HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 8:39 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Once you get used to a helmet, they're not that bad and they do a good job of keeping your noggin warm. All it takes is to catch an edge and you're toast. When it comes to trees, helmets are good for branches to the head, but if you hit a tree at speed you're pretty much fucked.
Agree 100%. I don't go super fast in the trees, but if I made a bad move and hit one, it would definitely result in a concussion. Like you said, all it takes is to catch an edge and you are toast. I, for some strange reason, tend to do this on the easiest runs. I am probably not paying attention or just boarding sloppy. I cracked a rib once on the bottom of the hill at Louise, just above the Gondola entrance. I wasn't even going that fast, I just fell funny. It sucked pretty hard for about a month. Coughing was horrible.

Helmets are easy once you get used to them. I have headphones in mine, so it makes it all the better.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 3:30 AM

Helmets suck. I've been using them for 10 years and still despise them. I skied one day last year where I forgot the helmet at home and not having to deal with the constant discomfort was like an energy boost. I have a weird hangup though. Wearing anything constricting or on my head drives me nuts. I get a headache and sweat if I wear a tie or a baseball cap.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 6:06 AM

Weird, have you tried multiple types? I have to say, I was hesitant to get a helmet but got one 2 years ago (after taking a branch off the top of my head while going through the trees, not injured, but sure stung). I find it way more comfortable and warm than anything else I wore on my head while skiing. Will never go back to not wearing one.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Agree 100%. I don't go super fast in the trees, but if I made a bad move and hit one, it would definitely result in a concussion. Like you said, all it takes is to catch an edge and you are toast. I, for some strange reason, tend to do this on the easiest runs. I am probably not paying attention or just boarding sloppy. I cracked a rib once on the bottom of the hill at Louise, just above the Gondola entrance. I wasn't even going that fast, I just fell funny. It sucked pretty hard for about a month. Coughing was horrible.

Helmets are easy once you get used to them. I have headphones in mine, so it makes it all the better.
From your comments here, I'd be more worried about tree wells than hitting an actual tree. Tree wells probably kill more people than the trees themselves. Does any of your gear have a Recco reflector?

Might not save you, but at least your family won't have to wait until the summer to hold a funeral.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 6:36 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
From your comments here, I'd be more worried about tree wells than hitting an actual tree. Tree wells probably kill more people than the trees themselves. Does any of your gear have a Recco reflector?

Might not save you, but at least your family won't have to wait until the summer to hold a funeral.
Maybe something I should look into more. Hopefully I am never put in that situation, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

EDIT- One positive is that I prefer tree areas that have mostly branch-free bases, which eliminates the possibility of wells. Those trees are also easier to grab onto.

Last edited by fusili; Dec 26, 2011 at 8:12 AM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Maybe something I should look into more. Hopefully I am never put in that situation, but it does hurt to be prepared.

EDIT- One positive is that I prefer tree areas that have mostly branch-free bases, which eliminates the possibility of wells. Those trees are also easier to grab onto.
I like to be prepared just so I don't sound like a dumbass in the news article that reports on my demise.

I can't remember the name of the place, but there's a small hill in Montana where locals have trimmed the bottom half of the trees. They look like evergreen palmtrees.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 8:14 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
I like to be prepared just so I don't sound like a dumbass in the news article that reports on my demise.

I can't remember the name of the place, but there's a small hill in Montana where locals have trimmed the bottom half of the trees. They look like evergreen palmtrees.
Wait, I meant it doesn't hurt to be prepared. I guess it was just lazy typing.

I also don't ever go alone, usually in groups of three or more, and usually when we are in the trees we kinda take turns doing little runs, so it allows people to watch out for each other.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Weird, have you tried multiple types? I have to say, I was hesitant to get a helmet but got one 2 years ago (after taking a branch off the top of my head while going through the trees, not injured, but sure stung). I find it way more comfortable and warm than anything else I wore on my head while skiing. Will never go back to not wearing one.
Oh yeah, I've tried many types and they are all the same. Ideally, I prefer skiing 1970s style with nothing on my head but goggles.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Wait, I meant it doesn't hurt to be prepared. I guess it was just lazy typing.

I also don't ever go alone, usually in groups of three or more, and usually when we are in the trees we kinda take turns doing little runs, so it allows people to watch out for each other.
Going in groups like that and watching each other complete a section is probably the safest thing you can do.

Speaking of riding, I was hoping to go today, but with no new snow, I decided to stay in town. Major bummer.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Oh yeah, I've tried many types and they are all the same. Ideally, I prefer skiing 1970s style with nothing on my head but goggles.
and frostbite?...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 12:51 AM

Blackcomb on Sunday: virtually direct to lift skiing all day at Glacier and Jersey Cream. Solar Coaster was a 1-2 minute wait.

Yeah, weather sucked big time and snows not as plentiful as in recent years past, but this was the weekend for crying out loud!

If I were Whistler-Blackcomb, I'd be worried.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 3:38 AM

Quote:
and frostbite?...
Real Albertans don't dress for the weather

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Blackcomb on Sunday: virtually direct to lift skiing all day at Glacier and Jersey Cream. Solar Coaster was a 1-2 minute wait.

Yeah, weather sucked big time and snows not as plentiful as in recent years past, but this was the weekend for crying out loud!

If I were Whistler-Blackcomb, I'd be worried.
Yeah we changed our plans for a 3 months ski trip last minute and headed to Hawaii for a month. Hopefully better snow in Feb and March.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Yeah we changed our plans for a 3 months ski trip last minute and headed to Hawaii for a month. Hopefully better snow in Feb and March.
Real Albertans don't go to Hawaii for a month during ski season

Just kidding, sounds pretty nice, and I would do it too.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 4:11 PM

Quote:
3 MONTH ski trip?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 6:53 PM

Quote:
This should look familiar to Denscity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua26CixwnKs
Haven't been to the BC ab section of ssp in a while. Nice one Doug! I had heard of this film in local media but kinda forgot about it. Very well done and I do indeed recognize it. It's next door Trail BC. And Jp no less. Thanks for that.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 6:59 PM

Quote:
It is all relative. The interior is drier than the coast, but still high density compared to the Rockies. The best snow on BC is Whitewater.
Anybody ever been to Powder King in BC? They are in a dry and cold region of BC and always have a metre of base more than anybody else.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Anybody ever been to Powder King in BC? They are in a dry and cold region of BC and always have a metre of base more than anybody else.
I haven't, but I know a few people who have and they never shut up about the place. One buddy of mine has a great story about bugging a telemarking ski patrol to taking him out of bounds on her break. She finally relented but warned him that she wouldn't wait for him.

He said it was the fastest he's even been on a board and he couldn't keep up with her.

It's very rustic to put it nicely, ATCO trailer for a lodge and bring your own bedding but well worth the trip.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
3 MONTH ski trip?
Yes. Took the kids out of school (not like they do much there anyways), borrowed a friend's motorhome and planned three months across western US and BC. Should have done it last year when there was more snow.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Real Albertans don't go to Hawaii for a month during ski season

Just kidding, sounds pretty nice, and I would do it too.
Been to Hawaii lately? Albertans everywhere. I keep bumping into people I knew from my Deadmonton days.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia