HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 8:45 AM

Quote:
maccoinnich: Summary memo [PDF] from DAR #2.
Nice:

Quote:
Editorial Commentary:

Two Commissioners expressed displeasure that the emergency ordinance to allow affordable housing projects was being used to allow what is essentially a full-block, market rate building in the Central City to go through the Type IIx design review process, rather than the typical Type III process.
 One stated that this ordinance was based more on “political expediency” versus a “well thought-out policy.”

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 10:37 PM

Riverplace Parcel 3 is being presented to Downtown Neighborhood Association on October 20th.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 7:14 PM

Riverplace Parcel 3 has been submitted for Design Review (using the Type IIx procedure):

Quote:
A 14-story and 6-story two-tower mixed-use structure with retail and amenity space on the first floor, approx 372 units and 180 garage parking spaces.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 5:27 PM

No grocery store for RiverPlace, South Waterfront residents
By Brad Schmidt | The Oregonian/OregonLive
on November 08, 2016 at 7:22 AM

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...ml#incart_2box

Quote:
Developers who claimed they could deliver a full-size grocery store to Portland's South Waterfront area now say they've come up empty-handed after months of trying.

Portland officials selected BRIDGE Housing last year to develop a mixed-use project on city-owned property south of downtown.

As envisioned, the project was to include much-needed affordable housing, market-rate apartments and a large grocery store.

Now, plans for the grocery store have been nixed – and the setback wasn't much of a surprise.

"We tried really hard," Lyn Hikida, BRIDGE's vice president for communications, said Monday.

Hikida said developers couldn't find a grocer willing to move into the project, at 2095 SW River Parkway, in the RiverPlace area. BRIDGE had pitched Portland on a grocery store with about 30,000 square feet.

...(continues)

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 5:45 PM

Oh for crying out loud...

At this rate it'll look like the South Waterfront will never get a grocery store.

Last edited by Derek; Nov 9, 2016 at 2:39 AM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 7:11 PM

For those playing at home this is just confirmation of what we knew to be likely in February:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
It was previously reported that the project would include 30,000 sq ft of retail space and the Early Assistance description mentions a grocery store. It looks like they have half that at most, and yet they are providing retail parking (which is uncommon). I wonder if they're now planning on finding a small format grocery store?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Currently listening to the Design Advice hearing. The applicants mentioned that they were in discussions with a number of full service grocery stores, but the grocery tenants are nervous about competing with the 4th & Harrison store. Right now they're working with Urban Works Real Estate to find a smaller format store. They think that could work well, especially with the extended stay hotel about to open across the street. They didn't mention names, but I could imagine a Green Zebra or the like working well.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 4:02 AM

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 5:00 AM

This looks like the new courthouse building and every other large building currently under construction. It's amazing how tightly Portland clings to cheap design trends, like offset fenestration. It's like 2005 when horizontal wood cladding was MANDATORY on everything built. The city is becoming so generic and bland.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 10:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelBoy View Post
This looks like the new courthouse building and every other large building currently under construction. It's amazing how tightly Portland clings to cheap design trends, like offset fenestration. It's like 2005 when horizontal wood cladding was MANDATORY on everything built. The city is becoming so generic and bland.
Your right

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 7:29 PM

Looks like any hope of this project containing a grocery store is now officially killed.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 8:17 PM

Huge swath of S Downtown without grocery. - S Waterfront / River Place / S Auditorium / PSU. How many people does it take to make a grocery store feasible?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 8:29 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORNative View Post
Huge swath of S Downtown without grocery. - S Waterfront / River Place / S Auditorium / PSU. How many people does it take to make a grocery store feasible?
I've heard between 30-40k.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
thats probably pretty accurate--Tualatin has 27000 and the Freddies serves Sherwood LO and Wilsonville shoppers.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Grocery stores need a market of about 10,000 households before they consider opening a store. Traffic patterns are key as well. The isolation of South Waterfront and Riverplace make it pretty unattractive until enough households live there. However as OHSU puts in more buildings, that day time traffic could make the difference. If there was a way to get folks to pull off Macadam to shop there, then this would be a different circumstance.

New Seasons would be there in a heartbeat if they thought they could make a go of it. The best bet might be Green Zebra but since they are a start-up, they are going to go for more sure bets. And I bet their investors need to approve any new locations.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORNative View Post
Aren't they putting a New Seasons in the Collective (4th and Harrison)? Green Zebra is also opening up a PSU store in February.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 11:53 PM

I don't think that the Collective has announced anything more than interest at this point.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 12:24 AM
Never Dell

A grocery store can live on a small fraction of that. A supermarket however needs a large number. But that's just semantics.

Urban supermarkets are often smaller than suburban ones and can live on fewer people than the normal metrics, especially if per capita spending capacity is relatively high.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 6:46 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Right, come to think of it I think that was the number for a Freddies or something. You can probably look it up online...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 8:42 PM

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 7:11 PM

Riverplace Parcel 3 has been submitted for building permit review:

Quote:
New 13 story Type I concrete high rise apartment building over concrete podium structure with ground floor commercial and daylight basement parking – 2nd 6 story tower permitted under 17-156305-CO

New 6 story 5 over 1 TYpe IIIA and Type I wood apartment over concrete podium structure with ground floor commercial and daylight basement parking – 2nd 6 story tower permitted under 17-156297-CO

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland