HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 3:58 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

1125 Cyrville Rd | 19+38m | 6+12f | Proposed

Westrich Pacific Corporation has submitted a site plan control application to construct a multifamily development consisted of 2 buildings with total 354 dwelling units in two phases divided by underground storm water line easement. Phase one (Building A) is a 6-storey building containing 208 units; Phase two (Building B) is 6-12 storeys with 146 units.

Architect: J+S Architect

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0221/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Last edited by rocketphish; Dec 15, 2021 at 2:02 AM. Reason: Improved rendering quality + a new image

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
Thanks! Didnt realize there was already a thread.

On another note its great to see so much interest from developers to build close to cyrville station which is arguably the most useless station at the moment. With all these proposals this station could be well worth the money in a few years.
It would be nice to see the Value Village strip mall and the CANEX site redeveloped, although I suppose CANEX would be unlikely to move.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 6:43 PM

Wow love this project! Redevelopment and much added density around Cyrville. Buildings built up close to sidewalk (making it more urban and less "towers in a park".

I like and appreciate the different design and the blocks and use colour (bonus points for warm orange/rust colour vs. bright blinding neon yellow).

Would love to see more of these types of proposals around St-Laurent, Carling, Merivale, Baseline, etc..

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 10:11 PM

Great proposal. Nice design. No retail

This area is quickly densifying, but remains car dependent due the lack of basic retail amenities. Who's going to do an hour round trip to pharmacies near Blair or St. Laurent? Or walk 500 meters along stroads to Food Basics?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 1:48 AM

people can't walk to the other side of ogilvie to the food basics in the plaza? You can even go through the park if the parking lot is not urbanist enough. There's also a dollar store, weed store and a huge specialty grocery store all within a 10 minute walk via google maps.

That has to be approaching basic retail amenities

if people are willing to cross st laurent there's even multiple pharmacies

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postingaboutottawa View Post
people can't walk to the other side of ogilvie to the food basics in the plaza? You can even go through the park if the parking lot is not urbanist enough. There's also a dollar store, weed store and a huge specialty grocery store all within a 10 minute walk via google maps.

That has to be approaching basic retail amenities

if people are willing to cross st laurent there's even multiple pharmacies
Still 500+ meters, and along pedestrian hostile environments.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 3:15 PM

okay but that's different then saying the area is lacking basic amenities to say "there are amenities but they require crossing a four lane at some lights and walking 500 meters". Maybe there are mobility issues which might complicate that but for an able bodied person they might have to just suck it up. If walking down the wide sidewalk on the edge of a parking lot is too hostile they can always take the mup behind the plaza.

It would be nice if there was a retail component to this development especially given the high density next door but it might be more in fact that for main chain tenants st laurent is right there. A coffee shop would be nice given that one is currently being replaced by the development.

Last edited by postingaboutottawa; Dec 16, 2021 at 2:34 AM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 10:55 PM

I might be wrong but I believe the coffee shop won't be affected by this project.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
Really great looking new proposal on Cyrville road close to the Otrain station.
Who ever can create new post, do your magic

https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0147/details
Thank you. I've walked by a few times and watched them clear the lot and install new fencing months ago. Was wondering what was coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald's Racoon View Post
I might be wrong but I believe the coffee shop won't be affected by this project.
Not at all.

They got in at the right time. Literally thousands of units coming online in the next 5 years within a 200m radius of their front door.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Great proposal. Nice design. No retail

This area is quickly densifying, but remains car dependent due the lack of basic retail amenities. Who's going to do an hour round trip to pharmacies near Blair or St. Laurent? Or walk 500 meters along stroads to Food Basics?
It's not a great walk, but it can be done. And it will get better. Indeed, there's development across the street from this one with zero resident parking being built. So there's so least some developers who think there's no need to have parking to sell units in this area.

There's still so many sites that can be redeveloped along Cyrville. Retail will come in due course. Probably at sites closer to the train station.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
It's not a great walk, but it can be done.
There is a big difference between what can be done and what will be done.

Quote:
And it will get better.
Will it? How so?

Quote:
Indeed, there's development across the street from this one with zero resident parking being built. So there's so least some developers who think there's no need to have parking to sell units in this area.
Interesting. Which development is that?

Quote:
There's still so many sites that can be redeveloped along Cyrville. Retail will come in due course. Probably at sites closer to the train station.
Possibly, but I wouldn't count on it. The city doesn't have a lot of control over what gets built where, other than by setting the zoning, and as long as the development fits within the zoning, there isn't a lot the city can do other than suggest that the developer make some modifications. They can zone land 100% commercial or 100% residential, but as soon as it is zoned for mixed use, the city's authority gets weak and it then comes down to whatever will make the developer the most money.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 4:09 PM

Ideally, your retail amenities would be near the transit station, so that access would be part of day to day commuting etc. A 500m walk to a grocery store is far from ideal. That is a long walk carrying grocery bags. To get away from the usual massive weekly grocery order requiring a car, it needs to be possible to pick up a few items every day or two, and that needs to be on the way from other routine activities. This is when 15 minute communities truly become successful. The local grocery store, drug store, coffee shop, pizzeria, etc. all conveniently located for pedestrians. 15 minutes is really the max. and we should be aiming for much less than 15 minutes for most people in the community.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 5:12 PM

I don't think the area is adequate as a "15 minute neighborhood" but the path forward is realistically improving pedestrian connections to st laurent with a new crossing and to the path through ogilvie north park instead of a new retail destination next to cyrville station. Other neighborhoods have the pedestrian orientation but their full service grocery store is 500m-1km away; each has a path of least resistance for improvement even if will not be 'ideal'

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
A 500m walk to a grocery store is far from ideal. That is a long walk carrying grocery bags.
I live more than that away from 3 stores, 850m, 1000 (now 1.1 with Covid entrance), and 1250m. Until Covid and the guidance to only shop once a week, we bought the majority of our groceries and brought them home in backpacks. We'd shop 3 - 5 times a week, it was part of our daily walk. That includes 8L of milk at a time, or buying 1 - 2 bottles of soda. I'll admit we do not carry cases of canned drinks home, those are picked up when we are out driving for another reason. And there used to be a monthly Costco trip which is now a biweekly trip since we got into the habit of alternating, one week local price matching, one week Costco groceries, during the lockdowns.

You are right, we could not take home a week's worth of groceries even in a backpack, so during Covid I was driving 1 km to get groceries and feeling pretty sick about that. I really missed our almost daily walk with a purpose, as opposed to wandering around but doing nothing.

We have a car but car sharing can be used monthly for the super heavy stuff. Or just use a shopping pull behind/push cart. We have one but found it was easier to just use the backpacks. Lots of older people here use the carts instead.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Interesting. Which development is that?
1082 Cyrville Rd + 1155 Joseph Cyr St: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...light=cyrville

(It does have 6 visitor spaces)

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidetrackedSue View Post
I live more than that away from 3 stores, 850m, 1000 (now 1.1 with Covid entrance), and 1250m. Until Covid and the guidance to only shop once a week, we bought the majority of our groceries and brought them home in backpacks. We'd shop 3 - 5 times a week, it was part of our daily walk. That includes 8L of milk at a time, or buying 1 - 2 bottles of soda. I'll admit we do not carry cases of canned drinks home, those are picked up when we are out driving for another reason. And there used to be a monthly Costco trip which is now a biweekly trip since we got into the habit of alternating, one week local price matching, one week Costco groceries, during the lockdowns.
It's an issue of time too. If a walk to the grocery store + shopping will take someone between half an hour and an hour, and that person has kids at home or works two jobs, that trip starts to look mighty daunting. I used to walk to Hartman's from the west side of downtown and the round trip was usually around 45 minutes to an hour. It's a big chunk of time.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidetrackedSue View Post

You are right, we could not take home a week's worth of groceries even in a backpack, so during Covid I was driving 1 km to get groceries and feeling pretty sick about that. I really missed our almost daily walk with a purpose, as opposed to wandering around but doing nothing.

We have a car but car sharing can be used monthly for the super heavy stuff. Or just use a shopping pull behind/push cart. We have one but found it was easier to just use the backpacks. Lots of older people here use the carts instead.
What you do is admirable.

Carts are not a perfect solution with the condition of our sidewalks in winter.

Ultimately, we need to increase convenience for pedestrians substantially. It should not be necessary to walk 500 m to 1 km for daily needs.

Part of the problem is the proliferation of 'super stores'. Yes, you get a bigger selection but they need to serve huge areas that is not supportive of 15 minute neighbourhoods. The Farm Boy model is better scaled for neighbourhoods but I understand how Farm Boy pricing can be higher than other stores.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 3:11 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Yeah, what is it with these asinine store door closures with COVID? Are we getting less COVID because we're all being funneled through fewer doors? I think it's both lazy and an aggressive anti-pedestrian move by stores to close doors that are more convenient to pedestrians with the excuse of COVID and stores who do this should get customer emails saying so.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Ideally, your retail amenities would be near the transit station, so that access would be part of day to day commuting etc. A 500m walk to a grocery store is far from ideal. That is a long walk carrying grocery bags. To get away from the usual massive weekly grocery order requiring a car, it needs to be possible to pick up a few items every day or two, and that needs to be on the way from other routine activities. This is when 15 minute communities truly become successful. The local grocery store, drug store, coffee shop, pizzeria, etc. all conveniently located for pedestrians. 15 minutes is really the max. and we should be aiming for much less than 15 minutes for most people in the community.
Cyrville ain't pretty. But it's damn closer to a 15 min neighbourhood than a whole lot of this city, including most of what's inside the Greenbelt. Most notably because of everything around Ogilvie and Saint Laurent, including the mall. It's about 600m walking to the Mall, which has everything but groceries. It's 500m to Food Basics

That 500m is a 7 min walk. There's places downtown that don't have a grocery store that close. It's very decent. In the Summer, it's not unusual (though rare) to see people walk from Place Des Gouverneurs to Food Basics with a backpack or a small grocery cart. It's double the distance. At 500m, it's easy to simply backpack a small haul of groceries.

What's needed is a grocery store near the station so that residents can shop on the way home. The Food Basics and Adonis are in the opposite direction. If I lived here and commuted by transit, I might actually choose to shop at Loblaws at Blair instead. Just stay on the train and get off at Blair and then get back on and off at Cyrville. Lower effort grocery detour.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
1082 Cyrville Rd + 1155 Joseph Cyr St: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...light=cyrville

(It does have 6 visitor spaces)
Shared between 116 residential units and a ground floor commercial unit. That's really not a lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa