HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 7, 2024, 4:29 PM

"Sad to see the Federal Building on James N near King boarded up. This had been in the hands of Forge&Foster. Another blight on sad downtown. #hamont"

https://x.com/kathyrenwald/status/1832194955701284978

This isn't good.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2024, 4:34 PM

Joseph Mancinelli posted on facebook the other day (developer behind 75 James across from the YMCA and YWCA). That his staff have been observing coach busses full of homeless people being dropped off at the YMCA and YWCA daily, coming from Toronto and surrounding areas. If this is true, it is deeply concerning.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2024, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Joseph Mancinelli posted on facebook the other day (developer behind 75 James across from the YMCA and YWCA). That his staff have been observing coach busses full of homeless people being dropped off at the YMCA and YWCA daily, coming from Toronto and surrounding areas. If this is true, it is deeply concerning.
Is there any video to prove this claim? Not saying I don't believe them, but the first step in addressing the issue is proving that it's real.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2024, 5:31 PM

He posted two photos of some sort of van unloading about 6 homeless men in front of the YWCA.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2024, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Is there any video to prove this claim? Not saying I don't believe them, but the first step in addressing the issue is proving that it's real.
Love him or hate him, Cameron responded to this random accusation, with the fact that 1) sanctuary cities are not homeless welcoming cities, and that 2) staff have told council it's not happening, and that other cities think Hamilton is shipping out homeless to THEIR communities and that the reality is that homeless people have freedom of movement and are legally allowed to and commonly do travel from place to place. Sometimes, yes, on a bus.

The federal building is really unfortunate to be owned by failed brovestors Forge and Foster. Hopefully a new owner can bring it back to its former glory. The building predates Confederation, and I was able to find it on the McMaster microfiche fire maps from the 1850s. It was originally a post office.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Sep 7, 2024, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Love him or hate him, Cameron responded to this random accusation, with the fact that 1) sanctuary cities are not homeless welcoming cities, and that 2) staff have told council it's not happening, and that other cities think Hamilton is shipping out homeless to THEIR communities and that the reality is that homeless people have freedom of movement and are legally allowed to and commonly do travel from place to place. Sometimes, yes, on a bus.

The federal building is really unfortunate to be owned by failed brovestors Forge and Foster. Hopefully a new owner can bring it back to its former glory. The building predates Confederation, and I was able to find it on the McMaster microfiche fire maps from the 1850s. It was originally a post office.
Who cares if they are allowed to do it. They shouldn't be doing it and it's ruining our city. Cameron Kroetsch is quite literally dumping homeless people onto our streets by encouraging the type of sanctuary city mentality. It's wild. Fortunately big money is starting to take notice, and I suspect the backlash is going to be massive.

Is it possible to recall a city councillor in Canada? Because that's the direction this should be going.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2024, 6:44 PM

Quote:
He posted two photos of some sort of van unloading about 6 homeless men in front of the YWCA.
I've seen the 2 photos and I'm not seeing anything that would be described as that. And his post (which you referred to) mentioned "bus loads" - yet now it's supposed to be a van with 6 people. "Liuna workers" witnessed this, yet no one took proper video and pictures that show exactly what they mentioned.
Some real proof would be nice, otherwise it's just BS.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2024, 7:02 PM
Ham-burgher

Why don't we build camps for these people? The "coach buses"/vans can drive right into the gates and drop them off. [/sarcasm]

No matter what kind of vehicle they're using to travel, they are just trying to find a place to live. It's a sad reflection of our society at present, and I don't think things will change quickly (nor does anyone seem to have a simple solution -- I certainly don't!)

Old Posted Sep 7, 2024, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
I've seen the 2 photos and I'm not seeing anything that would be described as that. And his post (which you referred to) mentioned "bus loads" - yet now it's supposed to be a van with 6 people. "Liuna workers" witnessed this, yet no one took proper video and pictures that show exactly what they mentioned.
Some real proof would be nice, otherwise it's just BS.
I mean there's clearly a van in that photo, and it looks pretty clear that it dropped some people off and drove off I'm sure now that this post has gone viral there will be way more people paying attention. I trust Joe far more than Cameron Kroetsch thats for sure.

oh man that facebook post is becoming extremely entertaining. Jason Farr, Cameron Kroetsch, Fred Eisenberger, Victoria Mancinelli at eachothers throats. Love to see it. About time Kroetsch and his radical cronies get publicly shamed.

Last edited by TheHonestMaple; Sep 7, 2024 at 7:54 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2024, 9:12 PM

Quote:
I mean there's clearly a van in that photo, and it looks pretty clear that it dropped some people off and drove off
Maybe I'm looking at a different picture. Can you post it here, or at least a link to the picture?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2024, 9:45 PM

You can see it better on the facebook website. Admittedly it's a bad photo. Hopefully some more emerge.

Our downtown is at a crisis point. Something has to give. You can feel the anger in the air lately. People are openly discussing how bad city council and police have been handling this situation. Cameron Kroetsch and his facebook comments do nothing more than antagonize citizens.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2024, 10:39 PM

Quote:
You can see it better on the facebook website. Admittedly it's a bad photo. Hopefully some more emerge.

Our downtown is at a crisis point. Something has to give. You can feel the anger in the air lately. People are openly discussing how bad city council and police have been handling this situation. Cameron Kroetsch and his facebook comments do nothing more than antagonize citizens.
Deep, deep, deep code red. If solutions are not found really really really soon, the place will see more and more business closures and overall abandonment. And shovels will not be going into the ground any time in the near, medium, or long terms.

The arena renovation is the best thing happening downtown right now, and I have high hopes for it, but it will not be nearly enough to solve things on its own.

Zombies are bad for business. It is sad that a few dozen or few hundred of them are destroying this place.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2024, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
Deep, deep, deep code red. If solutions are not found really really really soon, the place will see more and more business closures and overall abandonment. And shovels will not be going into the ground any time in the near, medium, or long terms.

The arena renovation is the best thing happening downtown right now, and I have high hopes for it, but it will not be nearly enough to solve things on its own.

Zombies are bad for business. It is sad that a few dozen or few hundred of them are destroying this place.
It's actually wild how quickly the decline happened too. This summer is noticeably worse than last. Businesses are closing left and right, people moving out of their apartments and homes to move to Burlington/Oakville etc. Pretending it isn't bad is just delusional.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 1:30 AM
Hamilton Historian

I think people assumed if they built a ton of stuff downtown people would flock to them and those people would just magically change things - unfortunately those people tend to have money and know they can live somewhere better, without all the you know what. I don't even remember it being THIS bad.. the pandemic seemed to spur this along - I really hope a reversal happens soon so that all this hard work to try to turn hamilton around isn't all for nothing.

And I get it, every downtown sucks and has problems in it own way - hamilton has had a history for a long time of being just that - I feel the handouts during the pandemic convinced people they don't have to be social, and they don't have to try.. so people just.. well.. gave up!

Our sorta woke mentality of dealing with all this has not helped either - and I feel as was said, the backlash towards it is not only going to be severe, but its gonna be handled very badly. Vigilantes and whatnot. Eventually, when people feel their govt has failed them, take matters into their own hands - the anger spills over.

The federal building inside is beautiful - it pains my heart to see it boarded up and graffiti'd.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I think people assumed if they built a ton of stuff downtown people would flock to them and those people would just magically change things - unfortunately those people tend to have money and know they can live somewhere better, without all the you know what. I don't even remember it being THIS bad.. the pandemic seemed to spur this along - I really hope a reversal happens soon so that all this hard work to try to turn hamilton around isn't all for nothing.

And I get it, every downtown sucks and has problems in it own way - hamilton has had a history for a long time of being just that - I feel the handouts during the pandemic convinced people they don't have to be social, and they don't have to try.. so people just.. well.. gave up!

Our sorta woke mentality of dealing with all this has not helped either - and I feel as was said, the backlash towards it is not only going to be severe, but its gonna be handled very badly. Vigilantes and whatnot. Eventually, when people feel their govt has failed them, take matters into their own hands - the anger spills over.

The federal building inside is beautiful - it pains my heart to see it boarded up and graffiti'd.
I've heard rumors that a vigilante group of men have formed in the North End to enforce the law, because the police aren't. That's a frightening thought if true. Apparently they go around Bayfront Park removing tents when the addicts aren't there, and just generally confronting people for doing drugs in public and breaking the law.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 3:55 AM

Quote:
I've heard rumors that a vigilante group of men have formed in the North End to enforce the law, because the police aren't. That's a frightening thought if true. Apparently they go around Bayfront Park removing tents when the addicts aren't there, and just generally confronting people for doing drugs in public and breaking the law.
I hope that that isn't true. Something like that would not be a solution, but another phase of degeneration.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
I hope that that isn't true. Something like that would not be a solution, but another phase of degeneration.
Agreed. Not good.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 10:39 AM

good read

Not sure if this recent prospective link will work but speaks more of the truth over the doom and gloom.

https://www.thespec.com/opinion/cont...ign=user-share

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 12:47 PM

Hamilton's growth is poised to continue due to several compelling factors. Firstly, its strategic location within the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) makes it an attractive option for developers. Hamilton's proximity to Toronto, along with its accessibility via major transit routes, ensures it remains a focal point for development. The city's established infrastructure, though in need of modernization, provides a solid foundation for future growth.

Concerns about businesses leaving are largely unfounded, as Hamilton's economic landscape is bolstered by its industrial presence and affordable real estate market, which remains appealing compared to Toronto.The city's commitment to infrastructure and urban development, including the expansion of the Urban Boundary, further supports its growth trajector.

The issue of homelessness is expected to be mitigated by ongoing gentrification and shifts in political representation that align with changing neighborhood demographics. Local leaders, like Cameron Kroetch, are attuned to the needs of their constituents, particularly in areas like Ward 2, which is undergoing significant transformation due to social programs and gentrification. His brand of politics will be gone soon.

Remember, overall Hamilton's growth is supported by its advantageous location, economic opportunities, and strategic urban planning, making it a desirable place for residents and investors alike.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 10:09 PM

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton