HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Rockets win 2-0 last night to take a 3-0 stanglehold on the series. They absolutely have dominated the Hitmen this series. Very impressive to watch.
Did the Rockets actually dominate play though? I thought the Hitmen have played pretty well, and could just as easily be up 3 - 1 instead of down 3-1

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 6:31 PM

Here's hoping the Hitmen can ring off another 3 wins, would be good to have another Championship in the city.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 7:20 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
Did the Rockets actually dominate play though? I thought the Hitmen have played pretty well, and could just as easily be up 3 - 1 instead of down 3-1
In my opinion, yes they have dominated the series thus far. Yes the Hitmen did have some rust from the long layoff but Kelowna has been absolutely ferocious in their forechecking and backchecking. Every time a Hitman gets the puck there is a Rocket right in their face, not allowing them to get anythign going. Last night was a little different.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 5:22 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Wow, the Hitmen might as well have been the only team on the ice tonight. Backlund had a nice breakaway but didn't score - but wow, is that kid talented. He's clearly playing well above the WHL right now. This should sure help his confidence, although the transition to the NHL will be rough.

Game 7 at the 'Dome would be nice.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I'd just as soon have Backlund get some great experience. If this kid isn't a starter in October then I'll be giving up in the Flames.
Good to see Backlund get as much opportunity to develop, but I don't know if we'll see him full-time with the Flames next season. We're fairly set at centre, especially on the top 2 lines. Not sure if Backlund is cut out for 3rd or 4th line duty in the NHL at this point. So that leaves two possibilities, injury fill-in (hope not) or switch him to the wing. At any rate, I'd say that, barring disaster, he'll be a fixture in a couple years. Next year though, I wouldn't be surprised to see him play in the AHL and be an injury call-up.

----------

Back on topic, Hitmen with a convincing win tonight bring the series to 3-2.

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 3:41 PM
Watchin em grow

Heres hoping that the Hitmen can carry mo into Kelowna and bring the series back home for the closing game. The commentators yesterday were commenting on how tired the Kelowna players are looking compared the the Hitmen. They have had 2 series go 7 games prior to this one and both were quite physical. That and their top player Jamie Benn being out.

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 5:42 PM

Well, congrats to the Rockets, the hitmen put up a good fight, but Kelowna was just too good in that last series. I think Calgary started to get a little cocky after winning 12 straight games.

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 4:08 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Good to see Backlund get as much opportunity to develop, but I don't know if we'll see him full-time with the Flames next season. We're fairly set at centre, especially on the top 2 lines.
Err, beyond Langkow, I'd say the kid has a hell of a good chance to break in this year. Conroy is rapidly aging out of a top 6 spot, and Jokinen.. well, I've been asking for 2 months to be proven wrong about him.

This team's been struggling at centre for years, and I don't see anything really changed at this point. An up-and-coming youngster who actually TRIES every night should easily be able to set himself up.

Man, this is a brutal year for hockey. Flames gone in April, Hitmen done prematurely. And the NHL in general looks to be a big snoozefest in the coming rounds. Hooray, maybe we'll see Detroit vs Carolina in the final.

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 4:15 PM

Quote:

Man, this is a brutal year for hockey. Flames gone in April, Hitmen done prematurely. And the NHL in general looks to be a big snoozefest in the coming rounds. Hooray, maybe we'll see Detroit vs Carolina in the final.
It all depends on how you look at it. The flames were a disappointment, but at least they made the playoffs. At the beginning of last year the Edmonton media practically had them winning the cup. And for the Hitmen, well, don't forget it was supposed to be a rebuilding year, and making it to the WHL final is pretty darn good. They had a good run.

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 6:08 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Fair enough. I just want one more year like '04, where there's something to cheer past Victoria Day.

Heck, I'd root for the Canucks but I think they're done.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 1:06 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

New RBK Edge jersey's were revealed today across the CHL. Here's Calgary's:

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 4:06 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

On the white jersey, is that the logo they used on the grey (what was it, 10th anniversary?) ones a few years back ('05 I think)?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 4:12 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

^yeah, it was the logo they used on the 3rd jersey for the last couple years.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 3:38 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Enough with the removal of bottom stripes! Old jerseys were much better. These look too much like practice jerseys.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 4:31 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Hitmen and Tigers in OT right now. I really should watch this league more often, it's some of the best hockey out there.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 4:41 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

And just as the Flames did not long ago, the Hitmen are going to a shootout.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 3:52 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Err, beyond Langkow, I'd say the kid has a hell of a good chance to break in this year. Conroy is rapidly aging out of a top 6 spot, and Jokinen.. well, I've been asking for 2 months to be proven wrong about him.
Heh. Watching Conroy slow down so much this year, and Jokinen having a whopping 2 goals and 9 points in 17 games...

I love seeing old comments come back to haunt me.

Jokinen's so bad this year that his shooting percentage is the lowest on the team, except for a couple of defensive defencemen, and Conroy.

Pleasant surprises from a bunch of developing kids though. Boyd especially I could see being a solid 2nd line Centre if he played with the right guys. Well, and we stopped insisting that Jokinen has any talent.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 3:10 PM

Calgary Hitmen

With the Flames poised to dust off their golf clubs, we need some other focus on playoff hockey. The Hitmen looked like they were going to be first round fodder, down 3-1 to the Moose Jaw Warriors, but came back to win that series, and now have a 2-0 lead over the Medicine Hat Tigers.

The first two games of this series, they have outscored the Tigers 9-2, and have held the Tigers who were the league's top scoring team, to 39 shots total in the first two games.

Go Hitmen!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 5:37 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
The Hitmen looked overconfident in the first round and it almost cost them. Now they have their shit together and look to be on a roll. Next round vs Brandon will be very interesting, if both teams win their series which seems likely at the moment.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 7:58 PM

With Brandon being the hosts, they don't have to try really hard. If Brandon and Calgary meet up with Brandon winning, then the western conference winner gets an automatic in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation