HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 10:19 PM

Morguard proposes new hotel, condo at 350 Sparks

OBJ StaffPublished on July 21, 2015

After 18 months of speculation about what will happen to one of Ottawa’s prime downtown real estate properties, developer Morguard says it is proposing to build a new 27-storey hotel and 23-storey condominium tower on the site of the former National Hotel & Suites.

In a proposal recently filed with the city, Morguard said it plans to demolish the two conjoined hotel towers that now sit empty on the west side of the 1.85-acre site as well as an existing three-storey apartment building and replace them with two new buildings.

The existing 12-storey office tower on the east side of the site will remain but will be upgraded.

The proposed new towers at 350 Sparks St., which are being designed by WZMH Architects, would share a common podium, entry plaza and access to 348 underground parking spaces. The podium would also include a retail component.

The proposed hotel, which would be located on the southwest corner of the site at Queen and Bay streets, would include 303 units. The condo tower, which is planned for the northwest portion of the site, would have 250 units.

Morguard said the proposal, which must be approved by city council, has been designed to fit the overall tone of the neighbourhood.

“Views from the Museum of Civilization, Portage Bridge and Confederation Boulevard have not been compromised,” the report, prepared by FOTENN Consultants, said.

“The solid architectural language with the elegantly proportioned window openings of the West Memorial Building and Library Archives Canada inspired the exterior façade articulation of the proposed towers. The towers include a solid lattice layer which wraps the exterior glass skin to create a visual continuity in a contemporary fashion.”

The proposal also includes an open public space on the northwest corner of Sparks and Bay streets. The existing parking garage entry on Queen Street would be demolished and replaced with a pedestrian entry to the existing office tower lobby.

The developer said the project would add “a subtle playfulness to Ottawa’s skyline” while injecting new life into the surrounding area.

“Overall, the proposed development will extend qualities of the Sparks Street liveliness and will promote an enhanced mixed-use environment that is appropriate to the location and its established community,” the report said.

Buildings are currently limited to a height of 64 metres on the western portion of the site. Morguard is seeking a zoning amendment to permit a maximum height of 85 metres for the hotel and 78 metres for the condo tower.

Morguard shut down the National Hotel & Suites in December 2013, saying it wanted to redevelop the property. At the time, Morguard vice-president Bernie Myers said he didn’t know if the site would remain a hotel or be rebuilt for another purpose.

“We’re looking at all options, all scenarios at this stage,” he told OBJ. “Clearly the building certainly was built and has served well as a hotel.”

The 328-room National had been a Delta before being rebranded as an independent hotel in 2012. Morguard’s recent filing with the city does not indicate any affiliation for the proposed new hotel.

Morguard officials were not available for comment on Tuesday morning.

http://www.obj.ca/Local/2015-07-21/a...t-350-Sparks/1

Near the end, the article says "Morguard’s recent filing with the city does not indicate any affiliation for the proposed new hotel." Yes, yes it does. Do you research.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Part of City folklore is that on one of Campeau's buildings (maybe this one?) he made it taller that the original plan. He achieved this on a long weekend by paying his workers extra and getting three more floors added. It was of course noticed, but with City Hall not reopening until the following Tuesday not much could be done. And once built they were not (at least in those days) going to order him to remove those extra floors.

Pretty funny / outrageous if true.
Out of curiosity, what would the penalties be (in today's times) for a developer doing such a thing?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Out of curiosity, what would the penalties be (in today's times) for a developer doing such a thing?
They would for sure force them to remove the floors. There would be a huge uproar if they didn't, especially considering how hard the City has been pressing building height regulations.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 3:50 AM

Well folks, on the bright side, it looks like Diane Holmes can enjoy her retirement for a little bit longer. The sanctity of our uniform and flat Centretown skyline that she laboured for so tenaciously is being preserved, one proposal after another.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 4:00 AM

Hahaha! Reading this discussion makes me think of a close friend who recently flew into Ottawa from Vancouver for the first time in about 20 years. Her only comment upon seeing the city skyline from the plane was " My God! Looks like Ottawa got a buzz cut!"

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Part of City folklore is that on one of Campeau's buildings (maybe this one?) he made it taller that the original plan. He achieved this on a long weekend by paying his workers extra and getting three more floors added. It was of course noticed, but with City Hall not reopening until the following Tuesday not much could be done. And once built they were not (at least in those days) going to order him to remove those extra floors.

Pretty funny / outrageous if true.
Yes, this is the one, and it is just folklore. My mother was employed as his assistant during the 70s and 80s.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movebyleap View Post
Hahaha! Reading this discussion makes me think of a close friend who recently flew into Ottawa from Vancouver for the first time in about 20 years. Her only comment upon seeing the city skyline from the plane was " My God! Looks like Ottawa got a buzz cut!"
Lol!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Well folks, on the bright side, it looks like Diane Holmes can enjoy her retirement for a little bit longer. The sanctity of our uniform and flat Centretown skyline that she laboured for so tenaciously is being preserved, one proposal after another.
Good thing that she's out. But Centretown has no real skyline as it only has a few tall buildings... it ends at Gloucester in the north. I'm one to believe that her constant barking was to satisfy her base, and it became less and less effective with time.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 2:08 PM

I was urious who the designers were, and found that have designed the new CSEC campus, the CN tower, and a very long list of other landmark developments.

See some of their work.

I think something more like WaterPark Place- which is 30 floors- is needed in such a significant place for a landmark, anchoring development in the core.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4d2313d4.jpg

It's contemporary take on Internationalism I think would really compliment Place de Ville. Though that is easily debatable. 30 floors would match the current tallest in the region- Chaudière.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 2:11 PM

McKenney is a lot more level headed about development than Holmes was. It's refreshing.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 2:20 PM

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
I think it's more Neo-modernism.
I think your right. "contemporary internationalism" was me reaching for words.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 2:31 PM

Also doesn't fit the condo / hotel role so much.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 3:00 PM

I have to say I'm very surprised to see these two buildings being torn down... I thought they were sorta nice (different, at least, from the rest of what Ottawa's CBD has to offer.)

I really wish we'd get away from all the flat rooftops! Geez!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 4:18 PM

Another urban legend surrounding Place de Ville was that Campeau built a subway station between phase I and II under Queen Street. I think we can call that one officially busted.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
I have to say I'm very surprised to see these two buildings being torn down... I thought they were sorta nice (different, at least, from the rest of what Ottawa's CBD has to offer.)

I really wish we'd get away from all the flat rooftops! Geez!
Agreed, we need some buildings in the CBD with something interesting to look at up top to get rid of this buzz-cut theme. I would like to see a new tower with an original spire. We don't even have one downtown! I wonder if the NCC height restrictions apply only to the number of floors, or also to a spire. Because a spire will not affect sight lines of the Peace Tower and internationally, the building's height is from the ground level to the top of the spire. Maybe this is a loophole in the NCC height restrictions that a developer can look into?
ie. Building is 27 floors, 85m, but with the spire its 110m, making it a new tallest in the CBD. One of my favourite spires are the ones on the Petronas Towers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petron...091_2000px.jpg

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
Agreed, we need some buildings in the CBD with something interesting to look at up top to get rid of this buzz-cut theme. I would like to see a new tower with an original spire. We don't even have one downtown! I wonder if the NCC height restrictions apply only to the number of floors, or also to a spire. Because a spire will not affect sight lines of the Peace Tower and internationally, the building's height is from the ground level to the top of the spire. Maybe this is a loophole in the NCC height restrictions that a developer can look into?
ie. Building is 27 floors, 85m, but with the spire its 110m, making it a new tallest in the CBD. One of my favourite spires are the ones on the Petronas Towers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petron...091_2000px.jpg
Unless the spire is transparent, yes, it does affect the sight lines.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 3:48 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Updated rendering:

From the UDRP Submission

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 9:21 PM

Nice design, I really like it. And the bonus is that it might actually hide the hideous Place de Ville Tower C.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 11:28 PM
National Capital Region

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa