HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
This (above) is 60 Market Street. Thank you for sharing a construction update!
Thanks for the info. BTW, your town has some amazing buildings! I think my favorite was the S&W Cafeteria.... what a gem.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy33 View Post
^And a nice-looking building it is shaping up to be!
Let's see more!!
For more pics of the progress of this building, check out the Webcam.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 12:05 AM

^That webcam is awesome, thanks for linking it. :-)
Myself, I already do check it regularly.

Sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant was that I'd like to see more buildings along the lines of 60 North Market.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 7:29 PM

Day Trip to Asheville

Just got back from a quick trip to Asheville with some friends who hadn't been there yet and wanted to give them a quick tour of the town.

I hadn't been in Asheville since December so I was anxious to see how new projects were progressing.

Capital Centre is looking great! Can't wait to go inside that one when it's finished. Also, 60 North Market is looking awesome as well. Hotel Indigo, I could only see from a bit of a distance but looks like they are starting on the ground floor pilings now. Exciting!
Also saw something that surprised me. Looks like a new parking deck under construction over by the Renaissance Hotel. Hauntedheadnc, who is building this? Who will use it?
Was a bit disappointed by the Pack Square redevelopment, which seems to be perpetually semi-complete. Will they ever finish this?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 5:23 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
You saw the new county parking deck under construction, and as far as Pack Square goes, your guess is as good as anyone's as to when they'll get the damned thing done. People's patience has been very tried by it.
“It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.” -- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 8:45 PM

This thread has been very quiet for quite awhile. Anything new in Asheville to report?
How is Zona Lofts coming along? Have they even started construction?
How about the Haywood Park Hotel redevelopment?
How is the Indigo coming along?

Anyone want to go on an Asheville photo tour? Hauntedheadnc?
:-)

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 8:48 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
This thread has been very quiet for quite awhile. Anything new in Asheville to report?
How is Zona Lofts coming along? Have they even started construction?
How about the Haywood Park Hotel redevelopment?
How is the Indigo coming along?

Anyone want to go on an Asheville photo tour? Hauntedheadnc?
:-)
There is construction equipment on site at the Zona Lofts spot, the Haywood Park project was deemed too tall by city council and sent back for revisions, and the Indigo is under construction even as we type.

I stopped posting in this thread because it felt like I was spamming. It was mostly just me talking to myself in here.

For photo tours, I have at least two in the pipeline for Halloween.
“It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.” -- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 11:11 PM

HauntedheadNC, please don't ever feel like you are spamming. I always look for your updates on Asheville, it is one of my very favoritest cities!!
I like reading the news articles you find.

I plan to visit there again hopefully in November, can't wait!

Looking forward to your Halloween photo tour! :-)

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 11:55 PM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
There is construction equipment on site at the Zona Lofts spot, the Haywood Park project was deemed too tall by city council and sent back for revisions, and the Indigo is under construction even as we type.

I stopped posting in this thread because it felt like I was spamming. It was mostly just me talking to myself in here.

For photo tours, I have at least two in the pipeline for Halloween.
You're not talking to yourself; I'm listening. It is a shame that I will not be able to get back to Asheville until Thanksgiving.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 1:35 AM

Biltmore Park Town Square:

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 2:05 AM

Thanks for the photo, g-man!
What part of town is that in? I don't recognize that.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the photo, g-man!
What part of town is that in? I don't recognize that.
It's at the intersection of Long Shoals Road and Interstate 26 (exit 37). The big purple structure you see is going to be a Hilton hotel. Here is the site plan: http://www.shopbiltmorepark.com/pdf/siteplan.pdf REI opens on October 17th.

Barack Obama came to Asheville today. Over 28,000 spectators showed up. Check out the photo gallery here: http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...arams=Itemnr=1

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 6:30 PM

Thanks for the info, g-man! I actually looked up their website after posting the question. I guess I shoulda thought about that before I asked.
But a wonderful development it is going to be! I am looking forward to driving by there on I-26 next time I go to Asheville, hopefully next month!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 12:12 AM
Fourth and Main

Thank you for posting a construction update. Do you have any more construction photos of Asheville?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2008, 2:33 PM

60 North Market

Some updated 60 North Market photos below. Pretty spectacular building now that it has come together.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...cPtdTBcHGkPnPQ

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...cZJYWYRs-x8OEg

Photos by Jim Privette

Last edited by ATLs Finest; Nov 3, 2008 at 2:40 PM. Reason: forgot photographer credit

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 12:48 AM

^Looks great! Thanks for posting! I wish I had the $ to buy a condo in that building as a second home. I plan to be in Asheville Nov. 22-24, can't wait!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 8:12 PM

60 Nm

Toured the building Friday. Absolutely amazing views and really nice finishes. It works well with its surroundings on all four sides. Neat little alley between it and the Wolfe House and the side by the Renaissance really turned out well. However, along Market Street, looking at the building it really looks as if it could have been there for years, at least at street level. It has turned out very well.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 2:41 PM

Hi all!
No activity on this thread for awhile. Maybe 'cause not much is going on? Where are your newspaper reports, Hauntedheadnc? I do like reading them.

Anyway, I was in Asheville with a couple of friends the weekend before Thanksgiving. Went and checked out what was going on with Zona Lofts and saw that they had begun excavating. Good to see that. How is it looking now?

Great to see the Indigo going up! Surprised to see a steel frame instead of the usual reinforced concrete.

Capital Centre looks wonderful! Too bad to already see grafiti on its chic new sign. I guess somebody had to make it fit into the neighborhood.

Had brunch on Sunday at a little cafe in the S&W. Happy to see that beautiful building come back to life!

Sadly, I fear these projects may be all we see for a good while. I think the economy may kill Ellington and Haywood Park projects. Hope not, but fear so.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 6:31 PM

Haywood Park was cancelled due to the economy and city wanting a change in design to the development: http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...=2008811120340 Ellington could start construction in summer 2009 although that depends on what happens with the economy.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 3:20 PM

Yes. The Haywood Park developer (Tony Fraga) is now focusing on refurbishing the existing buildings rather than building new towers. Hopefully eventually this will include some sort of replacement for the Kostas building and the empty lot facing the Grove Arcade, even if it's not as grand as his twin-towers plan. For new construction, he's focusing on his redevelopment of Westgate.

In news about other projects, Indigo is getting close to topping out, Bohemian Hotel is nearing completion and will open for business in March, Pioneer Building looks pretty much done, 60 North Market looks great, and that's just about all. I didn't get to check Haywood Road out but supposedly Village on Haywood is under construction.

The most recent news is that a draft of the downtown master plan is available for review (courtesy of the Mountain X.)

Also, the Buncombe County Commission is set to vote today on an alternative for the I-26 Connector. Rumor has it that they will probably vote to support Alternative 3. My personal favorite is alternative 4 (rather than the ADC's 4B). Alternative 3 has generally fewer negative impacts. However, 4 and 4B have one huge positive impact - that is, it places Patton Avenue and I-240 on separate bridges over the French Broad, allowing Patton Avenue to claim the Smoky Park Bridge for itself and to be turned into a grand boulevard. I prefer 4 over 4B because 4B involves a huge high-flying viaduct over Patton and the river, and because 4B has an inferior interchange design on the west side of the river.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast