HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
That's exactly what it was. People told the legislature before it was built it was a terrible location, from construction on a marsh, and sticking it in the middle of nowhere with no easy access to utilities or dependent services, and they didn't care. It freed up the expensive land in Draper as a kickback to their developer donors and put a stick in SLCs eye, just like the in-land port corruption scheme.
This. This this this. Any time the topic of the new prison came up in conversation with friends or family, that spilled out of my face with no breaths in between. I CAN'T STOP IT.

And now what they're going to build in Draper will be uninspired, another industrial park MAYBE NOW WITH SWIG ZOMG YOU GUYS SWIG YAY

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 7:08 AM
Exit 298

I'm ever so pissed at "The Point" project.

It's not even a "new downtown." It's just "phase two" of the Texas-style mess of Thanksgiving Point. But at least Thanksgiving Point could shrug and say it just sort of happened. This is a centrally-planned disaster.

Quote:
That's exactly what it was. People told the legislature before it was built it was a terrible location, from construction on a marsh, and sticking it in the middle of nowhere with no easy access to utilities or dependent services, and they didn't care. It freed up the expensive land in Draper as a kickback to their developer donors and put a stick in SLCs eye, just like the in-land port corruption scheme.
Also: Utilities

A big reason why the Northwest Quadrant was never developed was the astronomical cost to bring water, sewer, and power out to the site. By shoving the prison to the farthest usable edge of the site— and stringing utilities all the way out there— it opens up development for all the land between the prison and the freeway. And wouldntyaknowit... with street frontage and utilities!

Corporate welfare or Keynesian economics. Perhaps a bit of both (it's your call). But that's what we got.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Not even developer donors. A large number of legislators themselves are developers.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 2:28 AM

Central Metro/East - Park City - Mayflower Resort - March/April 2022, Including Latest October/November Updates

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...18#post9813918

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 9:07 AM

The Point

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2022/12/...-central-park/

Updated info/renderings of the first phase of The Point

Interesting snips from that article:

Quote:
The Point’s construction will be some of the densest seen anywhere in Utah, rivaling that of downtown Salt Lake City, according to Abbey Ehman, a spokesperson for Innovation Point Partners, the consortium of development firms teaming up with the state.
Quote:
With Utah in the midst of a dire lack of affordable homes, the plans also call for more than 3,000 multifamily units — all intended as state-owned rentals at this stage.

Up to 20% of those dwellings will be kept more affordable, with a stated intent of creating a new community “for Utahns from all walks and stages of life.”
Quote:
The Point also centers on mixing land uses, with no more than half the acreage devoted to residential and with homes threaded closely with commercial spaces.
She and others said that mixed-use approach — and reliance on two planned transit stations serving The Point on a specially built TRAX extension — are central to The Point’s success.
Quote:
Demolition of the old prison started last month and will stretch well into next year.

After installation of critical utilities for The Point, vertical construction could begin as early as 2026, although officials say that will be flexible and driven by market conditions.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 9:13 PM

Pearson Butler Law Firm - Completed

“Thrive Development helped make our goals a reality.

The Parkway Office project in South Jordan, UT was developed for a partnertenant, Pearson Butler Attorneys at Law. This is a two level 21,650 square foot corporate office building featuring beautiful modern architecture inside and out. The tenants offer the residents of the South Salt Lake Valley a mix of professional services including Pearson Butler Attorneys at Law, First Colony Mortgage, and Common Sense Financial Planners. Carson Pearson, Managing Member of Pearson Butler says:

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 8:38 PM

Old RC Willey in Murray

The old RC Willey in Murray on 6400 S and 900 E is almost all demolished. The building is down. Now they are clearing away the rubble. That's a huge plot of land in a good location. Has anyone heard if there are plans for development?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 1:18 AM
Lahaina Strong

My concern over the new U Health West Valley Hospital.

I know this project has been in the works for a while, though today's Tribune article shares a render that looks pretty skimpy compared to what has been shared in the past.

Shared today

Shared last year

Master plan renders from 2 years ago.

I really hope I'm reading this wrong, but the tribune certainly lacks technical details in their article.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBison View Post
The old RC Willey in Murray on 6400 S and 900 E is almost all demolished. The building is down. Now they are clearing away the rubble. That's a huge plot of land in a good location. Has anyone heard if there are plans for development?
Unfortunately, it is only going to be about 100ish townhomes. I am happy for more housing but, there were plans for a mixed-use development there and the City Council voted the zone change down.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsmallwood View Post
Unfortunately, it is only going to be about 100ish townhomes. I am happy for more housing but, there were plans for a mixed-use development there and the City Council voted the zone change down.
Damn, what a shame. I searched a little bit and found a city council meeting packet from 2021 talking about the zone change, and my God, the NIMBY's were out in full force talking about crime and drugs from increased density. It's unfortunate that they won this battle, cause that location with easy access to I-215 and on a busy road (900 E) is perfect for a mixed-use development.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 1:04 PM

Though I can understand the neighborhood wanting to keep it a little more geared toward Townhome housing. That area is quite close to some pretty upscale housing and is also in fairly close proximity to major commercial development on just about all sides. Murray is already so saturated with large commercial parks. If anything, existing commercial nodes such as downtown Murray and Fashion Place, also perhaps Union District should be the focus for greater vertical density. IMO, downtown Murray is underdeveloped in the way of mixed-use. Don't even get me started with the potential still not fully realized with Fashion Place's true mixed-use. If anything, those are the areas where the mixed-use density should be explored more aggressively.

COVID has had a huge impact on commercial/retail development profitability of any kind. Murray has lost a lot of both larger commercial establishments like RC Willey and also its mom-and-pop commercial. Murray is faced now with being over-saturated commercially. For any savvy developer watching their bottom line and scouring the latest consumer psychic and its demographic impacts, more residential density can be justified, but mixed-use retail or small business restaurants are not going to fly in a traditional suburb area such as that RC Willey location.

Edit: In many ways, the Salt Lake Valley density development is becoming very much like the Central L.A. Basin. However, a number of Central L.A. districts are at this point much denser than Salt Lake, yet districts such as Melrose or Hollywood etc. have been struggling and are undergoing major small business realignments. My own downtown area, which was rich with ethnic mom-and-pop shops has numerous shuttered locations. Even for those born as late as the early 2000's this is an America they did not grow up in.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 2, 2023 at 2:42 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 8:22 PM

I agree with you on this Delts, downtown Murray is VERY Underdeveloped. I know the City has released plans for the area that show it being a very dense downtown environment. I wonder what hurdles are standing in the way or that being realized.

As for the WVC Health Center. My guess is that the rendering that were just released are simply the initial phase. Rember back to Lone Peak Medical Center in Draper, it was originally built with one single building, and now has three, along with several additions to those three. IMC has continued to increase in number of buildings as well. The same will be true with the new Downtown hospital on the Sears block.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 8:16 PM

Timberlane partners of Seattle has acquired a parcel in West Valley city directly west of Costco at Valley Fair Mall and are actively working to build a 263 unit multi family complex dubbed Back 9 Apartments.

Looks like it will be another podium-style apartment building

Renderings on their site look basic and unimaginative just like the name of the project. I guess it is better than nothing.

You can see the exact location in the WVC council minutes on the last page of this PDF document.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 12:02 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Anyone know what’s going where the 49th street Galleria was? They are currently tearing it down… haven’t heard anything about it.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Anyone know what’s going where the 49th street Galleria was? They are currently tearing it down… haven’t heard anything about it.
City hasn't had an official application, but it is allowed up 40 du/ac and requires some sort of commercial. So, just a tear down right now. I can promise you it will be underwhelming.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
I miss the 49th street galleria/Utah fun dome.

Many fun memories

Old Posted Apr 9, 2023, 8:13 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
I miss the 49th street galleria/Utah fun dome.

Many fun memories
I was in junior high when the Fun Dome gave out students passes for "a free, fun day" for getting good grades. My friends and I would load up in his older brother's nasty blue Suburban and spend an entire day there.

A free wristband, a free slice of pizza, and even some tokens for the arcade all free. Naturally, the place was PACKED with young teens like us. It was so fun. It's no wonder it went out of business. None of us spent any money.

Always dreamed of winning the lottery and returning it to its former glory. But it sounds like that ship has forever sailed.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 3:49 AM
Lahaina Strong

Here's Murray's new City Hall.

I understand that there is controversy surrounding the disposition of the old one.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 3:16 PM

I like how the new City Hall turned out. Great photo. The Murray Journal should update its website with this pic.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 3:58 PM

New Millcreek City Hall

MHTN Architects continues to work closely with city and community leaders on fleshing out details for the new Millcreek City Hall. Located at 1330 E Chambers Avenue (3205 South), the new Millcreek City Hall will have the following amenities:

Ground Floor:
Public Market
Cafe
Restaurant entrepreneur incubator space
Open area for rotating market events

Second Floor:
125-seat City Council chamber ("Community Forum")
Reception area for City Hall and UPD

Third Floor:
UPD Millcreek Precinct headquarters

Fourth/Fifth Floor:
City employee offices & conference rooms

Sixth Floor:
175-seat Community Room accessible for rentals by the public
Outdoor balcony with commanding views of the Wasatch Front and Millcreek Common below

March 17, 2022 - Groundbreaking

May 6, 2023

Photos By Tchild2

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West