HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 2:41 PM

I actually enjoy the pop music of the moment... give me Dua Lipa, T Swifty, Harry Styles and the Jonas Brothers all day. Throw in some Drake, 21 Savage, Cardi B and The Weeknd too while you're at it. If you're ever in Winnipeg stopped at a red light and you see a middle aged man in a Bombers polo shirt the next car over earnestly belting out Cruel Summer, that would likely be me

The only "old music" station I like listening to is Prime Country on SiriusXM... there is just something about those old 80s and 90s country songs

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I actually enjoy the pop music of the moment... give me Dua Lipa, T Swifty, Harry Styles and the Jonas Brothers all day. Throw in some Drake, 21 Savage, Cardi B and The Weeknd too while you're at it. If you're ever in Winnipeg stopped at a red light and you see a middle aged man in a Bombers polo shirt the next car over earnestly belting out Cruel Summer, that would likely be me

The only "old music" station I like listening to is Prime Country on SiriusXM... there is just something about those old 80s and 90s country songs
Lol, same. Having a 5 year old daughter definitely got me back into listening to the latest hits—she loves that stuff.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 3:07 PM
Mooderator

Hey now, don't get me wrong. I like some Weeknd (can we call him that now?) and some Dua Lipa now and then.

My youngest kid usually hijacks my car sound system with his bluetooth and plays a lot of weird 2020's stuff.. but once and a while there will be a song he heard from the 60s or 70s that makes me think his generation is going to be okay.

He actually had 'In the evening' from Led Zep on a playlist. Guy is 13. I have hope.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 3:07 PM
Fake News

My 4 YO goes through phases of favourite music. Thankfully it's mostly stuff I like. More recently it's shifted from AC DC and Rob Zombie to Lady Gaga and now funny enough TV on the Radio. Thankfully I like most of it since he plays it to death. Also if you ever need your toddler to expend all of their excess energy try playing Chic N. Stu by System of a Down. My son actually has a pretend pizza that he can put felt toppings on and plays "Pizza Pie" so he loves the song and thinks it's made just for that.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 3:19 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
My 4 YO goes through phases of favourite music. Thankfully it's mostly stuff I like. More recently it's shifted from AC DC and Rob Zombie to Lady Gaga and now funny enough TV on the Radio. Thankfully I like most of it since he plays it to death. Also if you ever need your toddler to expend all of their excess energy try playing Chic N. Stu by System of a Down. My son actually has a pretend pizza that he can put felt toppings on and plays "Pizza Pie" so he loves the song and thinks it's made just for that.

Video Link
I have a video of my kid dancing in a diaper in front of the tv to Dragula. I am saving it for his wedding.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanYEG View Post
Lol, same. Having a 5 year old daughter definitely got me back into listening to the latest hits—she loves that stuff.
Yeah, absolutely, my kids love that stuff so it got me listening to the top 40 music.

That said, I do miss the brief period when the kids couldn't get enough Stompin' Tom and his "Best Of" CD was in heavy rotation in the car. That whole album should be remarketed as children's music, it's as catchy as hell.

It was enough to make us go out of our way to visit the Stompin' Tom Centre in Skinners Pond, PEI last summer

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 3:38 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I have a video of my kid dancing in a diaper in front of the tv to Dragula. I am saving it for his wedding.
Hahahaha! I like that you're already compiling blackmail material.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 3:43 PM
Fake News

Calgary had a massive e. coli outbreak at 11 daycares that affected 190 and hospitalized 27 people. Glad my kid gets to bring his own snacks to pre-school. I see a massive lawsuit coming.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...cares-outbreak

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 4:21 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Hahahaha! I like that you're already compiling blackmail material.
The list is getting frighteningly long.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 4:24 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yeah, absolutely, my kids love that stuff so it got me listening to the top 40 music.

That said, I do miss the brief period when the kids couldn't get enough Stompin' Tom and his "Best Of" CD was in heavy rotation in the car. That whole album should be remarketed as children's music, it's as catchy as hell.

It was enough to make us go out of our way to visit the Stompin' Tom Centre in Skinners Pond, PEI last summer
In 2012, I had a Kidz Bop CD in my van and I can recite every lyric to every song to this day.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 4:28 PM
Fake News

Quote:
In 2012, I had a Kidz Bop CD in my van and I can recite every lyric to every song to this day.
I have the Kidz Bop version of Lizzo's About Damn Time memorized. The kids' version is called About That Time. A few other interesting lyrical changes in the song as well.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 4:35 PM

Quote:
The only radio station I can stomach in Ottawa is Boom 99.7.

70s, 80s, 90s.

I actually wouldn't mind them cutting off the 90s part, maybe cut it off at 1996.

I can't stand the DJ party mixes every pop station throws on for their weekends. Jeez, I could run a radio station.. just download spotify and press play.
For me, all I can deal with is CBC Radio 1 or 2 and once in a while 88.5 or the campus stations. The endless commercials and 'information updates' (code for we just read headlines from newswires and it meets CRTC news requirements) that are not very informative and the repetitive songs drive me up the wall.

The 'two guys and a girl' morning shows are the worst. Two guys tell awful jokes and the girl just laughs along with them and they talk about Tik Tok trends. Give me strength.

CHEZ 106 which is the local classic RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK station I swear just puts the Eagles, Max Webster, Zep, Floyd, Rush, AC/DC on repeat and literally just two or three songs mainly from each. I hear CHEZ once or twice a year at my dentists in the ceiling and it is the same songs I swear from the last time I was there.

Spotify with the ability to download my playlist to my phone has been a godsend for car travel.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 4:37 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
I have the Kidz Bop version of Lizzo's About Damn Time memorized. The kids' version is called About That Time. A few other interesting lyrical changes in the song as well.
Yeah, the blasphemous CD I had included Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call me Maybe'

Ripped jeans, 'smile' was showin. Smile instead of skin.

Video Link

So wholesome.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 4:45 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
For me, all I can deal with is CBC Radio 1 or 2 and once in a while 88.5 or the campus stations. The endless commercials and 'information updates' (code for we just read headlines from newswires and it meets CRTC news requirements) that are not very informative and the repetitive songs drive me up the wall.

The 'two guys and a girl' morning shows are the worst. Two guys tell awful jokes and the girl just laughs along with them and they talk about Tik Tok trends. Give me strength.

CHEZ 106 which is the local classic RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK station I swear just puts the Eagles, Max Webster, Zep, Floyd, Rush, AC/DC on repeat and literally just two or three songs mainly from each. I hear CHEZ once or twice a year at my dentists in the ceiling and it is the same songs I swear from the last time I was there.

Spotify with the ability to download my playlist to my phone has been a godsend for car travel.

Whenever I talk about radio, I await your response

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 5:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post

Growling, deep voice: "the home....of CLASSIC ROOOOCCCKKK!!"
"Time to Get the Lead Out" (of course they will play "Rock and Roll" by Zeppelin).

I love classic rock. It is my favourite genre of music. But dammit there are tens of thousands of good and great songs....not just the standard 10 on rotation.

I never want to hear these songs again (some by fantastic bands):
Hotel California-The Eagles
Carry on my Wayward Son-Kansas
Maggie fucking May-Rod Stewart
Tiny Dancer-Elton John
Don't Stop Believin'-Journey
Rock and Roll-Led Zeppelin
Money-Pink Floyed
Life's Been Good-Joe Walsh
Band on the Fucking Run-Wings
Smoke on the Water-Deep Purple
Here I go Again-Whitesnake
Back in Black-AC/DC
Tom Sawyer-Rush
Bohemian Rhapsody-Queen
Don't fear the Reaper-Blue Oyster Cult
Free Fallin'-Tom Petty
Takin' Care of Business-BTO
Summer of '69-Bryan Fucking Adams
Sweet Child O' Mine-Guns N Roses
Anything by Nickelback

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 5:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Around 2010, it was this. Still causes me to break out in hives:

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 5:17 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Around 2010, it was this. Still causes me to break out in hives:
I actually don't mind sesame street lol. You never had the displeasure of hearing kids youtube trash. I talk to my son as the count sometimes.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 5:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
I actually don't mind sesame street lol. You never had the displeasure of hearing kids youtube trash. I talk to my son as the count sometimes.
been there, done that.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 5:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Speaking of Sesame Street, is Guy Smiley still around?

46 years later, still hilarious (Bert's reactions are priceless: counting fire engines and ballons ) Especially at 2:28
Video Link

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Whenever I talk about radio, I await your response
I did stints at University on campus radio and it taught me lots about radio. Ottawa radio is so bland and formulaic. At times in the Montreal and eastern Townships area I was able to pick up WNCS The Point radio

https://pointfm.com/

Now that is a radio station. Maybe Lio45 listens.

Totally agree with Molson's rant about classssssssssssssssssssssssssiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccccccccccccccccccc RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRooooooooooooooooooooooooooooCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada