HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I couldn't resist.

unknown

I'm curious about 'The Postman Always Rings Twice' inspiration (albeit indirect).
I'll try to Google it I guess, or you could spill the beans sopas_ej.

Google Earth.

This is the rough location of Gay's Lion Farm. I'd seen articles saying that the entrance is now the site of a McDonald's, and I'm not buying it.

This is where the 10 freeway crosses Valley Blvd. The historical marker and statue is in the little triangle bounded by Valley Blvd., Peck Rd. and the freeway.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 8:14 PM

gsv

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 7:46 PM

"Porky" Johnson at the eastern side of North Hollywood Park, Tujunga Ave. at Weddington St., about 1942.....I like the Hopper-esque touch of the illuminated diner patrons.

A mini-bio from 2010 is here....https://museumsanfernandovalley.blog...y-johnson.html

Mr. Johnson died in 2012 at age 87...... https://www.dailynews.com/2012/01/09...to-crow-about/

The sandwich shop, at 5300 Tujunga Ave., was built out in 1930.....

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 8:23 PM

The view looks somewhat different now.

gsv

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 11:21 PM

Normally we see the Hollywood/Hollywoodland sign straight on or looking up at it. If we've seen one like this looking over the hills I don't recall it.
It's on the AMPAS Museum's website advertising their upcoming exhibition about the founders of the movie industry.

AcademyMuseum On the website the credit is: The Hollywood Sign, ca. 1924, courtesy of Margaret Herrick Library

For comparison, the Historic Hollywood Photos website has 282 photos listed in their Hollywood Sign category, and only 1 similar to the above which is ca. 1924.
This one was taken in 1930. A lot of change in "circa" 6 years!

Last edited by Martin Pal; May 16, 2024 at 11:35 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 4:48 AM

A mystery location. I just happened upon this photograph on eBay.

Is anyone familiar with the Garrett Corporation?

eBay

Judging by the cars (and the way they're parked) I'd say the company has something to do with the automobile industry (?)

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:08 AM

A rooftop snapshot and mystery location.

Here's a snapshot of two female employees(?) on the roof of Boynton Brunswick company.

Curretly on eBay

For some reason I thought it was a biscuit company - but if you look closely 'billiard tables' is painted on (what looks like) a chimney.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 7:01 AM

Quote:
A mystery location. I just happened upon this photograph on eBay.

Is anyone familiar with the Garrett Corporation?

eBay

Judging by the cars (and the way they're parked) I'd say the company has something to do with the automobile industry (?)

USC

The company made turbochargers, among other things. Other photos show it was right next to the terminals at LAX.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackerm View Post

USC

The company made turbochargers, among other things. Other photos show it was right next to the terminals at LAX.
i remember seeing this building almost everyday when i worked in El Segundo. I think this was on Century Blvd or Sepulveda Blvd. possibly Aviation.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
A rooftop snapshot and mystery location.

Here's a snapshot of two female employees(?) on the roof of Boynton Brunswick company.

Curretly on eBay

For some reason I thought it was a biscuit company - but if you look closely 'billiard tables' is painted on (what looks like) a chimney.

e_r, we have a survivor--the wall sign too!--at 845 S. Los Angeles St. The picture is of the rear, from Main St. In the older picture, they're standing on the roof of something on Main St.

gsv, 2011 shot (because it was brighter)

The Brunswick Co., dating far back and still active (but not in this building), is/was the Brunswick of billiards, bowling balls, boats, records, etc. It appears that, at present, they've divested of everything but the maritime products.

The H.R. Boynton Company was "one of the largest wholesale metal houses in this city" (at least, in 1910 when Mr. Boynton died; he was at the time also president of the California Club). It appears that the Boynton Co. and the Brunswick Co. were just neighbors in the building rather than affiliated companies.

If the building is still available, it would make a convenient downtown headquarters for Noirish L.A.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullpower View Post
i remember seeing this building almost everyday when i worked in El Segundo. I think this was on Century Blvd or Sepulveda Blvd. possibly Aviation.
Turbine engines also

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 10:37 PM

GARRETT CORP.

Quote:

USC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickstop View Post
Turbine engines also
Thanks guys.

https://calisphere.org/item/96b2a581...4ba86f962bee1/

But where?

Let's take a closer look.

I'm pretty sure I see it. I'll wait & see if one you can point it out. ..(it's more fun that way)

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
e_r, we have a survivor--the wall sign too!--at 845 S. Los Angeles St. The picture is of the rear, from Main St. In the older picture, they're standing on the roof of something on Main St.

gsv, 2011 shot (because it was brighter)

The Brunswick Co., dating far back and still active (but not in this building), is/was the Brunswick of billiards, bowling balls, boats, records, etc. It appears that, at present, they've divested of everything but the maritime products.

The H.R. Boynton Company was "one of the largest wholesale metal houses in this city" (at least, in 1910 when Mr. Boynton died; he was at the time also president of the California Club). It appears that the Boynton Co. and the Brunswick Co. were just neighbors in the building rather than affiliated companies.

If the building is still available, it would make a convenient downtown headquarters for Noirish L.A.
Fantastic discovery, odinthor. ..Thanks so much!

Did anyone else notice the heart?

detail

First usage of subliminal bangs.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 18, 2024 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Founding years

John Clifford "Cliff" Garrett founded a company in Los Angeles in 1936 which came to be known as Garrett AiResearch or simply AiResearch. The company was first named Aircraft Tool and Supply Company. In early 1937, it was renamed as Garrett Supply Company. In 1939, it became AiResearch and shortly thereafter AiResearch Manufacturing Company, which then became a division within the Garrett Corporation. Already operating his Garrett Supply and Airsupply businesses, in 1939 Cliff Garrett established a small research laboratory to conduct "air research" on the development of pressurized flight for passenger aircraft."[AiResearch's] first 'lab' was a small store building on Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles"]
In 1939, Garrett incorporated the "Garrett Corporation" and the three operating companies became divisions: Airsupply Division, Garrett Supply Division, and AiResearch Manufacturing Division. Needing additional space, they built their own manufacturing facility in Glendale, California, and thereby established the name AiResearch Manufacturing Company. By 1941, AiResearch needed new space, and on April 28, 1941, moved from Glendale to what until then had been a beanfield on Sepulveda Boulevard, at the corner of Century Boulevard near Mines Field, which later became Los Angeles Airport.
In 1942, the Army Air Force concluded that vital cabin pressurization manufacturing facilities should be relocated inland from the coast, and AiResearch set up the AiResearch Phoenix Division in Phoenix, Arizona. For this purpose, AiResearch Manufacturing Company of Arizona was established as a wholly owned subsidiary.
History

1939 through 1949

The company's first major product was an oil cooler for military aircraft. Garrett designed and produced oil coolers for the Douglas DB-7 Boeing's B-17 bombers, credited with substantially tipping the air war in America's and Great Britain's favor over Europe and the Pacific, were outfitted with Garrett intercoolers, as was the B-25. The company developed and produced the cabin pressure system for the B-29 bomber, the first production bomber pressurized for high altitude flying. By the end of World War II, AiResearch engineers had developed air expansion cooling turbines for America's first jet aircraft, the Lockheed P-80 Shooting Star. During World War II, Garrett AiResearch sold $112 million in military equipment and had as many as 5,000 employees.
Having to scale back its workforce to just 600 employees at the end of the war stimulated Garrett to look for new revenue sources. "He found them in the small turbines which patient Engineer Walter Ramsaur had been perfecting since 1943. A way had to be found to cool cockpits so jet pilots could endure the heat generated by air friction at supersonic speeds. Ramsaur's turbine provided the answer. By putting an engine's heat to work turning the turbine, it cooled the air by expanding it, then injected the air into the cockpit. As rearmament got under way, Garrett began turning out a total of 700 accessory products. With the Navy order for [an on-board engine] self-starter, [by 1951] Garrett Corp. [had] a $120 million backlog, enough to keep 5,500 workers on three shifts busy for at least the next three years".
By the end of the 1940s, Garrett Corporation was listed on the New York Stock Exchange. "In the late 1940s and early 1950s, Garrett was heavily committed to the design of small gas turbine engines from 20 - 90 horse power (15 - 67 kW). The engineers had developed a good background in the metallurgy of housings, high speed seals, radial inflow turbines, and centrifugal compressors".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrett_AiResearch

Let's not forget Garrett's LAX-adjacent neighbor, McCulloch (chainsaws and superchargers, etc.) http://www.superchargerkits.org/peop...ton-mcculloch/ https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ostcount=35722

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 2:33 PM

Gay's Lion Farm in El Monte

Quote:

Google Earth.

This is the rough location of Gay's Lion Farm. I'd seen articles saying that the entrance is now the site of a McDonald's, and I'm not buying it.

This is where the 10 freeway crosses Valley Blvd. The historical marker and statue is in the little triangle bounded by Valley Blvd., Peck Rd. and the freeway.
After consulting multiple aerial photos of the area, the rectangle above is not the location of the Lion Farm. If you move that rectangle southeastward until it covers all of the McDonalds area, parking lot and building, then you are at the almost exact location of Gay's Lion Farm.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 6:05 PM

And GARRETT is responsible for. .um. . whatever this is. ..(something nuclear)

It's pretty cool looking.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 18, 2024 at 8:59 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Today I have a SUPER DUPER mystery location.

I happened upon this rare photograph on eBay yesterday...I was dying to post it.

Are you sitting down?

eBay

LOS ANGELES PHOTO ANTIQUE 1885 LARGE STREET
Help!

In this uncropped pic from the same eBay listing, the sign reads more like "E. Williams" than "E. Wilmington."

Two other things: those look like striped signs for a barbershop next door, and maybe there is Hebrew writing on the sign below the window.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corriganville View Post

After consulting multiple aerial photos of the area, the rectangle above is not the location of the Lion Farm. If you move that rectangle southeastward until it covers all of the McDonalds area, parking lot and building, then you are at the almost exact location of Gay's Lion Farm.
I'm afraid that I agree with Mackerm. The lion farm is quite clear on the 1927 aerial with its entrance facing north-east. I then overlaid Historic Aerials images from 1948 and 1964, and finally Google's current aerial. I actually compared a much larger area, but have cropped the images here.

mil.library.ucsb.edu/Historic Aerials/Google Maps

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corriganville View Post
Like HossC, I checked it out using multiple aerials and I also believe that Mackerm is correct.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Fantastic discovery, odinthor. ..Thanks so much!

Did anyone else notice the heart?

detail

First usage of subliminal bangs.

I'm DYIN'!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos