HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 4:03 PM

Danny Davis could be in the mix. He was mulling a run for Cook County Board President for a while. I think he could be rather formidable candidate since he could lock up the black vote, but do pretty well at appealing to white voters too. I would prefer someone else, though, since he's just as old as Daley.

And speaking of the Cook County Board, soon we will have neither a Stroger or a Daley in power.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 4:10 PM

Last edited by Loopy; Oct 30, 2012 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 4:41 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBear24 View Post
Rahm Emanuel's track record doesn't impress me at all. Yeah, he has that tough chicago guy thing going on, but he comes from the same cloth as all these other machine guys that have presided over a budget nightmare and a special interest catering that draws laughter from people in other states. Whoever is in power has to work fluidly with springfield, and in particular, a governor who hopefully isn't worthless like quinn or a crook like blago/ryan/many others.
^ One of the reasons why I'd favor Rahm Emanuel as mayor is because he is a figure of national significance with strong Washington connections.

I think that's important in an era in which cities and states have to compete like dogs to procure Federal money. Many of these other figures that are being mentioned in this thread may very well be good candidates, but I have hardly heard of any of them.

A man like Daley got the President and his wife to travel to Copenhagen to pitch Chicago's Olympic bid. Former Pres. George W Bush spent his 60th birthday with Daley.

Can Forrest Claypool, Danny Davis, Bob Fioretti, etc etc ever come anywhere near to such a level of influence and clout?

I doubt it. I think Chicago benefits from a powerful machine-type Mayor, even if it draws criticism and laughter. Let them laugh. But bring home the money!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 5:06 PM
devout Pizzatarian

does anyone think that rahm's jewish faith could be a potential liability in catholic/christian chicago? 50 years ago it would have automatically disqualified him, and i wonder if this city has come far enough with regards to religion, and how it is tied with identity in many of chicago's older ethnic hoods, to make it a non-issue. is our city officially done with that chapter where religion played such a big role? any thoughts?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ i watched the entire hour last night of "chicago tonight" dedicated to the mayor's announcement and most, if not all, of the guests on the various panels agreed that the aftermath of the blago trial and the tarnishing of J.J. jr.'s image are going to make it a lot harder for him to build the necessary political coalition to get to the 5th floor of city hall. blago has become political kryptonite, and the closer one is associated with him, the weaker they are these days.
I don't think that's fair. He did the right thing in telling. But some people don't see that. even here in toronto my parents call JJ Jr a snitch for what happened to Rod.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 5:14 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1 View Post
I don't think that's fair.
who said politics is fair? so much of the game is perception, and guilt by association is very much at play in the mind of joe six-pack voter.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 5:14 PM
The City

Quote:
does anyone think that rahm's jewish faith could be a potential liability in catholic/christian chicago? 50 years ago it would have automatically disqualified him, and i wonder if this city has come far enough with regards to religion, and how it is tied with identity in many of chicago's older ethnic hoods, to make it a non-issue. is our city officially done with that chapter where religion played such a big role? any thoughts?
^ I would definitely say being Jewish won't be an issue.

I think America has come a long, long way since then.

Obviously, there are still issues in Chicago (ie the recent fiasco with a person accused of not selling his house in Bridgeport to an African American) but I believe the issues in Chicago still tend to be more race-related (white vs. black) than religious (Catholic/Christian vs. Jewish).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 5:30 PM

Second city cop.com is fucking awful

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?bl...47757758601808

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 5:43 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Too bad. I actually have been warming up to Reilly.
I will NEVER warm up to Reilly until his goddamn office actually returns phone calls.

His staff is COMPLETELY incompetent with every issue my condo board has tried to get assistence from them on, and their lack of movement is costing my association on the order of $15,000/year.

So Reilly, as far as I'm concerned, is an incompetent thief.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 5:54 PM

Last edited by Loopy; Oct 30, 2012 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Those poor guys just lost their whole Raison d'être.
They should allow cops to live outside the city. Not because of movement rights or whatever, because I don't want negative people like around me.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 6:34 PM
BANNED

I don't think Rahm being Jewish will have much of an effect. If anything it might be helpful with the large Jewish communities in some neighborhoods. It think him being extremely white will be far more detrimental. I wonder if anyone with Latino, Asian, or India/Pak heritage will throw their hat in the ring? I could see Richard Rodriguez (Current CTA Dood) eventually making a fine mayor if he develops his career correctly.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 7:19 PM

An italian mayor would be awesome.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 7:23 PM

If all these cops know whats best why the fuck doesn't one of them run.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1 View Post
An italian mayor would be awesome.
Why, because you're Italian?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 7:43 PM

Quote:
He'll be fine because he has such close ties to the waspy North Shore. He's a New Trier grad and that pretty much trumps any religious affiliation out there. His reputation is that of being intelligent.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 7:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ that's great and all for Rahm, but people on the waspy north shore do not possess the right to cast a vote in mayoral elections. city elections are won and lost in the city, not new trier township.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Why, because you're Italian?
No I just think it would be cool.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 7:52 PM

What about Daley's kid?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 9:15 PM

Quote:
I'm sure it'll be an issue for some groups, but I'd imagine he'd carry obama's stamp of approval which would likely well outweigh any votes he'd lose because of his faith.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest