HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 7:29 PM
Creative Ambitions

Septa has a huge opportunity to win over alot of riders that would usually drive, it also shows the need for rail transportation in NE.

Now this happened on a sunday so we do not feel the impacts yet, but boy oh boy come monday we will have some issues.

I just drove up with the family after a weekend in Delaware with the In laws & signs are directed traffic to 295 which is smart.

The last time we had a major closure in the area was in Delaware with 495 when the bridge was found to be tilting due to illegal dumping at its base. I believe they corrected the issue in 3-6 months.

This sadly is a major part of 95 & while 295 can take over the traffic load, it wont work unless they cut all tolls for bridges in the Philly area. Otherwise traffic will overload streets & other arteries.

This also goes to show those who were saying highways needs to be dismantled in the area will see the true impacts of not having a highway

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I mean there literally is a rail line that runs mostly parallel with I-95

Check out the Trenton line for SEPTA regional rail. Stops in Tacony, Holmesburg, Torresdale, Cornwell Heights, Eddington, Croydon, Bristol, Levittown and Trenon. This line will take them into Center City/30th Street and Temple. This line can help relieve congestion. SEPTA should increase frequency on the Trenton and West Trenton lines to help everyone coming and going into the city from the North for sure.
This is a joke, Septa should increase frequency.

For the most part, people will continue to drive and really traffic will be okay because of the surrounding roads around the metro area.

Besides I will give this 5 weeks tops. I'm will to bet the FHA will write a blank check to fix this.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 8:02 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
This feels like a huge opportunity to get people onto SEPTA. Hopefully SEPTA responds to take advantage of this.
Sure, all they have to do is hire enough engineers and conductors to run increased service on the trains. That's been a big challenge for years and not only does it take the better part of a year to train an engineer, but many new hires wash out in the training. Think it's easy? For starters you must completely memorize the NORAC rule book: http://www.multimodalways.org/docs/r...201-1-1993.pdf

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Sounds like 20+ story residential building for Temple coming to North Broad between Oxford and Jefferson.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ster-plan.html

Here's an article about it

Quote:
Temple University is plotting a new mixed-use student housing building with 900 beds and 20,000 square feet of retail space, part of a broader development plan the school is undertaking along North Broad Street.

Under a partnership, the university plans to lease land it owns from 1518-1526 N. Broad St. to a developer who would build out and operate the project. Temple Chief Operating Officer Ken Kaiser declined to disclose the developer. He said the project is expected to be completed by the fall of 2026.

Temple purchased the four contiguous parcels between 2009 and 2014 for a combined $4.3 million, city property records show. All together, the properties total 22,000 square feet of what is currently vacant land. Each parcel is zoned CMX-4, allowing for commercial mixed-use development.

The new building would be market-rate housing and not Temple-affiliated under the partnership, Kaiser said.
A bit at the end that makes me nervous, because they're all beautiful well maintained properties:
Quote:
The school is currently charting its latest master plan, which Kaiser said it aims to have completed by the end of 2023. That plan will likely include potential development on the northern edge of the campus along Broad Street.

With a recent acquisition, the school now owns 11 of the 14 parcels on the 2000 block of North Broad between West Norris and Diamond streets, property records show. The block is located just outside of Temple's official campus boundaries, which extend up through Diamond Street on the east side of Broad, but not the west, where the newly acquired properties sit.
EDIT: Just remembered most of these buildings got placed in a historic district thankfully, but not the brownstones on the north side that were used by Messiah College. Not sure what their plans would be. Like I said on the previous page, Temple has demoed SO MUCH beautiful historic fabric on North Broad so I'm glad these got protected in time.

Last edited by PurpleWhiteOut; Jun 11, 2023 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 9:02 PM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Ahh this is the empty lot across from the plaza.

I remember I did some weed removal for the church that caught on fire, and the daughter of the pastor who owned the church was saying how temple kept trying to get the property to build a hotel, and that they were using tactics against them.

At the time when I said this before @Jayfar could find no documents pertaining to that other than a Facebook post from the son of the pastor.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 11:24 PM

Wrong thread for this, but since i mentioned it earlier I just thought I should follow up. It looks like SEPTA is responding to the I95 collapse with increased service levels. Great to see.

https://twitter.com/SEPTA_SOCIAL/sta...317669889?s=20

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 12:35 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
This feels like a huge opportunity to get people onto SEPTA. Hopefully SEPTA responds to take advantage of this.
I say it's a good start!
Now remove the rest of it!
TAKE THE TRAIN!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
This is a joke, Septa should increase frequency.

For the most part, people will continue to drive and really traffic will be okay because of the surrounding roads around the metro area.

Besides I will give this 5 weeks tops. I'm will to bet the FHA will write a blank check to fix this.
The speed with which this can be addressed isnt really about money. Its about how quickly you can design, procure and fabricate the structural elements needed to rebuild this. That will take some time no matter how much money you throw at the situation.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 1:00 PM

As someone in the design of bridge industry. I heard that they are planning on filling in underneath and placing a roadway on top. This will only take a couple of weeks. While that is happening, the structural elements will be procured using the plans that are only about 10 years old, construction finished just 8 years ago on that bridge. So there will be no design time for this replacement. It'll just be who how quickly they can get the steel and concrete. The bridge will also be staged to keep traffic open so I wouldn't be surprised if the final bridge isn't fully open for a year but it'll be open to traffic in not too much time.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 1:23 AM

Delete.

Last edited by Jawnadelphia; Jun 14, 2023 at 9:00 AM. Reason: Confusion!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 1:29 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Temple’s plan for a 900-bed city hospital is pretty massive. I was curious, the Mass. General Hospital complex in Boston is around 1,000 beds. Mount Sinai NYC is 1,162; Hopkins in Baltimore 1,139. I know hospitals don’t build tall for numerous reasons, but I’ll be curious to see some renderings for this.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...rica-2023.html
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ster-plan.html

This is student housing for 900-beds. Is there a referenced to 900-bed hospital?

Article says "Temple purchased the four contiguous parcels between 2009 and 2014 for a combined $4.3 million, city property records show. All together, the properties total 22,000 square feet of what is currently vacant land. Each parcel is zoned CMX-4, allowing for commercial mixed-use development."

Not particularly huge floor plates, so possibly up to 400 ft bldg including mixed-use model.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Temple’s plan for a 900-bed city hospital is pretty massive. I was curious, the Mass. General Hospital complex in Boston is around 1,000 beds. Mount Sinai NYC is 1,162; Hopkins in Baltimore 1,139. I know hospitals don’t build tall for numerous reasons, but I’ll be curious to see some renderings for this.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...rica-2023.html
It’s a 900 bed student housing building. For reference, Morgan Hall is 1,200 or 1,300 beds.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 8:57 AM

^nevermind! Haha, long day. I read that post as hospital, not! student housing. Wow. Well, either way, nice to see some new development up on North Broad.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 4:45 PM

BIO International Convention, attended by 20,000 industry leaders, coming back to Philadelphia

Quote:
The Biotechnology Innovation Organization's annual international convention, which last week attracted more than 20,000 attendees to Boston, is coming back to Philadelphia for a fifth time in 2027.

The industry trade group last held the BIO event in Philadelphia at the Pennsylvania Convention Center in 2019. The convention — used by the local biotech community to promote its standing as a leading hub for cell and gene therapy with billboards proclaiming the region as "Cellicon Valley" — drew 17,300 people to the city and generated an economic impact of more than $41 million for the region.

In a statement, Washington, D.C.-based BIO called Philadelphia a "recognized leader" in research and development.

"The tri-state region offers a vibrant ecosystem of top pharma and biotech companies, universities, academic medical centers and research institutions," the organization said. "We look forward to showcasing the region’s incredible contributions to the industry.”

Philadelphia also hosted the BIO convention in 1996, 2009 and 2015. Future host cities for the event will be San Diego in 2024 and 2026. Boston will again play host in 2025. The convention was virtual in 2020 and 2021 because of the pandemic.

Chris Molineaux, CEO of the statewide industry trade group Life Sciences Pennsylvania, said he was "absolutely delighted" to have the event coming back to Philadelphia.

He recently return from last week's convention in Boston and said the "event is back to its pre-pandemic energy and attendance."

Molineaux said the selection is also "an affirmation of Philadelphia's position as a leading hub for life sciences innovation and growth."

Bonnie Grant, executive director of PHL Life Sciences — a division of the Philadelphia Conventions and Visitors Bureau — calls the event the "premier convention for the life sciences industry" and notes the economic impact it will have for the local hospitality industry.
Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 4:51 PM

Quote:
BIO International Convention, attended by 20,000 industry leaders, coming back to Philadelphia

Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ladelphia.html

Cool news! And I will once again say...why are there not more hotel developments in the pipeline in Center City/University City??

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadcastthatboom View Post
Cool news! And I will once again say...why are there not more hotel developments in the pipeline in Center City/University City??
Absolutely nuts.

When conventions come to town, there isn't a hotel bed to be had until you get outside of Cherry Hill.

There is such a massive dearth of accommodations in this town it's almost inconceivable.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Absolutely nuts.

When conventions come to town, there isn't a hotel bed to be had until you get outside of Cherry Hill.

There is such a massive dearth of accommodations in this town it's almost inconceivable.
And with the World Cup coming it's insane.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 8:45 PM
Me?!?

Yep many stories about having a rough time finding people a place to stay and with more and more large events/a few events at the same time, some lasting days, it's a necessity.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 8:51 PM

Quote:
The "Lawn at Ucity Square" was fenced in the last time I went by a few days ago. I doubt it means anything but that site is proposed for a hotel eventually. I haven't been back to see if they took the fence down since.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 11:11 PM

Quote:
We should spread out the hotels a bit more. Agreed U City probably can use more hotel growth. The stadiums, navy yard, Fishtown/nolibs can all support more hotels.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations