HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
All you can see is a line-up of about a dozen buildings, all built since 1980s with no depth and no sense of the crazy-dense pre-war high clusters that cover Center City.
Yeah, the view needs to come from the south to really capture center city's 'mid section' which is why the Walt Whitman view is often a favorite.

IMO the best aerial views of Philadelphia come from the same direction or from right over head.
Example looking NW from the SE: https://i.imgur.com/mC9gngv.jpg

Example overhead to see into the city: https://i.imgur.com/UpCpTCS.jpg

Last edited by TempleGuy1000; May 5, 2023 at 11:28 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 11:01 PM

I love the view when getting onto 76W at Vare Avenue. You get basically the South St Bridge view, but also with Roberts center. Depending on the morning light, it an look almost futuristic.

Wish there was a safe place to take pics that area - as far as I know you'd need to be on someone's roof or be stupid and stand on the shoulder of the high way.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
The Sunoco at 23rd and Walnut has been chain-linked fenced off for a few days now. No cars permitted to enter and gas station appears closed. Any updates on this site?
Sorry 22nd and Walnut…duh i only walk past it daily for my kids school. Anyways, it’s still fully fenced off and sounds like it’s a bit of a mystery…

As far as the Rite Aid up the block, there has been increasing activity of hard hats mulling about the site.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 3:28 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Sorry 22nd and Walnut…duh i only walk past it daily for my kids school. Anyways, it’s still fully fenced off and sounds like it’s a bit of a mystery…
It’s really kind of puzzling — despite the supposed Dranoff impending purchase — with no recent permits posted online and the 7-11 signage only very recently going up on the top of the building (for which the permits were obtained last summer). Even the necessary removal of the underground tanks would require permits.

https://atlas.phila.gov/2201-03%20WALNUT%20ST/li

Signs illustrated: https://s3.amazonaws.com/eclipse-doc...022-004863.pdf

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 7:49 AM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
It’s really kind of puzzling — despite the supposed Dranoff impending purchase — with no recent permits posted online and the 7-11 signage only very recently going up on the top of the building (for which the permits were obtained last summer). Even the necessary removal of the underground tanks would require permits.

https://atlas.phila.gov/2201-03%20WALNUT%20ST/li

Signs illustrated: https://s3.amazonaws.com/eclipse-doc...022-004863.pdf
That's what confused me as well, I noticed workers putting the new 7/11 Signs up, along with general improvements very recently, so for them, to do all that, and close it must mean they either got paid very well for the property to close it that quick or something else is going on.

What's also funny is that Gas Station seems to have had the 7/11 branding before the Sunoco so its funny it went back to it, and then closed down shortly after.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 12:48 PM

The project thread is locked but Funding Secured for 2300 Market!

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...00-market.html

Breakthrough Properties has secured a $130 million construction loan for the development of an eight-story life sciences building at 2300 Market St.

Construction on the project is already underway, and the 223,000-square-foot building is expected to be delivered in mid-2024 for tenants to fit out their space.

Breakthrough Properties, a joint venture between New York real estate firm Tishman Speyer and Los Angeles life sciences investor Bellco Capital, bought the site along the 2300 block of Market Street as three separate properties in December 2021.

“The fact that we were able to secure a construction loan in this environment really speaks to the strength of our platform and the strength of the project,” said Joe Traynor, senior director of development for Breakthrough Properties. “The fact it’s a well-located Class A project, the lender was really willing to lend on the project. And [that speaks to] the strength of Philadelphia as well.”

Breakthrough worked with Philadelphia-based D2 Capital Advisors to secure the loan from Corebridge Financial of Houston.

The new life sciences building will have flexible lab zones that can accommodate various research uses, as well as a café, lounge, fitness center and amenities tailored to biotech companies.

The site was home to three existing buildings, including the culinary school for the Arts Institute of Philadelphia, when Breakthrough acquired the properties. The project will preserve the structure and façade of the three-story brick building on the corner of 23rd and Market streets that was previously occupied by the culinary school. Breakthrough is also preserving the white terracotta façade of an adjacent four-story building. A three-story building on the west side of the site was fully demolished.

The new life sciences building will have flexible lab zones that can accommodate various research uses, as well as a café, lounge, fitness center and amenities tailored to biotech companies.

The site was home to three existing buildings, including the culinary school for the Arts Institute of Philadelphia, when Breakthrough acquired the properties. The project will preserve the structure and façade of the three-story brick building on the corner of 23rd and Market streets that was previously occupied by the culinary school. Breakthrough is also preserving the white terracotta façade of an adjacent four-story building. A three-story building on the west side of the site was fully demolished.

Breakthrough Properties specializes solely in life sciences development and has a dedicated scientific operations team, which helps design and operate labs from an end user’s perspective. Traynor said that’s a differentiator with new buildings, like 2300 Market, which he called a “true, first-class life science building.”

The building is being built on spec and Breakthrough is marketing the project to prospective tenants. Life sciences companies tend to need space on a faster timeline than other sectors so it’s common to sign tenants closer to when the space is ready.

Breakthrough also owns several properties in Boston and San Diego, two other top-tier life sciences markets. Traynor said Breakthrough’s philosophy is to operate the lab space for the long term. While 2300 Market is the company’s first project in Philadelphia, more could be coming in the future.

“We don’t go into a market for one project, one building,” Traynor said. “We acquired, developed and will own and operate this building. So we’ll be an operator in the market, not just a one-off developer. The intent with every market we’re in is to be in there with multiple projects.”

KieranTimberlake is the project’s architect and the construction manager is Hunter Roberts. Cushman & Wakefield is the leasing agent for the project.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 2:04 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
The project thread is locked but Funding Secured for 2300 Market!
It’s locked because the current version is lowrise. Last entry in that thread, summersm343 wrote: “Unfortunately, now that this is 8 floors, the project thread needs to be closed. All future updates on the 2300 Market project will be posted in the Lowrise/General Development thread here: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=160247

Last edited by Jayfar; May 3, 2023 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
It’s locked because the current version is lowrise. Last entry in that thread, summersm343 wrote: “Unfortunately, now that this is 8 floors, the project thread needs to be closed. All future updates on the 2300 Market project will be posted in the Lowrise/General Development thread here: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=160247
haha oops, seems to big to be just 8, but alas....Great news either way

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
haha oops, seems to big to be just 8, but alas....Great news either way
I think the top crown makes it deceptively tall. It’s only 8 floors but I would bet it’s quite a bit taller than the average 8 floor building.

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 3:04 PM

4.0 University Place

According to the "State of University City 2023" report on page 29, "4.0 University Place" is in the works. 41st and Market - where the Rite Aid is currently. Anticipated groundbreaking in late 2023. 450,000 square feet of lab/life science space with ground floor retail. Rendering makes it look to be about 15 floors tall.
https://issuu.com/universitycity/doc...WE3MzU5OTQ4MjI

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 4:47 PM

Man... while I never want any US city to fail, and want to see them all succeed, it sure feels good to know the retail struggles aren't solely related to Philadelpha. Seems San Francisco is dealing with a similar issue, and Nordstrom is closing both of it's San Francisco stores citing a drop in foot traffic and increased crime in the downtown area since the pandemic. The article is behind a paywall, but I was able to read it on my phone:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/artic...s-18074794.php

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 5:43 PM
Chris

^ Yea San Fran is in an unfortunate situation.
Philadelphia has its issues, but on the whole seems to be doing better than San Fran in terms of recovery and moving forward. The quickly approaching Mayoral primary will also play a big part in Philadelphia's continued recovery.

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Man... while I never want any US city to fail, and want to see them all succeed, it sure feels good to know the retail struggles aren't solely related to Philadelpha. Seems San Francisco is dealing with a similar issue, and Nordstrom is closing both of it's San Francisco stores citing a drop in foot traffic and increased crime in the downtown area since the pandemic. The article is behind a paywall, but I was able to read it on my phone:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/artic...s-18074794.php
Was just in SF for the first time since pre-COVID. I was shocked by the amount of vacancies in the luxury shopping district near to Union Square. There were whole blocks with only one or two occupied store fronts. Worse than Philadelphia for sure.

Although, in my limited window of time there, I'd say Philadelphia's homeless panhandlers and drug addicts are far more visible and aggressive.

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 8:12 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
According to the "State of University City 2023" report on page 29, "4.0 University Place" is in the works. 41st and Market - where the Rite Aid is currently. Anticipated groundbreaking in late 2023. 450,000 square feet of lab/life science space with ground floor retail. Rendering makes it look to be about 15 floors tall.
https://issuu.com/universitycity/doc...WE3MzU5OTQ4MjI
There are some models here that look similar to the rendering at the end of this article on 3.0 Univ. Place: https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...ly-4-0-up-next

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 8:20 PM

San Francisco also had 41 murders in 2019 and 56 in 2021 and 2022. Philly had over 500 in 2021 and 2022. I know Philly is twice the size but the murder rate is 30 per 100k in Philly and 6 per 100k in San Francisco. So yes, SF has some problems but I'd still rather have their economy and problems compared to ours. Tenderloin is front and center because its downtown but no one in the country has anything like K&A. San Francisco has the highest spending per capita on parks and recreation in the country. Surely Philly is one of the lowest in the country for that.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ent-in-the-us/

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
San Francisco also had 41 murders in 2019 and 56 in 2021 and 2022. Philly had over 500 in 2021 and 2022. I know Philly is twice the size but the murder rate is 30 per 100k in Philly and 6 per 100k in San Francisco. So yes, SF has some problems but I'd still rather have their economy and problems compared to ours. Tenderloin is front and center because its downtown but no one in the country has anything like K&A. San Francisco has the highest spending per capita on parks and recreation in the country. Surely Philly is one of the lowest in the country for that.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ent-in-the-us/
This was not meant to be a city v. city debate, so let’s not turn it into that and make me delete a bunch of posts. We are well aware of Philadelphia’s issues and having a higher crime rate than San Francisco.

My point was, that if a wealthy city like San Francisco that is typically seen as having one of the best urban retail scenes in the country is struggling, then it can be forgiven that Philadelphia is too.

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 8:29 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Reminds me of San Francisco days....San Francisco nights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aufudfyHIaA

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 2:56 AM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
That's what confused me as well, I noticed workers putting the new 7/11 Signs up, along with general improvements very recently, so for them, to do all that, and close it must mean they either got paid very well for the property to close it that quick or something else is going on.

What's also funny is that Gas Station seems to have had the 7/11 branding before the Sunoco so its funny it went back to it, and then closed down shortly after.
7-11 owns the station. It used to be a Sunoco Company Owned and Operated station until 2018. They were to be kept as Sunoco branded fuels.

7-11 could be putting in new tanks. They have upgraded many of the stations they bought. Usually they keep the store open but with this footprint it might not be feasible to have a path to the store if the tanks are being replaced and or possible new canopy and pumps. The Sunoco 7-11 by me got all of that last year.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post
Was just in SF for the first time since pre-COVID. I was shocked by the amount of vacancies in the luxury shopping district near to Union Square. There were whole blocks with only one or two occupied store fronts. Worse than Philadelphia for sure.

Although, in my limited window of time there, I'd say Philadelphia's homeless panhandlers and drug addicts are far more visible and aggressive.
I recently moved to San Francisco from Philly and I can say for certain that the homeless/panhandling situation is far far worse here. This is not city vs city - all cities have their pros and cons - but I think Philly is doing better in this area than many believe.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmounter View Post
I recently moved to San Francisco from Philly and I can say for certain that the homeless/panhandling situation is far far worse here. This is not city vs city - all cities have their pros and cons - but I think Philly is doing better in this area than many believe.
It's tough to quantify.

I commuted to Boulder Co for about a year recently and there is a MAJOR homeless issue there. And that town is 1/100th the size of Phlly. I will say that they were the nicest, most polite homeless people I've ever experienced. That group here (with the exception of Hip Hop - my man outside the 7-11 in Old city) are mean and aggressive when they're not in the depths of a fentanyl zombie state.

I think that the homeless locate in tourist areas for obvious reasons - tourists are generally more likely to give them cash. Homeless have stepped up their presence in these areas but the response has not addressed that. The tourist that comes to Philly regularly sees the absolute worst of Philly from that perspective.

Tough situation and tough solutions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations