HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 4:56 PM
Change is good

Thank you Margaret!

https://citymuseumedmonton.ca/2021/1...kinnon-ravine/

Quote:
Is Edmonton different from other cities? Yes! Because of a few God-given assets—our lovely river valley, the well-treed ravines. Without these we would have another flat, windy uninteresting city.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
I remember all of those fights. Also watching the construction begin as well. Hell I remember the pre Whitemud ravine as well.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
A most interesting post and thank you for sharing this. What a wonderful person Margaret Chappelle was and and the legacy she has left us which is protection of the McKinnon Park and bequest to the SPCA. One thing leads to another such as me noting the article was written by author Bruce Cinnamon. Googling I discovered he has a webpage and appears from his photo a rather youthful - 20-30's good looking young man and has written many short stories (Blind Date looks interesting "inspiration from Edmonton’s coal mining history—at one point, coal mining was the city’s biggest industry, and there are still huge caverns under the eastern part of the city where the mines were simply sealed shut.) and a book called The Melting Queen about Edmonton. I am now reading it! His short stories also look interesting. https://www.brucecinnamon.com

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 3:54 PM
Change is good

National Urban Parks in Edmonton was discussed in council in monday's morning session.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 8:00 PM
Community Guy

River valley park named for Edmonton’s first female mayor
November 25, 2021

Former Edmonton mayor Jan Reimer is being recognized for her service to the community with a park named in her honour. The park will be part of existing river valley parkland close to the Oleskiw neighbourhood located near the Terwillegar Park footbridge.

The park’s name was proposed to the Naming Committee to recognize former Mayor Reimer’s many achievements in her service to the community, particularly her work to preserve the River Valley.

“A lifelong Edmontonian, during her public service career she dedicated herself to advancing important civic initiatives,” said Erin McDonald, Chair of the Naming Committee. “Through the lens of history, it is clear that Jan Reimer had a significant impact on Edmonton. For her contributions, the Edmonton Naming Committee is proud to support this naming initiative.”

Reimer left municipal politics in 1995 and has been involved in a number of local and provincial issues, most notably for her work on reducing family violence. As the Executive Director of the Alberta Council of Women’s Shelters, Reimer speaks regularly about curbing family violence and lobbies for more support for abused women and children.

“An honour like this is long overdue. Jan’s entire career has been built around giving voice and support to folks in our community who’ve often been overlooked or sidelined. From her work at City Hall to the Alberta Council of Women’s Shelters, she always puts people first,” said YWCA Edmonton CEO Katherine O’Neill. “Jan has also never been afraid to go first, whether it was when she was elected Edmonton’s first -- and still only – female mayor or when she championed environmental policies long before it became mainstream. Jan’s bravery has inspired many.”

Jan Reimer was born in Edmonton in 1952. She won her first election as Alderman for the former Ward one in 1980. She was reelected again in 1983 and 1986 (Alderman terms at that time were three years) and won the office of Mayor in 1988 replacing Laurence Decore. Reimer advocated for changing the title of Alderman to Councillor and championed improvements to the City’s waste management system including recyclables and eco stations. She worked on initiatives to improve the water quality of the North Saskatchewan River and in preserving the river valley and extending the trail system. She helped establish the Edmonton Arts Council and the Aboriginal Advisory Committee.

Reimer was recognized as an Edmontonian of the Century in 2004 and has received the YWCA Women of Distinction Award and the Governor General’s Award.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/naming
Jan Reimer Park location map

Media contact:
Mary-Ann Thurber
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-619-3254

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 8:39 PM

^ Are you kidding?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 10:09 PM
Change is good

Very opposed to that park being named after her

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 10:11 PM
Community Guy

Why is that?

Because we lost some HQs to Calgary and that she was 'anti-business'?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 10:30 PM
Derp

I think many folks would feel that way. I know I do

Her policies alienated the corporate community, many home-grown corporate giants left for greener, more welcoming pastures and I'd say it set Edmonton back decades as far as being recognized as a destination for HQ's is concerned.

Humanitarian? Sure
Legacy as Mayor? Garbage

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 10:55 PM
Change is good

as above, and various flaws in the River Valley Plan adopted in her time as mayor, mostly surrounding usage in various classification of land within

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 11:55 PM

She's been gone for a couple of decades now. Various mayors have been in power now.
Have the HQ's come back since?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSS1974 View Post
She's been gone for a couple of decades now. Various mayors have been in power now.
Have the HQ's come back since?
at least we haven't lost pcl and cwb and peace hills and servus and atb and dynalife and stantec and finning and aimco and bee-clean and katz group and fountain tire...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
at least we haven't lost pcl and cwb and peace hills and servus and atb and dynalife and stantec and finning and aimco and bee-clean and katz group and fountain tire...
Agreed, and let’s hold on to what we have.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 1:23 AM

I understand that Shaw and Enbridge left under former mayor reimer’s time and some are upset by it
Shaw is now going to get gobbled up by Rogers, and slowly the executive jobs will head to the big smoke and their hq in Calgary will turn into a “regional” office
Enbridge… their hq maybe in Calgary but what friends tell me is that the big decisions are made from Houston, engineering and ops in Edmonton, and they have a growing corporate office in Toronto
Head offices come and go. Yes we need more head offices and regional offices in Edmonton but what we need just as much are jobs and operations that are ‘anchored’ in Edmonton region. Head office jobs can be relocated over a weekend
I think Edmonton is doing ok and crying about offices that left decades ago and pointing fingers at a former mayor are a waste of time

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 2:54 AM

The garbage dump is the only thing that should be named after Jan Reimer.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 3:57 AM

^ agreed. It was the decade of darkness in this city under her mismanagement.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 7:35 AM

Vancouver also lost head offices to Calgary through the 90s.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 3:40 PM
Community Guy

And Toronto to Calgary as well.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 4:12 PM

I have issues with Riemer as Mayor as well. But at that time we also had Ed Ledger on council. So there was enough finger pointing at the time.

But she has done a lot for women's issues of late.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 4:41 PM
Community Guy

She also did a lot of work for the arts community, indigenous and addressed multiple social issues.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton