HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Doesn't alfalfa that's exported to China represent a significant portion of our agricultural water use? I don't know how much more nuance there is to it than that, but if that is true, it seems like incentiving those farmers to grow climate-appropriate crops that are used domestically would go a long way to reducing agricultural water use.
My understanding is that Alfalfa farming in Utah accounts for between 40% and 50% of all agricultural water in the State (nearly 40% of the entire water supply for the State). Of this, nearly 80% of the Alfalfa is shipped overseas, 15% is used in the United States, and the last 5% is used in Utah.

Nearly 60% of the Alfalfa grown in Utah is in the Great Salt Lake watershed area. This, has contributed to less water reaching the GSL in the last 10 years than all water diversions in the last 50 years.

I would be perfectly fine with incentivizing Alfalfa farmers to grow products that are better for the climate, grow a forest of trees, or even letting the land return to a natural state. If even 1 in 5 Alfalfa farmers accepted this offer, it would have a measurable impact to water levels.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 2:33 PM

Good information Makid. My only question would be how much would that affect our In-State agricultural community as far as cost to compensate the alfalfa farmers and maintain the local cattle, sheep, and dairy industry. If only 5% of the alfalfa is going to In-State but a large share of that 80% to the CCP then I would be all for some major adjustments. Take a big chunk of that eighty percent and convert it to enhancing the Great Salt Lake. There's a lot more at stake for the State coffers as far as missed Lake opportunities than whatever dollars we gain from the CCP SLAVE STATE!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Are you advocating draining Lake Powell? That would be a non-starter where I'm concerned.
I don't think that is necessarily what Wasatch is saying... It wouldn't be 'drained' but occupy its natural footprint and this would be a win for water security. Lake Powell exists at the expense of flooding a massive canyon that was extremely biodiverse and considered a natural wonder. Also, it specifically is a huge water waster compared to other reservoirs and even Lake Mead. We can make huge investments in water but shouldn't repeat the same mistakes

$225m annually lost to evaporation at Lake Powell
https://www.glencanyon.org

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Are you advocating draining Lake Powell? That would be a non-starter where I'm concerned.

I would seriously have to doubt your evaporation statistics, given what was presented as fact regarding Utah Lake reclamation. Note, I'm not devaluing your personal opinion on the matter but I am questioning the information you were given. I would want a lot more info. before any redevelopment of the Lake took place, whatever the mode of redevelopment taken. It would seem like there is a lot of misinformation and hyperbole going on from both sides of the issue, both from island proponents and particularly on some of the information you gleaned from the opponents of the redevelopment of Utah Lake. Many of the claims from the information you presented regarding the island information were patently false or at best outdated. Please refer to this post:
"Due to its high desert location and huge surface area, Lake Powell loses an average of 860,000 AF of water annually to evaporation and bank seepage. Glen Canyon Dam is unnecessary and counterproductive to the water storage and delivery purposes for which it was built. Each year, enough water is wasted by the dam to supply the entire City of Los Angeles. That’s three times Nevada’s annual allotment and enough to supply the Salt Lake Valley for five years. It essentially serves as a water meter to measure the upper basin’s delivery to the lower basin. However, it is a 'leaky faucet' which makes delivering that water more difficult for the upper basin."

https://www.glencanyon.org/lake-powe...iled-solution/

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
My understanding is that Alfalfa farming in Utah accounts for between 40% and 50% of all agricultural water in the State (nearly 40% of the entire water supply for the State). Of this, nearly 80% of the Alfalfa is shipped overseas, 15% is used in the United States, and the last 5% is used in Utah.

Nearly 60% of the Alfalfa grown in Utah is in the Great Salt Lake watershed area. This, has contributed to less water reaching the GSL in the last 10 years than all water diversions in the last 50 years.

I would be perfectly fine with incentivizing Alfalfa farmers to grow products that are better for the climate, grow a forest of trees, or even letting the land return to a natural state. If even 1 in 5 Alfalfa farmers accepted this offer, it would have a measurable impact to water levels.
Thank you for this info. This shows how unsustainable our current agricultural production is. It simply isn't sustainable to keep using water how we do in this state. I'm glad that the state legislature is starting to take the issue more seriously, but I think there's still a long ways to go.

I didn't realize the Lake Powell discussion had continued more here, so I'll repost what I posted over in the Provo MSA topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I know this is a side note and a controversial opinion, but I think I might agree with Wasatch Wonderland on Lake Powell. It's quite unsustainable, and its recreational value is rapidly diminishing as its water level gets lower every year. Its days are numbered with climate change, and honestly we're just delaying the inevitable. I know a lot of people have an emotional attachment to the lake, but is it worth the environmental drawbacks?
Seems not as controversial of an opinion as I thought.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2022, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Are you advocating draining Lake Powell?
Yes.

On an unrelated note, does anyone want to help pitch in on a couple of houseboats?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2022, 7:04 PM

Quote:

I would seriously have to doubt your evaporation statistics, given what was presented as fact regarding Utah Lake reclamation. Note, I'm not devaluing your personal opinion on the matter but I am questioning the information you were given. I would want a lot more info. before any redevelopment of the Lake took place, whatever the mode of redevelopment taken. It would seem like there is a lot of misinformation and hyperbole going on from both sides of the issue, both from island proponents and particularly on some of the information you gleaned from the opponents of the redevelopment of Utah Lake. Many of the claims from the information you presented regarding the island information were patently false or at best outdated. Please refer to this post:
Long post, but please read. Lots of information.

It’s not misinformation if 800,000+ Acre feet lost to evaporation at Lake Powell, on a river with an average annual contribution to Powell of 2,500,000 AF, = 1/3, then it’s just math. Yes, a massive proportion of the entire annual flow of the Colorado is lost to evaporation/seepage when you total the loss statistics at Powell, Mead, Mojave, and Havasu. While it’s not common knowledge, it’s unfortunately true.

When Glen Canyon and the Hoover Dam were constructed, their lake volumes were calculated off precipitation collections from only the past few decades. With expanded research/understanding measuring precipitation going back tens of thousands of years, we now know that those measurements were taken during an extremely wet period. Thus, based off the TRUE average rainfall patterns of the mountain west, we now know that we will rarely, if ever, have the volume of water to fill both Powel and Mead. Keeping both jeopardizes electricity production at both, dramatically increases water loss, and continues to cause sever environmental degradation. Removing one (in this case Powell) to fill Lake Mead guarantees long term electrical generation, INCREASES total water volume, and resolves the most severe environmental issues of the upper Colorado and Grand Canyon.

Side note, from a purely economic viewpoint, draining lake Powell (and subsequent increase in water supply) DRASTICALLY outweighs the economic impact of a few hundred houseboats. It’s not even comparable. There is little to no local economy that the lake supports, it generates ~2% of the mountain west’s electricity, and it exists purely for water metering, something that a Dam isn’t even necessary for.

While on the surface it seems radical, it has been a legitimate discussion/option for some time now among water/river planning and management circles. There is an extensive amount of ongoing research and recently started long term studies evaluating the impact and benefits of draining Lake Powell. Quite frankly from a pure numbers standpoint, the conclusion is becoming obvious. The cultural perceptions and emotional attachments are the biggest barriers.

The claims on Palm Jumeirah weren’t false… only 1 was ever completed and developed. The rest remain undeveloped, uncompleted, or cancelled. And yes, they are sinking. And no, the Islands of the world are not under development. https://tomorrow.city/a/dubai-man-made-islands

The Utah Lake Reclamation information presented/linked isn’t patently false, it’s a compilation of hundreds of experts and decades of research, something the Lake proposal is lacking entirely. Again, please review the previously linked information from prior posts.

If considering draining Lake Powell is a non starter, and considering developing Utah Lake or giving it some validity by looking at it as a “both sides” kind of issue, then I think that’s pretty telling of the hopelessness of trying to solve Utah’s water issues if we continue to hold onto these types of outdated perceptions.

Last edited by Wasatch Wasteland; Feb 13, 2022 at 7:52 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 7:40 PM

Decker Station Apartments

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 9:21 PM

Orlando! Where is this?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 9:52 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Orlando! Where is this?
With the name Decker Station I am going to guess North of the Maverick Center around Decker Lake. I know a page or two back there was some other information about a housing development in that area. I don't know if this is the same development or it's a new one.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 3:55 PM

I was wondering Orlando at what stage the Decker project is at...Approved, Under Construction? Ae Urbia has a lot of interesting projects they've completed. They're headquartered in Orem

https://www.aeurbia.com/index.php
Quote:
ae urbia
AE stands for architecture and engineering. URBIA is the state of belonging to; a group, company or community...which is rich in experience and design, facilitated through the integration of form, function and feeling.

AE URBIA is a group of architects and engineers devoted to improving companies, communities, and cities by creating “great spaces,” which provide rich experiences and improve efficiencies, regardless of size and location. They combine form and function with materials and technologies to find creative, sustainable and cost effective design solutions in a timely manner. They are dedicated to improving the quality of life, experiences and the bottom line for their clients.

AE URBIA has expertise in both commercial and residential projects and is currently licensed in more than 20 states and has worked in over 15 countries. They have successfully completed over 4,500 projects and have won over 80 design awards. They are recognized for their creativity, speed of delivery and fun nature. Notable projects include: the LDS Jerusalem Set, the Polynesian Cultural Center Renovation (w/MLD), The Laie Hawaii Courtyard Marriott, Pirates Cove, Leadbetter Farms, Jurassic Park Universal Studios, the Atlantis Resorts in Nassau & Dubai, Thanksgiving Point (w/Alex Schiel), Pluralsight, the Oklahoma City Whitewater Park (w/Cloward H2o), and many others.

AE URBIA has both in-house architectural design and structural engineering expertise and are capable of producing any type of project, of any size, anywhere in the world.

AE URBIA is a sister company of J.M. Williams and Associates Inc. (JMWA). James Williams is a licensed architect, structural engineer, civil engineer, professional engineer and LEED AP.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 5:35 AM

Quote:
I was wondering Orlando at what stage the Decker project is at...Approved, Under Construction? Ae Urbia has a lot of interesting projects they've completed. They're headquartered in Orem

https://www.aeurbia.com/index.php
Their headquarters is actually in South Jordan, not Orem.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 2:08 PM

Snowbird to replace its 50-year-old tram cabins, offer riders a rooftop experience

Carter Williams for KSL.com - https://www.ksl.com/article/50359149...top-experience

LITTLE COTTONWOOD CANYON — People riding the tram at Snowbird will soon get an experience unlike any other in the country.

Resort officials on Tuesday unveiled the design of two new cabins for its tram service to Hidden Peak, which will offer a rooftop balcony for riders in the summer months — a first-of-its-kind feature in the United States.

The current aerial tram cabins, which date back to Snowbird's opening in 1971 and have traveled close to 795,000 miles, will make their last run on April 3 before they are retired. The tram service will remain offline while the new tram cabins are installed.

The new tram cabins are expected to be up and running in late June.

"As Snowbird celebrates its 50th anniversary, we are recognizing both our storied past and making a thrilling upgrade to our iconic aerial tram," said Dave Fields, president and general manager of Snowbird, in a statement Tuesday. "The tram and Snowbird have provided year-round excitement for five decades, but the new tram cabins promise to take this excitement to a whole new level."

The new cabins were constructed by the Doppelmayr Group in Olten, Switzerland, and are currently on the way to their permanent home at the resort in Little Cottonwood Canyon, according to Snowbird executives. They say the cabins with a "sleek exterior design" will feature floor-to-ceiling windows and three, 3-foot by 3-foot glass floor panels so riders can view the ground below.

The roof balcony has enough space for as many as 15 people, who will have "unobstructed 360-degree views of Peruvian Gulch, Mount Superior, and more, as an upgrade to summertime scenic tram rides," according to Snowbird.

The rooftop balcony will be available to riders during the summertime once the tram is back in service in June.

Snowbird Adding New Tram Cars With Rooftop Balconies

Matt Lorelli for Unofficial Networks - https://unofficialnetworks.com/2022/...top-balconies/

The new cabins will feature a summer rooftop balcony and glass floor panels

Snowbird just dropped some bombshell news. They are replacing their tram cars with brand-new cars that will feature glass floors and rooftop balconies for summer travel.

Snowbird is the first ski resort in the US to install these cars.

I can’t wait to see what these new cars look like. They’re going to be incredible to ride in the summer. Soaking in those views from a moving tram’s rooftop balcony in Little Cottonwood Canyon is going to be amazing.

The new trams are expected to open in Late June 2022.

Snowbird, UT, to Get New Trams | First in the United States With Rooftop Balcony – SnowBrains

After 50 years of transporting millions of skiers and snowboarders to Snowbird’s 11,000-foot Hidden Peak, the resort’s iconic Aerial Tram will get new Tram cabins this spring. The original Tram cabins have traveled approximately 794,994 miles during their lifetime—the same distance as traveling to the Moon and back over one and a half times. Snowbird worked closely with The Doppelmayr Group on this exciting upgrade, and after two years of planning, the new Tram cabins have been completed in Olten, Switzerland, and are on their way to their permanent home.

BREAKING NEWS - Snowbird...After 50 years of hard work, the original Snowbird Tram cabins are retiring & something exciting is taking their place. Introducing the shape of things to come - brand new Tram cabins featuring the latest technologies and features available around the world, including the only rooftop Tram balconies in the United States. Construction will begin the first week of April and is expected to be finished for the summer season in late June...

...With a few inches of new snow & frosty temps, some of the top up-and-coming freeride skiers & riders gathered at the Bird to throw down for a 4* @ifsafreeriders World Qualifier event. Here's a glimpse of yesterday's action...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 10:57 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
With the name Decker Station I am going to guess North of the Maverick Center around Decker Lake. I know a page or two back there was some other information about a housing development in that area. I don't know if this is the same development or it's a new one.
Good guess. I found the LinkedIn post.

Quote:
We are excited to announce the ground breaking of Decker Station Apartments, a new multifamily community just north of the Maverick Center, in West Valley City, UT!

Consisting of 2.79 acres, the site is conveniently located along
Decker Lake Drive, adjacent to the Decker Lake Trax Station. This site boasts quick access to Valley Fair Mall, a host of high quality dining and
entertainment options, employers, downtown Salt Lake City and the Salt Lake International Airport. The property is within walking proximity of parks, restaurants, entertainment, and other services. Decker Station will consist of 219 Class A multifamily apartment units in studio, one bed and two bed varieties.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 2:22 AM

U of U in West Valley

UU proposes inpatient /outpatient / training facility in West Valley.

https://attheu.utah.edu/facultystaff...valley-vision/

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 4:08 PM
Space Magi

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
It is mentioned in the article that traffic is a concern and work will be done to help mitigate this. I have a perfect idea for UTA/UDoT.

Trax Black line. U of U Hospital station (current) to Airport, International Center, down 5600 W to connect with the Trax Red line. Give a single seat connection between the 2 large medical complexes while also connecting the International Center to the greater transit network.

It could also create a 2nd transit hub on the west side of SLC, be it near the airport or near the International Center. The west side transit center could help improve transit connections and be a north western connection for a Tooele FrontRunner line. A westside FrontRunner line that would extend from the center southward (west of Utah Lake) and join the existing FrontRunner line south of Utah Lake. A westside airport connection. 5600 West transit link. International Center transit system, and a future transit system through the inland port.

This could easily be spun as a win to the Legislature as it would help spur development of the international center and inland port in a more sustainable way while helping to improve the air quality.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 9:35 PM

Quote:
It is mentioned in the article that traffic is a concern and work will be done to help mitigate this. I have a perfect idea for UTA/UDoT.

Trax Black line. U of U Hospital station (current) to Airport, International Center, down 5600 W to connect with the Trax Red line. Give a single seat connection between the 2 large medical complexes while also connecting the International Center to the greater transit network.

It could also create a 2nd transit hub on the west side of SLC, be it near the airport or near the International Center. The west side transit center could help improve transit connections and be a north western connection for a Tooele FrontRunner line. A westside FrontRunner line that would extend from the center southward (west of Utah Lake) and join the existing FrontRunner line south of Utah Lake. A westside airport connection. 5600 West transit link. International Center transit system, and a future transit system through the inland port.

This could easily be spun as a win to the Legislature as it would help spur development of the international center and inland port in a more sustainable way while helping to improve the air quality.
The Green Line should just continue west on 3500 S to Magna.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
The Green Line should just continue west on 3500 S to Magna.
I definitely agree. I think that the intersection of 3500 S and 5600 W should be a higher density development. That area is just missing better transit to being transformed.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 3:26 AM

Quote:
I definitely agree. I think that the intersection of 3500 S and 5600 W should be a higher density development. That area is just missing better transit to being transformed.

I'm annoyed that the hospital isn't being built on this similar sized parcel(s) closer to 3500 S, which would put it closer to a future Green Line stop.

The blue square seems similar in size, but if they demolished some residential, they could have more area for expansion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West