HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 10:01 PM

Not really downtown or major development news, but currently under construction at the Arizona Pavilions (in Marana) along the river are TJ Maxx, Petsmart, Ross, and Home Goods.

Last edited by southtucsonboy77; Aug 3, 2016 at 10:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 11:16 PM

As with anything An-related, I'll believe it when I see it, but they're supposedly opening a restaurant in the TEP building downtown.

http://tucson.com/business/tucson/ar...hare&id=201408

I'm guessing that 49,000 should read 4,900.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 8:20 PM

Add more real high rises, downtown Tucson will start looking like a real downtown.

Tucson, let go of your cowtown mentality!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
Add more real high rises, downtown Tucson will start looking like a real downtown.

Tucson, let go of your cowtown mentality!

If there were demand for taller office buildings, apartments, and hotels they would be built. The reality is the demand and economic viability does not exist in downtown Tucson. All projects are speculative and extremely risky.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 10:57 PM

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
Love the design! And I'll take the 10 stories, excited about this one!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 3:33 PM

I've mentioned this factoid before and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but since 1986 the tallest AND most stories built in downtown Tucson is the new Unisource at 9 stories. I want the 20- and 30-story buildings...however downtown cannot even get over the 10-story hump. The UofA campus and Main Gate have gotten past 10 floors consistently the last several years.

I believe downtown Tucson is capable of a "tower" at 10-15 stories. The residential units proposed for 141 South Stone and La Placita justify that. I actually was hoping La Placita would be the one to reach and/or top 10 stories due to their location at a key downtown intersection and alleged readiness to go.

The only 2 proposed buildings to reach and surpass 10 stories are the 12-story "south" Ronstadt apartment building and the Twin Tower...projected at 20-something stories.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 4:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
I've mentioned this factoid before and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but since 1986 the tallest AND most stories built in downtown Tucson is the new Unisource at 9 stories. I want the 20- and 30-story buildings...however downtown cannot even get over the 10-story hump. The UofA campus and Main Gate have gotten past 10 floors consistently the last several years.

I believe downtown Tucson is capable of a "tower" at 10-15 stories. The residential units proposed for 141 South Stone and La Placita justify that. I actually was hoping La Placita would be the one to reach and/or top 10 stories due to their location at a key downtown intersection and alleged readiness to go.

The only 2 proposed buildings to reach and surpass 10 stories are the 12-story "south" Ronstadt apartment building and the Twin Tower...projected at 20-something stories.
As a Phoenix resident, I admire the scale of Downtown Tucson. I always have a blast there. Downtown Phoenix has also come a long way as there are tons of things to do, but what's missing in a majority of the downtown core is that it is so overbuilt with tall buildings, convention centers and sports arenas that the street scale is too overwhelming. That's not to say you shouldn't pine for taller buildings to add to the urban feel, but too much of a good thing can kill the vibe. Also, commercial high rises are difficult to build, finance and secure the land needed. I bet most of the taller buildings you'll see will be residential in the near future.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
As a Phoenix resident, I admire the scale of Downtown Tucson. I always have a blast there. Downtown Phoenix has also come a long way as there are tons of things to do, but what's missing in a majority of the downtown core is that it is so overbuilt with tall buildings, convention centers and sports arenas that the street scale is too overwhelming. That's not to say you shouldn't pine for taller buildings to add to the urban feel, but too much of a good thing can kill the vibe. Also, commercial high rises are difficult to build, finance and secure the land needed. I bet most of the taller buildings you'll see will be residential in the near future.
Yeah, I think downtown Phoenix has way too many dead zones - government buildings, parking garages, superblocks like the convention center, and the sports' venues. Tucson, by contrast, still has some human scale if it doesn't get too greedy. Nothing enlivens a downtown better than feet on the sidewalk and interesting businesses. Forget about tall buildings. They look great on postcards but seldom make a city more urban or exciting.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 7:47 PM

Agree with much of what was said above. I think downtown tucson is just reaching that point of critical mass and still has a lot of work to do in terms of bringing in an initial cohort of residents and adding more retail and cultural options. As that work proceeds in the next few years, I think we'll then see a demand for more residential towers.

I think McCusker said that the progress that has been made downtown is still really fragile and could easily be erased by an economic downturn so I doubt banks are handing out multimillion dollar loans like candy.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 3:31 PM

Updates

Banner UMC Tower - Going up!

AC Marriott - Sheetrock

[/url]

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 12:55 AM

For some reason, they pulled it, but the Star posted an article about new student housing projects this afternoon. We already know about one of the two they mentioned - the project on the Chase property at Park and 1st. The other, though, was new to me - a project on the empty lot on the northwest corner of Broadway and Park. Beyond that info, the article wasn't very informative.

Here's a cached link: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

The Broadway and Park project isn't in the overlay zone, so I'm not sure what we'd be looking at heightwise. Some snooping on PRO indicates that demolition permits were requested for the two existing buildings on the block by a company called LCD Acquisitions, LLC this summer. A Google search of that name yielded an article stating that LCD is an affiliate of Landmark Properties, which developed The Retreat on 22nd. Thankfully, they have some denser properties/concepts in their portfolio. My hope, as always, is that the project is mixed use.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
For some reason, they pulled it, but the Star posted an article about new student housing projects this afternoon. We already know about one of the two they mentioned - the project on the Chase property at Park and 1st. The other, though, was new to me - a project on the empty lot on the northwest corner of Broadway and Park. Beyond that info, the article wasn't very informative.
The link is back on the Star's website. As Ted said, it mainly focuses on the overall student housing market rather than specific projects.

http://tucson.com/business/tucson/mo...9740995c9.html

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 2:46 PM

Chase Bank site will be 10 stories. The term "tower" is used very loosely in our city. I'll be shocked if the Broadway site goes more than 4 or 5. With that said, I wasn't ever expecting a "tower" on that site anyway, so news of possible infill is great.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 12:31 AM

Not development, but possible good news for Davis Monthan's continued economic impact. Both DM and the Air National Guard Base could inherit 45 F16s used for pilot training.

It would be good to have a continuing mission already in the works if the USAF finally pulls the plug on the A-10.

From AZCentarl.com
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...utah/88763114/

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 3:44 PM

This is extremely conceptual...the plan is receiving comments and will be refined I'm sure, but the planning is in process...but the SW corner of the under-construction Sunset extension and the I-10 frontage is proposed for a major business park. Early draft showed approx. five 5-story structures, approx. two 4-story structures, and a few other 1- and 2-story structures. Towards the back was a park adjacent to the Loop. Very nice plan. The density was very aggressive I thought, but I like where they're going with it.

Again, very conceptual.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 3:55 PM

No documents on PRO yet, but a sandwich place out of Salt Lake called Even Stevens is going into the Julian Drew Building. DRB is reviewing the proposed facade alterations at their next meeting. Seems like a concept that will go over well here, even if they are "outsiders" downtown.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 6:15 PM

Great USA Today article regarding Tucson's food scene in downtown and outside downtown...

I enjoyed the pics that came with the article, don't skip them.

Chasing the sources in Tucson's budding food scene

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 10:28 PM

To pile on the national articles about Tucson's food scene, here is one from the New York Times

Tucson Becomes an Unlikely Food Star

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 6:49 AM

Nonstop Flights from Tucson to Hermosillo to Resume

According to AZPM, Aeromar Airlines is starting up flights from Tucson to Hermosillo in October. This will be the first service to Hermosillo since 2008.

The flights between Tucson, Phoenix and Guaymas announced earlier this year are still apparently still pending. Mexiconewsdaily.com said that Paradise Air is planning to operate those flights starting sometime this fall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest