HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 7:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
There's no question in Quebec, but MOC has never seriously considered the matter.
It's definitely been often considered around beers at the Dominion Tavern and at backyard barbecues outside Quebec, with the overwhelming assumptive consensus being that substantial swathes of territory would certainly be lopped off, including of course the northern half, the Outaouais, all of Montreal or at least half of it, etc.

But you're right that almost no one with any real authority from the ROC has opined publicly on the topic. Perhaps wisely, I'd add.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
Gas tax hike?? Orrrrrr reinstatement of previous gas tax level? Pretty sure the gas tax is dependent on the price of oil? You can answer that right.

Look forward to reduction in emmissions from Justin’s tax. Hopefully save us from the wildfires.

At least it will help in the redistribution of wealth.

Go Canada Go!!
This will be particularly interesting in BC's Lower Mainland, where gas prices were as high as $2.05/L over the weekend. As of today, the price gap with Bellingham across the border is about 26% ($4.20/gal USD, or $1.51/L CAD at the station I usually go to when I'm there), so an increase in that price gap could lead to more gas runs across the border.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
This, I'd vote to keep Quebec but Throw Alberta out
Don't say that. A small fraction of its population is comprised of awful people. They just get a disproportionate amount of attention.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
That's the plan. The status quo is unacceptable. The alternative is unimaginable. The only solution is to blow the whole damned thing up. Let PP have his 15 minutes in the sun, with rapid disillusionment, precipitous fall in popularity, calls for resignation and perhaps early election. Start over with a brand new slate in 2028-29 with extremely diluted representation from the Woketarian fringe on the left and the Reformist zealots on the right. Long live the competent political centre!!!!
A minority Conservative government could make things really interesting. Could be Joe Clark 2.0.

The wildcard would be whether Justin Trudeau would stay on for a second election.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
I still think that if Quebec leaves in our lifetimes, it will be because there is a wider questioning of borders going on within North America.
Is there any reasonable possibility of this happening?

Even if the US were to destabilize at some point, individual states are prohibited from leaving the Union, so I would be doubtful that the US borders would change.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 8:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Is there any reasonable possibility of this happening?

Even if the US were to destabilize at some point, individual states are prohibited from leaving the Union, so I would be doubtful that the US borders would change.
Even unsuccessful attempts and pressures could have continent-wide destabilizing effects, though.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah, I strongly doubt a narrow corridor through Quebec that would remain Canadian would work. You don't even really need that to establish a right of passage for Canadian traffic (road, rail, maybe marine) through Quebec territory. It can be done through a negotiated agreement.

It makes me wonder what the arrangement is between Alaska and the Lower 48, through Canada.

I suppose there is some provision for goods but in terms of people I've never heard there was an exemption there to the stricter Canada-US border controls established in 2001. So basically you need a passport to travel between two parts of the United States.

I don't think Canada-sans-Québec and Québec would want that. If it could be at all avoided.
The one time this arrangement with Alaska came up was during the pandemic, when the Canada-US border was heavily restricted. There was an arrangement for residents of Alaska, as well as US Military required to report to Alaska, to cross the border and receive a special tag that had to be hung from the rearview mirror. There were certain gas stations, hotels and restaurants along the routes from the 49th Parallel border up to the Yukon that were designated for them to visit for essential reasons (e.g. filling up with gas, eating meals). These individuals were exempt from the 14-day quarantine rule but they were prohibited from not following their prescribed route and visiting businesses that were not on the approved list. I believe ArriveCan also had a category for this type of entry into Canada.

Last edited by manny_santos; Mar 25, 2024 at 8:25 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Indeed. Especially since many of the natives up there (especially in Nunavik) speak English and not French.

I can see this area being hived off and either joining NL or NU. The James Bay Cree might also petition to stay in Canada.
Or chose to be their own country too. If that happens, there will be a lot more native peoples that will want the same thing all over North America.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 10:04 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Voters are about to vote Conservative even though Harper was a disaster.
Honest question, what has gotten better since the "disaster of Harper" aka the 2015 election?
Quote:
Voters have memories of gold fish, they'll forget within 5-10 years the Trudeau record
I think it will take more than 10 years for the housing situation to improve. I think we are seeing a generational issue here.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'tit Renard View Post
The BOC's bank rate was hovering around 10%+ in the 1980s, and GOC bond rates went up to the mid-teens. By Chretien's tenure, rates had dropped down to 5% which made it easier to re-finance.

If PE Trudeau wasn't racking up so much debt in the first place, we wouldn't have this fiscal disaster.
Pretty much every wealthy country was racking up debt at the same time as the later years of the PET government. Yes, interest rates played a huge role in the increasing deficits in many countries including Canada. Cutting spending would have put us at an economic disadvantage.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Honest question, what has gotten better since the "disaster of Harper" aka the 2015 election?
I think it will take more than 10 years for the housing situation to improve. I think we are seeing a generational issue here.
I think it's possible to make substantial headway within 5 years. But that requires some really hard choices. Not sure even a CPC government has the stones for that.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
Pierre doesnt have Charisma? You need to get your head into a dictionary. Good grief.
PP does not demonstrate charisma to the general population. He sure loves to try to rile people up. But it's all negative talk from him.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 10:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
A minority Conservative government could make things really interesting. Could be Joe Clark 2.0.

The wildcard would be whether Justin Trudeau would stay on for a second election.
No matter what happens, Trudeau has to go. He has burned through what little lingering goodwill he had from voters.

I won't be casting my vote for Peevish Polyester, however.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 10:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxiK View Post
Or chose to be their own country too. If that happens, there will be a lot more native peoples that will want the same thing all over North America.
Bingo. Not sure Ottawa (or even Washington) would want that as a precedent.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post
This is what I expect to happen. People want stability in their politics, not theatre.

JT and PP are different sides of the same coin, but just seem to want the power and will pander to their respective bases to achieve/maintain it, all while pushing through policy that largely benefits corporate and 1%er interests. The only difference JT panders with virtue signaling, PP with rage baiting.

People are tired of JT and are willing to give PP a go, but they'll quickly get sick of him as well. I wouldn't be shocked if a current Lib and CPC backbencher will emerge as centrist leaders towards the end of the decade.
Yeah definitely good observations about the party leaders right now. You may be right about centrist leaders emerging by the 2030s.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Is that to say the Liberals won't be able to make a comeback because the housing mess is still not cleaned up? Wouldn't the Cons failing to clean it up by year 7 lead to them getting turfed out?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Harper's tenure was marked by missed opportunities but he pretty much left the country in the same or slightly better position than when he came to power. Trudeau's legacy will be a country that's worse off in just about every aspect. I don't think history will be very kind to him.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post
I always wondered what the Federal gameplan would be for this. They'd probably just have to except an exclave.

They could try to negotiate for a narrow land bridge between Ontario and New Brunswick. I think it's a non-starter, the residents of the purposed land bridge wouldn't be to happy about staying in Canada after if the majority voted to leave.
Even the most hardcore Quebec separatist wants open borders if Quebec were ever to become sovereign. At the very most it would be similar to the UK and the Republic of Ireland where there is no customs and immigration between the two.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
I saw the clip from This Hour Has 22 Minutes - if that is how Pierre goes off script we are in big trouble - he sounded like Porky Pig. Saw another video of how other politicians have responded - Harper, Mulroney, Martin, Chretien, Ford, McKay - all were great, played along and were able to see the humour in it... BUT not Pierre - he has no class.
PP handled the 22 Minutes sketch so poorly. It's a good indicator of what he thinks of and how he treats people who aren't like him. His reaction was very similar to angry people making Internet comments who don't see humour in anything and don't understand the concept of humour. PP has always been that way and was known to be like that in his youth as well.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Voters are about to vote Conservative even though Harper was a disaster.
Voters have memories of gold fish, they'll forget within 5-10 years the Trudeau record
Correction: we used to think Harper was a disaster, but then JT has shown up and recalibrated that scale, and now Harper looks like a great PM in retrospect (and so do Martin, Chrétien and Mulroney!)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada