HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 10:18 PM

I really like that first Edmonton one there!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 10:38 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post

Bjarke Ingels Group (@big_builds) on Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoRahP_l...-by=big_builds

Kevin Dowd (@genesis750) on Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoApPiCn...-by=genesis750
Holy damn god! Those are wicked shots.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 11:23 PM

between telus sky, brookfield place and the bow... Calgary

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 11:44 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post

Source: Jeff Wallace • Alberta (@wherezjeff) on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BoKGQS7D...-by=wherezjeff
This is the best shot I have ever seen of Edmonton’s core. I love it.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 1:31 AM
gettin' rich!

488 University - 207 meters

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 1:38 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I pass by this tower nearly everyday now....it's looking fine (even that's a stretch to me...so far) in terms of cladding, but sloppy with the transition and general height. I still wish this building was left as is.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 3:20 AM
gettin' rich!

Interesting engineering project for the kids.. retrofitting the old office tower to carry the weight of the new condo on top.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
I pass by this tower nearly everyday now....it's looking fine (even that's a stretch to me...so far) in terms of cladding, but sloppy with the transition and general height. I still wish this building was left as is.

I believe the old concrete cladding was crumbling so would have needed to be replaced at some point condo tower on top or not. I also liked the old office block but i'm also a fan of it's new cladding and the external cross beams. I wish the curtain wall had been used on the entire tower though.

It's hard to find a close up of the old cladding but if you were up close you could see years of patchwork, rivets, and brackets holding the sections together.

[IMG]488 University by Marcanadian, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 5:59 PM

Stantec starts moving staff into the tower late next week.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:39 PM

Some of the comments in this bit make you shake your head. "Toronto had a couple tall buildings"
Video Link

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:51 PM
ARTchitecture

Lmao! Yeah, that was tough to watch. The next video there about Aldrit Tower is even more cringey.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:58 PM

The current form of the Aldrit Tower doesn't seem serious at all. It reminds me of the earlier versions of Phare, or one of the earliest versions of One Bloor East. A long way to go design wise until something actually goes up. Which is probably a good thing as has been proven at 1 Bloor, and with the current design of Phare.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 7:12 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
The current form of the Aldrit Tower doesn't seem serious at all. It reminds me of the earlier versions of Phare, or one of the earliest versions of One Bloor East. A long way to go design wise until something actually goes up. Which is probably a good thing as has been proven at 1 Bloor, and with the current design of Phare.
Yeah, and the market just can't support a tower that size anyways. It just doesn't exist in Edmonton, it barely even exists in Calgary and it's even debatable if it does at all. The question is, does Edmonton want one tower sucking up the entire condo purchaser market for years to come? Or does Edmonton want to continue improving its public realm through multiple shorter projects each year?

The effective answer is obvious. Vanity projects tend to do more harm than good.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 9:27 PM
HVAC guru

The Aldritt tower isn't going to be built. Or at the very least what may be built will be nothing like what they're proposing

And you're right. The two tall towers in Edmonton have definitely elevated the skyline but the street level downtown is still pretty terrible and unattractive. Spreading out that development would have improved a vastly larger portion of the area. But it was a vanity project so there you go...

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
The Aldritt tower isn't going to be built. Or at the very least what may be built will be nothing like what they're proposing

And you're right. The two tall towers in Edmonton have definitely elevated the skyline but the street level downtown is still pretty terrible and unattractive. Spreading out that development would have improved a vastly larger portion of the area. But it was a vanity project so there you go...
I know what you're getting at, but judging the street level activation based on what is still very much an active construction site might not be the best measuring stick ... right?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 12:17 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post

Go drink at Cartego.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Yeah, and the market just can't support a tower that size anyways. It just doesn't exist in Edmonton, it barely even exists in Calgary and it's even debatable if it does at all. The question is, does Edmonton want one tower sucking up the entire condo purchaser market for years to come? Or does Edmonton want to continue improving its public realm through multiple shorter projects each year?

The effective answer is obvious. Vanity projects tend to do more harm than good.
Vanity projects in a city that severely lacks vanity projects (Edmonton) will do more good than harm. Vanity projects in a city that already has many of them (Calgary) will do more harm than good.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 1:08 AM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 1:22 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Some of the comments in this bit make you shake your head. "Toronto had a couple tall buildings"
Video Link

Look out Toronto, here comes Edmonton!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 1:43 AM

Well their claim to fame of being the tallest west of Toronto is going to be stolen by Mississauga in a few years by a couple meters.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada