HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Complete fantasy-land.
It will fail within 10 years if it even gets off the ground.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 1:56 AM
The Drifter

There is a location on 27th west and 5400 south that previously was a fuel station and had been sitting vacant for about 2 years after its removal. A couple of months ago a fence had gone up around the site and construction has been going on for a new building at the location. In the last couple of days, a sign on the fence was finally put up for what was being built there. Looks like Quick Emissions is moving from their location off of 47th in front of the Taylorsville temple to this location on 54th. The Salt Lake County Assessor shows Westwood Property LLC as the owner and they own other parcels in that area as well. These parcels are the Reams shopping center, Arby's, the old Deseret First Credit Union (moved to 32nd and 47th over a year ago), Arctic Circle, Quick Emissions, USA Cash Services, and Chase Bank.

This makes me wonder if the site of the closed Reams will be redeveloped.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
There is a location on 27th west and 5400 south that previously was a fuel station and had been sitting vacant for about 2 years after its removal. A couple of months ago a fence had gone up around the site and construction has been going on for a new building at the location. In the last couple of days, a sign on the fence was finally put up for what was being built there. Looks like Quick Emissions is moving from their location off of 47th in front of the Taylorsville temple to this location on 54th. The Salt Lake County Assessor shows Westwood Property LLC as the owner and they own other parcels in that area as well. These parcels are the Reams shopping center, Arby's, the old Deseret First Credit Union (moved to 32nd and 47th over a year ago), Arctic Circle, Quick Emissions, USA Cash Services, and Chase Bank.

This makes me wonder if the site of the closed Reams will be redeveloped.
With the temple going up across the street (estimated completion mid-2023), I'd be very surprised if they didn't try to capitalize on that. Whether residential or restaurants etc, they'll want to try to make a buck somehow.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 6:17 PM

‘Luxury apartment community’ coming to Riverton
https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news...g-to-riverton/

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 7:24 AM
Exit 298

Spiffy. More faux luxury.

Where are the desperately-needed 350,000 starter units? Why can't anyone build those.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 4:08 PM
Space Magi

The developers for the Summit @ the Cairns (now called the Summit Two @ the Cairns) in Sandy presented their updated plans to the Sandy Planning Commission a couple weeks ago. There's a whole document to go through but the highlights are this:

Phase I: the hotel tower (Radisson Blu) will be 14-stories, 211 ft tall and will also have 26 for-sale condo units and 10,000 square feet of convention space. There will be a rooftop bar and restaurant (Fire Lake Grill House & Cocktail Bar). There will also be a 6-story, 75 ft tall residential building with 297 apartment units and 16,000 square feet of "flex commercial space" fronting Centennial Parkway. The two buildings will be connected with a 1,060 stall parking structure.

Phase II: Plans are less certain right now but the concept shows a 10-story office building on the west side of Monroe Street.

More renderings and details can be found in the planning documents here.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 4:59 PM

If anybody has wondered what's happening with Olympia Hills, it looks like Herriman has voted to annex that land, but will still develop it similarly to how it was approved last year.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2021/09/...olympia-hills/

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 2:55 PM
Space Magi

I don't know if it's been mentioned here yet: per the 2020 Census, West Jordan (116,691) is now the third-largest city in Utah, surpassing Provo (115,162). Also, St. George (95,342) passed Ogden (87,321) for seventh-largest.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 9:05 PM

Harmons proposed as future anchor for Outlets Park City
Officials indicate support in preliminary meeting

Alexander Cramer for the Park Record - https://www.parkrecord.com/news/summ...record-roundup

Outlets Park City is struggling, according to a group looking to redevelop part of the site.

The outdoor mall in Kimball Junction, featuring upscale and popular brands, saw sales drop nearly 1/3 between 2019 and 2020, according to a letter sent to the Snyderville Basin Planning Commission from the attorney representing the redevelopment group. Occupancy is slipping, as retailers, many struggling with their own bankruptcies, are vacating the area, the letter contends.

“Enter Harmon’s,” the letter says. “With a large, loyal following, and interest in taking down 60,000 square feet of space, Harmon’s will serve as a new anchor tenant and be the foundation for the Outlets.”

Courtesy of Harmons

Last edited by delts145; Oct 15, 2021 at 3:15 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 8:36 AM
Exit 298

That's a good looking Harmon's! Not just some windowless box.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 3:19 PM

Agree, I've always appreciated the taste level on design control in Park City. That will be a smart move to get Harmon's in there. It's well suited for the Park City area and would definitely help to revive that mall.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 8:19 PM

Harmons feels tailor-made for the Park City market. That will be a huge success there.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2021, 7:10 PM

Gelson's is the Rolls-Royce of the grocery stores in the Los Angeles area. However, I appreciate that along the Wasatch Front area Harmon's not only matches Gelson's but is superior in architectural design, interior ambiance, has a wider range of offerings, and definitely much better price points. Salt Lake City and Metro is fortunate to have Harmon's.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 4:14 AM

Having read the article, Summit County's zoning codes sound absurdly restrictive.

Quote:
The county’s development code requires mezzanine square footage be included in the total, making this proposal an increase in density.

The developer contends the building’s footprint is the same — roughly 60,000 square feet, slightly smaller than the Smith’s Market at Kimball Junction — so the plan doesn’t count as a new entitlement. That’s an important claim, because a provision in the Snyderville Basin General Plan prohibits new entitlements unless a project provides a “compelling countervailing public interest” that cannot be reasonably achieved another way.

That could trigger the need to provide significant “public benefits” to secure approval. In other projects, those have generally been affordable housing units, but officials have indicated other proposals like exceptional sustainability efforts or open space could satisfy the requirement.

Keys said that the group was open to removing the mezzanine proposal and submitting a project that would include only the current square footage.
When you're not even sure if a mezzanine in a grocery store can pass planning scrutiny, you may not want to consider loosening your zoning codes.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 3:55 AM

Millcreek Commons

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/mil...estrian-first/

•Cottonwood on Highland

Highland and Gunn Ave (3080 S), just south of Highland Cyclery

Cottonwood Residential and Solstice

250 dwellings

18,000 sf of restaurant and retail

Under construction, 2022 completion

•Cottonwood on Richmond

Gunn/Villa Vista (3080 S) and Richmond, SE corner

Cottonwood Residential and Atlas Ventures

Suffered a fire that destroyed all framing and damaged parts of the foundation in Summer 2021

300 dwellings

22,000 sf of retail and restaurant space

Incorporates a plaza and potential trail connection on the east side of the project

Under construction, 2022 completion

•MC33

3330 S HIghland Dr

Russ Sorenson and Pentalon Construction

150 condos

38,000 sf of commercial condominium space, build-to-suit for existing Millcreek businesses

Pending HUD financing

•Jaspar Building

1300 E (Richmond) and Miller Ave (3130 S), NE corner

Solstice Development

27 residential condos

20,000 sf office space, 17,000 sf retail

Pending office tenants and financing

•Millcreek Lofts

Miller Ave (3130 S) and Highland, northwest corner

PEG Development

99 dwellings, including 8 live-work units

Pending financing

•Cottonwood Residential condos, office, and retail

Address: Chambers street, north side. Development immediately north of Ice Ribbon

Developers: Cottonwood Residentail

Would face amphitheater and pavilion of Millcreek Common Phase 2

•Boyer Mixed-use

Address: Miller Avenue, south side, current Comcast property

Developers: Boyer Company

Considering shoebox restaurants and retail along Millcreek Common Phase 2

•Cottonwood Residential – mixed-use on the Common

Address: NE Corner of 3300 S and 1300 E

Developers: Cottonwood Residential

220-dwelling mixed use, retail fronting Ice Ribbon

Shared parking with City Hall

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 6:27 PM

The Millcreek city center could be a really fascinating place in 5 more years. I'm excited to see how it will continue developing!

Did we ever learn what caused that fire?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 6:55 PM
Space Magi

I found some new info on the Sandy Planning Commission website about the "Centennial Village" development that will be directly south of Sandy City Hall. At first I was confused because the developers were asking for the PC to approve an auto dealership in their urban mixed-use project but it looks like what they actually want to have is a "supercar showroom."

Here are some images, more can be found in the pdfs here.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 7:23 AM

Why in the world do they want a supercar showroom?

The building looks nice though.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 3:20 PM

I would have preferred that they develop this type of showroom downtown, especially reworking the Ken Garff block. That Ken Garff block has always been a thorn in my side. Something like this Sandy auto showroom development would be so much cooler for downtown than the current Garff setup. There is definitely a market now in the CSA Salt Lake City for these types of cars. Basically, you go into the showroom and you see an example of a particular exotic such as say a Rolls or a Bentley or perhaps something more Italian. You then order your own customized version of personal preferences. It's not your typical outer suburban car lot with hundreds of cars on display. They need to get rid of that Ken Garff setup as it currently stands, especially being next to the iconic City Hall.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 5:21 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I would have preferred that they develop this type of showroom downtown, especially reworking the Ken Garff block. That Ken Garff block has always been a thorn in my side. Something like this Sandy auto showroom development would be so much cooler for downtown than the current Garff setup. There is definitely a market now in the CSA Salt Lake City for these types of cars. Basically, you go into the showroom and you see an example of a particular exotic such as say a Rolls or a Bentley or perhaps something more Italian. You then order your own customized version of personal preferences. It's not your typical outer suburban car lot with hundreds of cars on display. They need to get rid of that Ken Garff setup as it currently stands, especially being next to the iconic City Hall.
I could not agree more delts! No question!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West