HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 3:12 PM

Downtown completions by decade since 1990 (and u/c plus approved/proposed for the future). White/grey towers are completions pre-1990.

steveve

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 8:28 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

191 Eglinton E:

Video Link

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 12:29 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

8 Elm:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 10:41 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

CIBC Square:

Video Link

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 4:48 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

15 Toronto St:

[IMG][/IMG]

119 Church @ Queen:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:57 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

A short video showcasing 100 Lombard, 15 Toronto St. and QueenChurch:

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 4:23 AM

RE: Future Canadian Skylines Thread

This is a terrific thread - if you are into Toronto. From the perspective of many skyscraperpage.com viewers there are other cities that are more interesting. Bigger is not necessarily better and while Toronto is impressive from many factors, u/c, future const., cultural, etc., many of the new buildings have an unattractive sameness about them. You don't see this so much in New York, for example. That, and a less than spectacular natural background that Toronto is situated on help make the development of other cities especially different. That said, imo this thread would be more interesting if there were more postings from Montreal and Vancouver - two Canadian cities that stand out in so many positive ways from the mostly bland developments of Hogtown!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 11:17 AM

I added approximations of the buildings currently under construction (green) and the buildings in the planning stage (purple) to this currently unflattering view of the Ottawa skyline from the South. There is a long low ridge that blocks half the height of all the buildings to the right of the tallest one in this image. There are actually several more projects of significant height that will make it to this image soon, but are very early stage.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 12:53 PM
gettin' rich!

Toronto needs to get it in gear... we are falling way behind Indonesia/Malaysia in terms of over 200 meter towers.

Target should be around 60 towers over 200 meters built and under construction right now

Toronto is currently at around 38 built/UC

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 1:23 PM
I am the law!

Post more. We miss you. That post is so you.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 1:38 PM
I am the law!

Canada is currently 140 and 32. There are 70 and 22 under construction. I couldn't tell you what is under construction in those nations but, I would wager money that Canada is keeping up and likely catching up to first place. As an aside, I would love to spend time in all (I'd want bodyguards on some of those visits) but, Singapore is the only place I would consider living in.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 1:42 PM
sick transit, gloria

Some unfettered skyscraper Boosterism would kinda be nice to see again!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 1:50 PM
I am the law!

Without a doubt. Things have changed drastically. 200 metre towers are no longer just on the Greater Toronto Area's shoulders. The first has stated in Greater Vancouver and Montreal is already up to 5 under construction. Not acknowledging that will fluff many feathers.

Ahhh, like old times, eh?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 2:14 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Toronto needs to get it in gear... we are falling way behind Indonesia/Malaysia in terms of over 200 meter towers.

Target should be around 60 towers over 200 meters built and under construction right now

Toronto is currently at around 38 built/UC
I don't understand how Malaysia has that many. They only have a couple major cities in a country smaller than Canada in both population and economy. It's easier to understand a small place like UAE having a lot due to the huge oil wealth but Malaysia is just moderately wealthy.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 2:33 PM
video et taceo

It's culture and will. First Canadian Place was the 6th tallest building in the world when built, equivalent to the 530m Tianjin Financial Center today. A 530m proposal would probably be seen as wild and excessive in contemporary Toronto.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 2:38 PM
I am the law!

Wealth is nothing without desire. Saudi Arabia was filthy rich when they viewed skyscrapers as a Western thing and thus were anti skyscraper imposing a maximum number of floors allowed similar to Hamilton (~30 storeys). That's why the first skyscraper ever built in Riyadh is 990 feet and ~30 storeys. The mega tall in Malaysia is being built through a government economic policy plan.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Canada is currently 140 and 32. There are 70 and 22 under construction. I couldn't tell you what is under construction in those nations but, I would wager money that Canada is keeping up and likely catching up to first place. As an aside, I would love to spend time in all (I'd want bodyguards on some of those visits) but, Singapore is the only place I would consider living in.
Why would you need bodyguards in any of those countries? SE Asia is one of the safest regions of the world and has been popular with travellers from Backpackers to Expats for decades.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 7:36 PM
I am the law!

It's an embellishment from what I have been told by former locals now living in Canada. Sounds like they may have been yanking my gold chains. I backpacked in Eastern Europe/ Russia around 17 and that's the last time I desired to backpack. I like to look good and be pampered. The Paris metro is terrible too and whoa South America.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 8:50 PM

I didn't mean to say only Backpackers and Expats go. Everyone from the gamut of low to high end go. Some of the cheapest 5 star hotels in the world can be found in Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok. And they probably exceed the quality and service found in the West. Vietnam and Indonesia are extremely budget friendly as well and you'll be in relative luxury for $50/night. SE Asia is one of easiest places in the world to travel in for a Canadian outside NA (probably 2nd easiest after Western Europe).

Always take with a grain of salt what an immigrant advises about their home country - especially if they landed in Canada many years ago. They'll always either give you an highly outdated or a highly skewed version of what life is like for travellers.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 9:34 PM
I am the law!

Nor did I. The point was based on the sources is that backpackers aren't a worthwhile target. Expats are also better at blending in. Bringing these up left me a little confused from what I was told.

People left their country looking for a better life. It makes sense they may be a little jaded. Seldom are they completely out in left field.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada