HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

View Poll Results: Who are you going to vote for this fall?
The Incumbent: Anne Marie de Cicco-Best 0 0%
The Challenger: Joe Fontana 11 64.71%
Neither: Mayor McCheese 2 11.76%
I won't vote 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 1:46 AM

Cliff Barwick, Mayor of St. Thomas and Michael Harding, Mayor of Woodstock have both been defeated.

Could the same happen in London? Stay tuned!

By the way...anyone watching on Rogers Cable 13 notice that some of the AM980 reporters are great radio voices but aren't TV material at all?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 2:12 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^yep. Watching right now. Fontana is doing much better than I expected...could change come to London? Is that possible in status-quo-ville?

In my ward (7) the challenger Matt Brown is kicking the shit out of the incumbent, Walt Lonc.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 2:29 AM
User Registered

Talk about a close race:

Results tabulated Monday, October 25, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Anne Marie DECICCO-BEST: 11,843 (46.0% )

Joe FONTANA: 11,816 (45.9%)

Just 27 votes separate the two. This is by far the closest race in Ontario. Everyone thought Toronto was going to be the tightest but Ford knew he won after 8 minutes lol

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 2:31 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Matt Brown pronounced winner for ward 7. buh bye Walt.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 2:34 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Fontana in the lead!!!!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 2:36 AM
User Registered

Giant Douche or Turd Sandwich?

(Great South Park quote.)

Yep, Joe's currently ahead by 38 votes. amazing lol.

EDIT: Now he's running away with it with a 221 vote lead. Still way to close to call.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Fontana in the lead!!!!
Ward 9 is extremely close - Henderson is closing in on Barber. It's hard to say if all four of the Killer B's will get re-elected.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 2:44 AM
The Vomit Bag.

the gap is widening...for Fontana. This is unexpected, but very welcome!!!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 4:26 AM
User Registered

A Channel now predicts that Fontana will be London's new mayor.

As of the time of this post, unoffical results show him with about 1,500 more votes than DeCicco.

Still there's more than 200 more polls to report and anything could happen.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 4:44 AM

Fontana's up now about 1500 on DeCicco-Best.

Not sure if I like Fontana as much as DeCicco, but with her, the staleness factor was slowly creeping up - and so London needed a kick in its pants to keep on trucking, and to get that little bit of pride back in its system.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 5:15 AM
User Registered

Meh, the mayor is mostly a sock puppet anyway. Without support from council, things like his tax freeze can't happen.

De-Cicco was London's longest serving mayor. Guess a lot of people felt it was time for a change. This mostly goes against all that anti-incumbency stuff you're seeing elsewhere in the province. She's simply been there too long.

If Fontana didn't run this election I would have seen Eric Southern as her main opponent.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 1:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Watching the election last night, there was one point in which AMdeC-B said "at the end of the day" 5 times in two sentences (this was during an interview with one of those Rogers/AM980 reporters, around 1045pm).

"at the end of the day....shows how hard we've worked....confident that at the end of the day....and after the people had a chance to speak, at the end of the day.....testimony to how hard we work up at city hall....at the end of the day, voters won't hold us accountable for job losses...giving it 110% effort"

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 1:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Here are the unoffical results for Mayor (and for Ward 7, where I live):

http://www.london.ca/elections/results/allcounts.htm

Mayor Candidate(1 to be elected) 900 of 900 polls returned
# of Votes, % of Counted Votes

Joe FONTANA 48626 47.2
Anne Marie DECICCO-BEST 46089 44.8
Cynthia ETHERIDGE 4402 4.3
Eric SOUTHERN 644 0.6
Ivan W. KASIURAK 612 0.6
Christopher R. FOERSTER 462 0.4
Aaron BROUGHM 427 0.4
Raymond FORD 375 0.4
Zak YOUNG 298 0.3
Stephen Elliott BECKLES 252 0.2
Tomaszhole WINNICKI 234 0.2
Dan LENART 173 0.2
Tom HA 149 0.1
Ma'in SINAN 128 0.1
Jonas Richard WHITE 83 0.1

Councillor Ward 7 Candidate
(1 to be elected) 63 of 63 polls returned
# of Votes, % of Counted Votes
Matt BROWN 4976 58.2
Walter LONC 1818 21.2
Phil MCLEOD 1455 17.0
Justin SAMLAL 307 3.6

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 1:09 PM

Three of the four Killer B's were re-elected. Gina Barber did not make it, getting beated by anti-transit activist Dale Henderson in Ward 9. Thankfully Harold Usher got re-elected, proclaiming last night that big improvements are needed to London Transit including BRT. I can see him and Henderson getting into some arguments at the horseshoe.

I was glad to see Paul Hubert re-elected in Ward 10, although my family has known Martha Joyce for years and it would've been nice to see her back on council.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 1:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../15829341.html

Quote:
Joe roars back
By Pat Maloney The London Free Press

In an election-night shocker, ex-MP Joe Fontana declared himself London mayor in a remarkable comeback that could flip City Hall on its ear.

Four years after losing by 22,000 votes to Anne Marie DeCicco-Best, Fontana rode a pledge to freeze taxes and slash bureaucracy to overtake her and appeared poised to upset the longest-serving mayor in city history.

The difference for city hall, council and taxpayers could be remarkable — with Fontana having pledged several times that civic jobs will be cut as he slashes spending and vows to hold the line on taxes for the next four years.

“I had a big hill to climb, with 12 points behind when we thought we were eight or six points behind. People started to get more engaged and aware — this was a wave that was coming a long way away,” Fontana said as his late lead started to widen.

“Now’s our time to put away personal agendas and do the people’s business. All 15 of us are going to have a lot of work to do.”

Shortly after midnight, Fontana declared himself the winner, and DeCicco-Best was heading to Fontana’s camp to concede defeat.

[...]

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 2:31 PM

With Anne-Marie saying she won't be running for mayor again, I wonder if she'll go back into broadcasting.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 1:01 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^LFP speculates she may enter federal or provincial politics.

Hopefully that horrid patio on Richmond will soon come down.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 2:49 PM

Looking at Facebook I'm amazed how many people are pissed off that Anne-Marie lost to Fontana. Guess none of them have financially struggled after paying $5000+ in property taxes last year. I have heard stories of working homeowners in London unable to save any money or go on vacation because of her tax increases. Several have talked about moving to a nearby municipality such as Middlesex Centre or St. Thomas.

The tax increases, combined with McGuinty's HST and other tax grabs, have widened the gap between rich and poor in this city. There is no shortage of very wealthy families in London that can easily afford Anne-Marie's tax program.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 4:47 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^it's so she can continue to pay for "the best and the brightest"..."at the end of the day"

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Looking at Facebook I'm amazed how many people are pissed off that Anne-Marie lost to Fontana. Guess none of them have financially struggled after paying $5000+ in property taxes last year. I have heard stories of working homeowners in London unable to save any money or go on vacation because of her tax increases. Several have talked about moving to a nearby municipality such as Middlesex Centre or St. Thomas.

The tax increases, combined with McGuinty's HST and other tax grabs, have widened the gap between rich and poor in this city. There is no shortage of very wealthy families in London that can easily afford Anne-Marie's tax program.
HER tax increases?

Utter gross ignorance on your part. You have no idea what you are talking about. Really.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy