel for looking at an old photograph that current photos obviously don't have.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 6:32 PM

Has anyone heard of Davis' Perfection Bakeries?

"1937 photo Negative Delivery Truck Davis PERFECTION Bakery Auto Los Angeles CA"

eBay

I found this.

LAPL

I wonder if the photograph was taken in front of the Hoover Street location or the N. Beaudry Street location? (or perhaps neither)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 29, 2024 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 9:06 PM

"...that means all buildings have survived."

Unihikid, I'm happy to be the bearer of good tidings! I wish we could make that statement more often at NLA, but we'll take what we can get. Thanks for bringing over the OP!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Has anyone heard of Davis' Perfection Bakeries?

"1937 photo Negative Delivery Truck Davis PERFECTION Bakery Auto Los Angeles CA"

eBay

I found this.

LAPL

I wonder if the photograph was taken in front of the Hoover Street location or the N. Beaudry Street location? (or perhaps neither)

IIRC Dalton Trumbo worked at the Davis Perfection bakery when his family moved from Colorado.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 8:30 PM

That's a nifty little factoid, Jungmann.

For those of you who don't know the screenwriter, Dalton Trumbo. He was one of the 'Hollywood 10' who refused to testify before HUAC (House Un-American Activities Committee).
He was sentenced to a year in federal prison for contempt of Congress but was released after 10 months.

Here he is with his wife Cleo at the HUAC hearings. (1947)

wikicommons

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 8:48 PM

Earlier this week I happened upon a negative [dated 1933] of the RKO Hillstreet Theater in downtown Los Angeles.

eBay

Here's a closer look.

eBay

The film that is showing is. . .

Something that doesn't show up plainly in the positive image is what appears to be men with motion pictures cameras on the sidewalk. (left edge of the neg.)

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 9:01 PM

ER, what app or site do you use to reverse negatives?

Camp Cherry Valley Catalina Island (former scout camp) 1931
Photo by GLAAC archives

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:52 PM

Personally, I find Photoshop to be helpful in this. I drag it into Photoshop and with a "command-I" it inverts the image. Your image came out rather purplish, so it's a also an easy matter, then, of, under "Adjustments," converting it to black and white.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:22 PM

Read and Wright R.E. was on the east side of the Wilshire Blvd. and Little Santa Monica Bl. intersection.....between the car and the pump we can see the white column of the Beverly Hills "Electric Fountain"....photo is undated, I would guess about 1940....image courtesy jalopyjournal.com.

This view is more directly west down Wilshire....to the left of the pump the domed retail building that for decades was occupied by Wilson's House of Suede is visible.

A view from the other side of Santa Monica Blvd., 1938.

We had a recent discussion re the appearance of the city in years past vs. present day, I would suggest this particular intersection is much improved when compared to the vintage photos....

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:37 PM

Get out your old maps, noirishers!

Yesterday I happened upon this intriguing photograph (rppc) on eBay.

eBay

Is anyone familiar with Carlin Ave. or Du Ray Place?

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:14 PM

Du Ray Pl. runs NNE parallel to and a block west of Cochran Ave. from a dead end just north of Jefferson Blvd. to Carlin St., a distance of about 4-5 blocks. Carlin runs 3-4 blocks WNW from Cochran to a dead end just short of Clyde Ave. (near Adams Blvd.) Du Ray isn't much more than an alley.

The neighborhood is mostly single-family homes and small apartment buildings. So sayeth GSV.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:43 PM

"It's between Baldwin Hills and the West Adams district, near the intersection of La Brea and W. Exposition."

This is probably the equivalent of the eBay pic.

GSV

Courtesy of odinthor.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Yesterday at 9:59 PM.

Old Posted Today, 2:01 AM

Skyscraperpage

This amazing shot was posted here by BifRayRock in 2017. I used some sophisticated hacking techniques to remove the watermark. (Open the image in a new tab, and it goes away.)

The view from 95 years ago is recognizable; the tower on City Hall still shows. As far as I'm concerned, this should be an iconic Los Angeles scene, like the view of the Arc de Triomphe from Avenue Foch:

Wikipedia

Or that view of the Bay Bridge along Harrison St. In San Francisco, where the towers are framed by buildings:

Reddit

But I guess Long Beach Ave. and 42nd St. Isn't exactly a hotspot for tourists, so until some location scouts decide to take action, it will be enjoyed primarily by drivers on the Metro A line.

BifRayRock didn't post the uncropped photo, which USC no longer provides in high resolution, so I'm thankful that he snagged the good screengrab when he had the chance. At least one of the nearby buildings is there, and a few of the Canary Island date palms are still there:

USC Digital Library

Follow-up comments noted that the man in the photo is photographer Dick Whittington, based on a sign on another photo in the set, looking south. I assume he used the line of rocks to help position himself. And the poles are apparently canted because they supported wires above four PE tracks.

Last edited by Mackerm; Today at 3:22 AM.

Old Posted Today, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Personally, I find Photoshop to be helpful in this. I drag it into Photoshop and with a "command-I" it inverts the image. Your image came out rather purplish, so it's a also an easy matter, then, of, under "Adjustments," converting it to black and white.

Thanks Beaudry, i don't have photoshop but think it's time for me to get it.

Old Posted Today, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
Thanks Beaudry, i don't have photoshop but think it's time for me to get it.
A free alternative to the expensive Photoshop is the freeware program GIMP, available for Windows or Linux (I don't know about Apple). There's a learning curve, but Photoshop has a curve too. Plus Photoshop has had some bad press about license fees. I use Gimp a lot. There's also a free Windows program IrfanView which can do many basic tasks and is easier to learn.

Old Posted Today, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Something that doesn't show up plainly in the positive image is what appears to be men with motion pictures cameras on the sidewalk. (left edge of the neg.)

Here's the inverted version of your image, e_r:

Old Posted Today, 6:12 PM

Although the 1970s are later than much of what draws us to the earlier versions of L.A. I've discovered that1970s detective shows set here have become great period pieces of the city. TV detectives tend to drove around a lot, so there are vintage cars and street scenes aplenty.

Unfortunately I didn't get a screengrab, but in a very early episode of Columbo there was a gasometer in the distance, near the river. Must have been the last one!

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Old Posted Today, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineeral View Post

A free alternative to the expensive Photoshop is the freeware program GIMP, available for Windows or Linux (I don't know about Apple). There's a learning curve, but Photoshop has a curve too. Plus Photoshop has had some bad press about license fees. I use Gimp a lot. There's also a free Windows program IrfanView which can do many basic tasks and is easier to learn.
Another free alternative that I used to use is paint.net - you can download it here. It does a lot of the useful tasks and isn't that hard to learn. The current version requires Windows 10 or above.

Old Posted Today, 8:23 PM

RE: RKO Hillstreet Theater, 1933

Positive posted by Scott Charles

It looks like I was wrong about the movie camera. Perhaps it's a speaker. ..Of course the other thing is a kleig light.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos