HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 4:46 PM

And in other Freddy News, the city is seeking feedback on the proposed Ward changes.

They are maintaining 12 wards, 6 per side. Overall, it doesn't seem too bad. The population balances seem good, and the regions seem decent. Ward 4 has a bit of a dogleg to it that seems awkward, especially since it puts Main street and area in the same ward as the other side of the Ring road.

It also looks like Chateau Heights is adding about 500 people to Freddy's population in 2018.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 4:56 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Thanks for the population update on the future amalgamation! I was curious.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 5:49 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Saint John's looking for funds for SJTransit. Makes me wish Freddy Transit would look into this too. A few new buses alone would finally let them retire those 80's era buses that they still haul out.

And a pipe dream, but I'd love for them to grab the old bus station on Regent and King, and make that the transit hub for the city (Let Maritime Transit come back in to rent some space for pickups/dropoffs). In the early 2000's I was in Kitchener, and their Transit Hub would be perfect for Freddy's needs for now. Basically a station with a store to buy tickets and pick up schedules (and snackbar), and a crosswalk out to a covered sidewalk waiting area where buses can pull up on either side. Put the Northbound on one side and the Southbound on another and they'd be all set. (Kitchener's station had a skywalk to get out to the routes, but that would be overkill at this stage of Freddy's system)

If you want new buses then the rates will have to go up. then people will complain about that. Long as the buses work that is the main thing. Sure my car is a 2009 I would love a new one too. You interested in buying it Taelos ? you will get the friends discount

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 6:11 PM

Maintenance costs and Fuel efficiency costs are things to consider too. The parts for buses made in the 80's can't be as easy to get, nor can running them for 14 hours a day 6 days a week, at least compared to modern buses.

Eventually the cost of a new bus IS cheaper, which is what Saint John is getting at. (They are also looking to improve their transit hub as well). Freddy Transit did get 2 new buses a couple of years ago, but they are still running 2 or 3 buses from late 80's/early 90's. Those old buses have got to be getting near the "Penny saved; Pound foolish" stage of the budget sheets. (As in "Ok they cost X$ a year to run and maintain now every year... But if we replace them with a new bus now for Y$, it will cost Z$ per year to run, and X$*5 years > Y$ + Z$*5 years )

And I'm sure you as a DRIVER would appreciate NOT being stuck behind an old bus spewing out a thick cloud of black diesel smoke heading up Smythe street or across the bridge.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 6:19 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Maintenance costs and Fuel efficiency costs are things to consider too. The parts for buses made in the 80's can't be as easy to get, nor can running them for 14 hours a day 6 days a week, at least compared to modern buses.

Eventually the cost of a new bus IS cheaper, which is what Saint John is getting at. (They are also looking to improve their transit hub as well). Freddy Transit did get 2 new buses a couple of years ago, but they are still running 2 or 3 buses from late 80's/early 90's. Those old buses have got to be getting near the "Penny saved; Pound foolish" stage of the budget sheets. (As in "Ok they cost X$ a year to run and maintain now every year... But if we replace them with a new bus now for Y$, it will cost Z$ per year to run, and X$*5 years > Y$ + Z$*5 years )

And I'm sure you as a DRIVER would appreciate NOT being stuck behind an old bus spewing out a thick cloud of black diesel smoke heading up Smythe street or across the bridge.

Happens all the time, old cars / old buses etc. Do the buses from the 80's even have AC ? You should run for city concuil you seem to know more about numbers. id throw you a vote in ward 2

Last edited by Blue Blazer; Oct 29, 2014 at 6:20 PM. Reason: WARD 2 call out

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 6:23 PM

Are the buses in that rough shape they need replacing? Im sure they will when like you said it cost more to maintain then to buy new.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 6:43 PM

Most of them aren't, and overall the fleet is in good shape IMO. But there are at least 2 buses that are 20+ years old at this point; most Transit companies try to have a fleet around 10 years old on average at most. They're the buses with the brown colour scheme inside and the doors you step down and push to get out of; unlike the rest of the fleet, they are not the flat-floor design, so you also have to step up a few steps to get in them. They used to have the canvas Destination signs, but the revamp last summer they had to put in electronic boards. I think they are numbers 8911 and 8913.

While it's obvious they're doing their best to keep them in decent shape, they do sound rougher than the newer buses.

And NONE of Freddy Transit's buses have AC, nor do they need it.

And if there's an opportunity (programs) available that may give FT a chance to improve their services, they should be looking into them like SJTransit is.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 6:53 PM
Any where but Fredericton

I remember taking the city bus in 1998-1999 while I went to Compu College, I always remember in the summer they were like stepping in a sauna. If they want new buses the tax payers will have to foot a good chunk of the bill. let alone paying for Willie O ree and Grant Harvey and the Convention center. I cant see there being more money for new buses.

I wonder if they are still talking about getting that new indoor pool on the southside ?

IMHO, I think we are slowly getting over our head in spending here

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev71 View Post
IMHO, I think we are slowly getting over our head in spending here
But I wanted a roundabout at Waterloo/Lincoln/Beaverbrook/Forest Hill!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 9:41 PM

I have heard speculation/predictions that the $3 Million put into the York this winter may not be enough. I wouldn't be surprised if some irreparable structural flaw is uncovered and the building is condemned. I have already heard proposals to remove the roof and keep the stands and dressing rooms, making a nice usable outdoor rink.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
I have heard speculation/predictions that the $3 Million put into the York this winter may not be enough. I wouldn't be surprised if some irreparable structural flaw is uncovered and the building is condemned. I have already heard proposals to remove the roof and keep the stands and dressing rooms, making a nice usable outdoor rink.
I think that is too much to fix an old building. Sure the York arena has some memories for alot of people. But there comes a time when enough is enough.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev71 View Post
I think that is too much to fix an old building. Sure the York arena has some memories for alot of people. But there comes a time when enough is enough.
im sure its cheaper then building a new one.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 4:01 PM

Noticed Bell Aliant has opened a store at Nashwaaksis Place (Superstore Mall).

Also noted surveying taking place this AM at the former Main Street Canadian Tire

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 6:08 PM

Quote:
But I wanted a roundabout at Waterloo/Lincoln/Beaverbrook/Forest Hill!

What you want and what your going to get are going to be two seperate things. I was told that as a child haha

But dont travel that way too often but that would be a great idea. I drove down that way last month and there is alot of stop signs and cars coming each way, accident waiting to happen

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 7:01 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Noticed Bell Aliant has opened a store at Nashwaaksis Place (Superstore Mall).

Also noted surveying taking place this AM at the former Main Street Canadian Tire

That is going to save the northside and bring more business here now. Isnt there already a Cox Electronics that sells bell mobilty next to the old eye sore Canadian Tire building

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
That is going to save the northside and bring more business here now. Isnt there already a Cox Electronics that sells bell mobilty next to the old eye sore Canadian Tire building
There is, and it's way better than the Bell Store at the mall. I wouldn't be surprised if it stops selling Bell phones if the new Bell place has better selection.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
There is, and it's way better than the Bell Store at the mall. I wouldn't be surprised if it stops selling Bell phones if the new Bell place has better selection.

Good Riddance Cox store shouldnt be allowed to sell phone there after they sold my wife a used phone and said it was new. I had to fight with them to get our money back. Its hard when you have proof from Aliant at the time even said it was registered at one time.

I am glad to finally have an offical bell store on the northside in Fredericton.

Hey if the regent mall can have 7 different cell phone stores, I am sure we can handle at least one

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 2:19 PM

Wonder if this will result in Rogers opening up a store on the North Side?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 2:25 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Wonder if this will result in Rogers opening up a store on the North Side?

Brookside Mall, lots of spaces avaiable and very cheap rent. Would be a great place for it. Now if i only used Rogers

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 2:34 PM

Some interesting tidbits re the meeting last night re the future of the Playhouse. Apparently they are looking at two sites....city owned land behind the Justice Building and the former SMT land on King. The most important point made was that a refurbished venue is pretty much a non-starter. Once everything is bought up to code the total seating would shrink from approx. 800 to about 450! So the obvious path forward is 45+ million for a new building which would have a main area seating capacity of 850+ plus a second smaller venue for 200-300 seats plus other amenities that the rest of the world has access to. There are various configurations as to whether is would be a single building or two adjacent buildings.

I think that there should be one building and use it as a catalyst to develop the former SMT lot. Could see the Playhouse 2.0, condos/offices and restaurants in that area and would dramatically transform the downtown.

The riverfront site is "sexy" but challenge would be parking and access let alone out annual flood scare

Last edited by Freddypop; Oct 31, 2014 at 3:29 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces