HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 6:38 PM

For some reason I can't download the whole document. Could one of you post the renderings if you have the time?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 7:46 PM

Last edited by PacificNW; Jan 10, 2007 at 1:59 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 12:18 AM

Thanks. I agree, even in this initial rendering the design looks like it is going to be compelling.

Looking at the site in the photo below from Portlandmaps, I'm guessing that the existing building on the southern half of the lot is staying. The tower apparently will be on the NE corner... I didn't realize how close it will be to ZGF. You can see a corner of that site in this photo, plus the parking lot on the Crystal block that is slated for development. Cool. Now all we need is to cover 405!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 12:41 AM

its going to be awesome to drive by on the 405 and watch it rise

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 2:02 AM

Ooooh...me likey. Thank god it is slender and has some curvature.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 2:12 AM

looks like the architects in town are finally starting to think outside the 'box' (bad pun intended)

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 3:11 AM

and it's LRS, no less!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 9:33 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Maybe they finally hired a designer?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 9:44 PM

would be cooler if it had a spire. then it would truly be the "manhattan" but it's exciting all the same.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 10:19 PM

From the 2D renderings it sort of looks similar to the Benson Tower, which IMO is a great tower. But the 3D rendering shows those curves, and it's even better. I love it.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 12:04 AM
A before E

would be nice to see this start a trend for apartment towers on that side of the 405. Goose Hollow should be much more dense than what it really is.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Goose Hollow should be much more dense than what it really is.
I think Goose Hollow will be much more dense than it is in the next 5 years...the Allegro's a go, the Jefferson is under way, the Civic is almost finished, and now the Manhattan...lots of possibilities for the area, and the neighborhood doesn't seem sick with NIMBYISM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 12:24 AM
A before E

the current residents are too poor to be NIMBYs would be my guess. Or better example would be buildings like Civic tend to attracted the YIMBYs. Either way, cool to see new things going on over there.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 5:44 AM
inside + out

I agree the Manhattan Tower (from the renderings, at least) will be an exciting and welcome addition to the Goose Hollow area, and as others have stated several more are planned or underway (Civic, Allegro).

One thing that is a bit hard to get past, though, is the rather unfortunate location for what appears to be such a spectacular building. Because of the way I-405 turns right in that area it almost looks like it wraps around the block a bit. I've often wondered about he several buildings in the Pearl that border I-405. I know some of the older ones do hear the traffic noise quite a bit. Of course, I'm sure the Manhattan Tower will probably have good sound insulation. And unless they cover 405 and build a tall building in front of it, there will be killer views looking East.

Wish we could get more condo buildings like this in the West End. Maybe that will come eventually, but I guess that is one thing I would wish for this building -- that it were built somewhere a bit more central (on Broadway, or next to the Galleria, or something like that).

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 6:00 AM

Re: noise. There's that little five-story building on 16th and Alder, right on the curve of 405. I read, years ago, when it was built, that the developer was very concerned about noise and ended up using triple-paned windows, at least on the freeway side. IIRC, residents interviewed for the article said they barely heard the freeway. So I imagine it won't be much of a problem.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 6:05 AM

I also agree that this looks like a great tower.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 1:52 PM
No longer PDX

Very nice! If they use a quality skin it should be a showpiece.

It looks like they are tying it into the building next door with the parking garage. If I recall correctly that a really ugly 60's office building with a big rose painted on it? I wonder if they're going to remodel that building at the same time?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 4:40 PM
Well designed mixed use

I live two blocks from this site. I really like the Goose Hollow Area, but it's curiously lacking in street activity for a very nice looking neighborhoold a stone's throw from downtown. I saw a well-known real estate consultant (whom I used to work for) taking pictures of the Commodore Building a couple of weeks ago. The Commodore won't like be going anywhere, but the block also includes a surface-parking lot that's totally empty, and 20,000sf one-story building used to house classic cars. It seems ripe for redevelopment.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 5:28 PM

The main reason that neighborhood has not taken off and maybe even why it has taken the West End so long to take off is because of the 405. I really think capping 405 should be a priority, more so even then moving I 5 off the river. I don’t know anything about engineering but it seems it would not be too difficult to cap it, at least around where the Manhattan is going in. I am sure you could even get developers to pay for some of it.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 6:10 PM
A before E

yeah, I am all for capping. The 405 is already below street level, capping just makes sense.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland