HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 4:53 PM

The only "business clientele" that would stay at a Kingswood hotel would be "the overflow", however I could see those that want to golf after business is completed stay there, as well as those that decided to bring their families along for the trip. After all it is only about a 5 -8 minutes trip to downtown. Families will likely be their staple along with golf groups, etc. Kingswood is looking at a multi-million dollar expansion (I seem to recall $40 million), w hich includes the residential development, water park and hotel and I'm sure they have presented a strong business case, along with the mandatory supporting market analysis to justify this expenditure to their creditors

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 10:39 PM

I didn't realize that the Smythe St. entrance to Canadian Tire is going to be fully signalized. That's a good move IMO.

Also, the foundation for the first apartment building on Argyle Street on the former TRA property has been poured.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 4:44 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
I didn't realize that the Smythe St. entrance to Canadian Tire is going to be fully signalized. That's a good move IMO.

Also, the foundation for the first apartment building on Argyle Street on the former TRA property has been poured.
Doesn't matter too much to me I never go to that Canadian tire it is a congested mess. There is nothing in that strip mall worth going into anyways. Maybe for a King deal from BK but that's it

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
Doesn't matter too much to me I never go to that Canadian tire it is a congested mess. There is nothing in that strip mall worth going into anyways. Maybe for a King deal from BK but that's it
They've had the posts for the signals up for 3-4 years now. About time they put lights up.

But yeah there isn't really all that much in that minimall to visit. With a BK out on Hanwell now, you don't even have to go to that old BK. Still people seem to like going there judging by the traffic, so it'll hopefully help a bit.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 12:22 PM
Any where but Fredericton

Being a northsider I never go in that Canadian Tire parking lot. There is nothing there that I need. I wont be driving that far out for a Burger thats for sure.

I did notice the green sign being put up for the dollar rama across from northside walmart. It makes the northside look like an even more of a joke.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 4:07 PM

That "opening soon" sign is only temporary

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 4:14 PM
Any where but Fredericton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
That "opening soon" sign is only temporary

Not the opening soon sign. the sign that is green that is on the store. Where the words dollar rama is going.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 4:39 PM

If there's one thing the northside needed, it was another dollar store. (We need that almost as much as we need them to close stores on main street and move them to 2NC.)

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 8:18 PM

Noticed "Opening Soon" sign up for the Starbucks coming next to Shoppers Drugs on Prospect Street.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 5:12 PM

Chateau Heights Water & Sewer Funding Agreement Reached

Map of proposed phasing

Quote:
October 14, 2014 - The City of Fredericton and Province of New Brunswick have reached a funding agreement that will result in a safe, reliable water supply for the residents of Chateau Heights and the faster installation of services along McLeod Hill Road.

The estimated $20 million “Chateau Heights Municipal Water and Sewer Extension – Project Funding and Management Agreement” addresses a long standing problem for the residents of the area. The deal will see the Province invest approximately $15 million to extend water to Chateau Heights. As part of the project, the City will spend $5 million to extend water & sewer services along McLeod Hill Road.

Design and construction work will take place over the next four years. Residents of Chateau Heights will become part of the City of Fredericton in May 2018. Then they will be able to connect to the new water & sewer service.
“The Province asked for the assistance of the City in correcting this issue under a partnership model,” said Coun. Bruce Grandy, Chair of the City of Fredericton’s Finance & Administration Committee. “The agreement meets the needs of those living in Chateau Heights; provides a clear benefit to the City in the long-term; and, ensures existing City residents are not subsidizing the service extension.”

"It is important for the people of Chateau Heights to have access to a safe, reliable and clean water supply, something that has been a challenge for so many years,” added Coun. Grandy. “The co-operation of the City of Fredericton, Government of New Brunswick and the residents of Chateau Heights in coming to an agreement is an example for the rest of the province to follow in solving these types of challenges."

The following infrastructure extensions and upgrades will be required to connect Chateau Heights to the City of Fredericton water & sewer system:

New water & sewer lines will be constructed on McLeod Hill Road.
A new booster station will be constructed on McLeod Hill Road.
A new transmission water line will be extended from the Northbrook Reservoir, off Brookside Drive, westerly to the site of a new Chateau Heights reservoir.
A new reservoir will be constructed in the Chateau Heights area.
New water and sewer lines will be constructed in the Chateau Heights subdivision.

As per the agreement, the Province pays for:

All upgrades outside the City, including water & sewer lines, road construction and a water reservoir.
All water transmission costs, including a transmission line from Northbrook Reservoir to Chateau Heights Reservoir and a major booster station on McLeod Hill Road.

The City will pay for upgrades along McLeod Hill Road, within the City, including water & sewer lines. The Province will also contribute to road reconstruction where the transmission infrastructure is present.
“The City responded to the Province’s request for assistance in a structured fashion. We used clearly defined parameters that were based on current City policies and designed to protect the interests of existing City of Fredericton residents now and into the future,” said Coun. Grandy.

“This is the first ‘proactively planned’ joint annexation of an already developed area by the City of Fredericton and the Province. It ensures City infrastructure standards are implemented and adhered to during construction, along with a clearly defined service level for the new residents and the application of the City’s inside tax rate.

The general parameters for the agreement include:

All infrastructure necessary to support the annexation and supply servicing to the new residents is to be cost neutral to the City and therefore paid 100% by the Province.
All infrastructure is to be constructed to City standards.
Ensure the overall agreement is equitable for the existing City residents and the application of current City policies for new residents. New residents will pay the same as existing City residents.
Facilitate the strategic development of land and municipal growth as outlined in the City’s Northwest Master Plan.

The extension of water & sewer services up McLeod Hill Road has the positive effect of opening up the City’s Northwest development zone and creates options for servicing that previously did not exist. It expedites the upgrade of McLeod Hill Road from an estimated 20 years to four years. The design approach, of bringing water from the Brookside Drive area, minimizes the amount of infrastructure required and creates a more cost effective system to operate than otherwise possible.

Residents of Chateau Heights voted 61% in favour of annexation with the City of Fredericton during a plebiscite held on May 12, 2014.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 7:24 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Any ideas on what the population of that area is?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 10:49 PM

I would guestimate maybe 200-300, based on the number of houses

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 12:31 AM
New Brunswick booster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
I would guestimate maybe 200-300, based on the number of houses
I thought about doing it that way but I wasn't sure of the whole area and the thought of counting the houses made my head hurt :p

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 1:02 AM

Counting what I assume are lots on the PDF, 300 seems to be a good estimate of who will be watered by the new services. Looking between Google Maps (out of date admitedly) and the unwatered parts we can see on the map is probably another 100 lots. So by lots, 1k people. More likely 500 tops really since it's hard to tell which lots are filled.

Looking at the maps, it feels a long ways away, but upon further eyeballing it isn't much further than Douglas or Killarney Lake. (And it isn't too far away from where I live actually). It should help continue filling in the Ring Road North area more, though it feels a bit off from most of the North Side growth centres.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 1:55 PM

First couple layers of ashphalt going down on the corner of Smythe and Prospect.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 4:33 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkies View Post
First couple layers of ashphalt going down on the corner of Smythe and Prospect.

We need to see a picture of that Twinkies !! I wish we had that target guy taking pictures again. I still cant figure out how to upload pictures on here

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
We need to see a picture of that Twinkies !! I wish we had that target guy taking pictures again. I still cant figure out how to upload pictures on here
I agree. Darn computers!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 11:05 PM

Anyone planning on attending the discussion about how performing arts facilities might be developed in Fredericton aka The Playhouse 2.0?

http://www.fredericton.ca/en/citygov...ArtsCentre.asp

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 1:24 AM

Noticed that the brick commercial building at the Shoppers complex on Main Street has been torn down.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Noticed that the brick commercial building at the Shoppers complex on Main Street has been torn down.
Interesting. I checked Plaza's web site and the site plan indicates that the building at the back could be expanded and a smaller building is shown at the front of the lot. Looks like Plaza purchased the adjacent lot: http://www.plaza.ca/portfolio/New_Br...ber%202014.pdf

This is pure speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if a TD branch was built at the front of the lot. They're the only big bank that doesn't have a northside branch.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces