HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 6:05 PM

Well done on that one Blackcat, project website doesn't even have it yet-
http://8150sunset.com/

I live just above this and will be watching closely to see how the neighborhood Nimbys react to the new plan.

Oops, looks like credit goes to Archrecord.com, but you are killing it regardless.

I see a rather strong resemblance to the oft delayed Grand Ave project, I think this one has a better shot at getting built tho.

Last edited by Steve8263; Aug 26, 2015 at 7:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 8:42 PM

Its visually very interesting, but his designs are becoming tired. Its the same stuff over and over again.

Anyways, i hope this gets built and really jump starts a building boom in that area. It looks so worn and ready for change

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
http://urbanize.la/post/new-gehry-pa...-strip-project

Frank Gehry's design for 8150 Sunset Boulevard

Gee, woulda never guessed

Couldn't agree more with you LASF.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 12:21 AM

I prefer the older design, this one looks just like a mini Grand Ave Project. It would be like déjà vu if both Gehry designs were to push through therefore the "uniqueness" of these designs will start to wear off.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 12:58 AM
Heavy User

I'm cool with the design. Barcelona has half a dozen Gaudi buildings and nobody bats an eye. LA would be just fine with 3 Gehrys.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Phil View Post
I'm cool with the design. Barcelona has half a dozen Gaudi buildings and nobody bats an eye. LA would be just fine with 3 Gehrys.
I'd be fine with dozens of Gehrys. Gehry Grand Ave, Gehry River, Gehry Sunset Strip, whatever. It just annoys me how little variety there can be among different projects. I see it more as redundancy than a particular style or aesthetic.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 7:10 AM

Frank Gehry is based in the LA area. IMO, We should have an abundance of what our local architects are putting out. It's what regionalizes a city. Other cities that have Gehry works are merely a planting of LA architecture. Gehry, AC Martin, AECOM, Morphosis, (Gasp!!!) TCA; and countless others based here, these are the defining people shaping our city's identity today. Much like Paris or London of yore had probably the same architects designing their whole city; which is now why we like them so much, this in my opinion is the same thing.

Last edited by hughfb3; Aug 27, 2015 at 7:38 AM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 2:32 PM

http://urbanize.la/post/one-more-bou...otel-hollywood

Boutique hotel planned on Cahuenga Boulevard. 176 rooms, 5,800 square feet of commercial space and a 76-car garage.

This is likely the proposed Tommie Hotel.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 4:39 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Which looks about right from the render. The larger structure in the background right is likely the Arclight parking garage, and the smaller structure in the background left is likely Lure. If that is the case, the top 2-3 floors of the hotel will have pretty awesome views in every direction but east towards downtown.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Which looks about right from the render. The larger structure in the background right is likely the Arclight parking garage, and the smaller structure in the background left is likely Lure. If that is the case, the top 2-3 floors of the hotel will have pretty awesome views in every direction but east towards downtown.
Well if it isnt the arclight garage, it will most definitely be blocked by the upcoming 23 story Academy Square project developed by Kilroy breaking groundby the end of the year. BTW has anyone heard anything about that project? Is it still on track to break ground by EOY?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 9:08 PM

It'll certainly be nice to get some more action headed southwards from Central Hollywood. Right now the foot traffic in the area behind the Arclight garage is usually pretty sparse.

Isn't there supposed to be a short mixed use project on that triangular lot between Cahuenga and Ivar? Maybe I am making that up but I think I remember hearing about something there.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 9:28 PM

Isn't there suppose to be a7 story exclusively for low income people by academy square on the way?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 12:08 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: San Diego > Great Falls, MT > Denver > St. Louis > Providence, RI > Worcester, MA > Kunming, China > Bay Area > St. Louis > Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Frank Gehry is based in the LA area. IMO, We should have an abundance of what our local architects are putting out. It's what regionalizes a city. Other cities that have Gehry works are merely a planting of LA architecture. Gehry, AC Martin, AECOM, Morphosis, (Gasp!!!) TCA; and countless others based here, these are the defining people shaping our city's identity today. Much like Paris or London of yore had probably the same architects designing their whole city; which is now why we like them so much, this in my opinion is the same thing.
This is so true. For the entirety of human history, architecture has been a very diverse and dynamic art. A traveller with an interest in architecture could expect to have their mind blown in every place they visited. Modern architecture firms, however, are inherently very global in the way they operate. Just the name "international style" implies that the style has little to no character; the same building could be built anywhere, and from the 60's up until the '90's-'00's, thats exactly what happened.

The tech boom, however, caused the world to look at everything, including architecture, in a more creative and expressive light, and we're finally beginning to see the results of that today. Looking forward, I expect architecture to continue to innovate, specialize, and hopefully, like you said, re-regionalize to some extent.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Had the Walt Disney Concert Hall been built before the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, I think it would've been easier for regular people to equate Gehry's style to LA. The problem is Gehry's style is confined to his firm and not a style that transcends to different local firms towards local projects, so having around 5 Gehry structures throughout the city won't necessarily give people a sense that it's strictly LA in nature because they can be equally found in cities around the world.

I think the closest LA ever got historically to a regional style that people would identify as strictly LA in origin was Googie Architecture. The Theme Building and the Capitol Records building were LA's claim to fame for decades before WDH and drive-in diners and their neon equated to car culture which then equated to LA. Unfortunately, car culture has now proliferated to the point of a stranglehold on our society and LA has been shamed for it, so what's left of the Googie variety has been neglected or diminished.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 4:37 PM

http://urbanize.la/post/fly-through-...academy-square

Fly through video for Kilroy Realty's Academy Square development (280,000 sq. ft. office, retail, 250 apartments or 200 apartments and 100 hotel rooms).

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 3:55 PM
Ascension

Not sure how new this is but I found new renderings of the Palladium towers.

http://www.crescentheights.com/wp-co...big-first1.jpg

http://www.crescentheights.com/wp-co...palladium2.jpg

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Not sure how new this is but I found new renderings of the Palladium towers.

http://www.crescentheights.com/wp-co...big-first1.jpg

http://www.crescentheights.com/wp-co...palladium2.jpg
Those Palladium Towers look amazing. Im not seeing where this large parking garage is supposed to be that the community is having a fuss over. By the way, lets not forget that 1600 Vine has a massive parking garage within view along Argyle and it still looks okay IMO. This project is IMO the future of Hollywood. It's glitzy, glamorous, and somewhat dense. This seems to be the new height of all proposed buildings in Hollywood; which fits into an updated scale. looks great to me. Not too tall, not short

Last edited by hughfb3; Aug 29, 2015 at 6:35 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 6:26 PM

This really really needs to be built. So awesome. LA Mirada and silverstein need to be exposed for the extortion and fraud that they are committing

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 6:40 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Agreed. This is amazing. I'd wager that most of the parking will be underground, built around the theater.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 8:01 PM

Overall I like the new design better but the old went better with the theater. Is this actually considered a new design though because all that's different is the outside casing is white instead of green and its glassier?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations