HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 4:05 AM

Eeeks! Sorry to hear about that! I don't know what the weather was like out in Winnipeg but in Calgary all the way west to Vancouver it was absolutely miserable and blizzardy, etc. I bet the reason why it took so long to get you home is because flights here were cancelled due to runway conditions. Being unable to take off from here would have caused the cancellations out of Vegas. Your plane that was supposed to pick you up most likely didn't originate in Winnipeg but one of the snowed in cities. Hope you are safe and sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander
Wow. Good post. Now can you tell me why Westjet took 2.5 days to get me home from Vegas when the flight was cancelled Sunday night!! My boss would like an explanation.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 8:11 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander
Wow. Good post. Now can you tell me why Westjet took 2.5 days to get me home from Vegas when the flight was cancelled Sunday night!! My boss would like an explanation.
Dunno about the rest of you folks, but I'd never turn my nose up at an unexpected extra 2.5 days in Vegas.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed
Dunno about the rest of you folks, but I'd never turn my nose up at an unexpected extra 2.5 days in Vegas.
True enough. It turned out to be a blast but it was pretty tough calling my boss and telling him that the next flight out was 2.5 days later - especially since it's my last week of work (I start a new job on Monday).

The plane never left Vancouver, and of course they don't replace it so with only a couple of flights out of Vegas every day Westjet took over two days to get everybody home. My buddy going back to Vancouver with Air Canada got out Monday morning.

And Westjet doesn't offer compensation for weather related delays, even if it takes over two days to get home. Got to spend some quality time in the Calgary airport though. The Tim Horton's is thankfully 24 hours.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 3:37 AM
Mooderator

Stevenson International sounds sexier than Winnipeg International, IMO.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 3:58 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

I like the name Stevenson Field, especially because it pays homage to a local aviation pioneer. Many Canadian's simply don't understand how important a place Winnipeg was in flight's eary days.

What's more remarkable is how imaginative and progressive our city was. Think about it, our forefathers built an airport at a time when most people didn't even own an automobile. Winnipeg definitely had its eyes on the future back then.

I wish our current leaders were so foreward thinking.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Dec 2, 2006 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 6:36 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely..
I like the name Stevenson Field, especially because it pays homage to a local aviation pioneer. Many Canadian's simply don't understand how important a place Winnipeg was in flight's eary days.

What's more remarkable is how imaginative and progressive our city was. Think about it, our forefathers built an airport at a time when most people didn't even own an automobile. Winnipeg definitely had its eyes on the future back then.
The Richardson family (specifically James) was a huge part in the development of this industry in Winnipeg (and Western Canada) as well.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 7:08 AM
Movin' on up

sigh............. all this talk of how great Winnipeg was in the past is kinda depressing. I'm still believing that will eventually change, but the real question is when. I'm getting impatient. Winnipeg, it's time to crack the whip

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 4:50 AM
the first stamp is free

...prophetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The Richardson family (specifically James) was a huge part in the development of this industry in Winnipeg (and Western Canada) as well.
Quote:
Airport to be named James A. Richardson In honour of airline pioneer
I like the name. Gives credit where credit's due - in this town for sure.

Last edited by drew; Dec 11, 2006 at 4:56 AM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 6:32 AM
Capitalist

I wonder if it will be shortened to J.A.R ... like J.F.K ... just a thought that came to mind.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 6:36 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
It is one of five airports in Canada designated under the federal government's International Cargo Transshipment Program.
Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal & Vancouver .... what is the fifth city?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 1:26 AM

and their goes the Delta flight...
last arrival is tonight the 2nd and last departure is tomorrow the 3rd
Expected return date: unknown

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 8:12 AM
surely you agree with me

it is pretty cool to see winnipeg in a list of world cities on caesar pelli's web site....only a handful of buildings have ever been constructed in canada designed by one of the world's most famous international architects.

that fact seems to be lost in talk of this project....there are not many more prominent designers in the world.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 12:17 AM
Community Guy

Winnipeg....keep pushing, keep writing, keep telling people to fly YWG 1st....

Edmonton has preached this for 5yrs or so now and as of today we landed a direct Frankfurt nonstop too.

it can be done...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 2:57 AM
Movin' on up

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx
Winnipeg....keep pushing, keep writing, keep telling people to fly YWG 1st....

Edmonton has preached this for 5yrs or so now and as of today we landed a direct Frankfurt nonstop too.

it can be done...
Good Lord, I'm hoping that Winnipeg gets its shit together so it can land a few more international destinations. I'm sick and tired of watching other cities move forward while we sit back in the dust. Sorry, I'm very frustrated and a little jealous right now.

(congrats to Edmonton for WANTING AND ACTIVELY SEEKING international flight service)

Last edited by Greco Roman; Dec 5, 2006 at 3:08 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 3:34 PM
What could go wrong?

The hotel is getting an addition to the north, duplicating the same height as the existing building. This will bring it closer to the new terminal but i am not sure if it will be connected by an indoor link. I suppose it could have one through the new parkade. Im sure they have thought of this.

By the way - apparently this hotel is hugely successful.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 4:06 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Just a comment, every time I've been seriously delayed on a Westjet flight (very few, mind you) I've been reimbursed somehow. Several times the entire flight fare was credited.

Maybe I've been lucky and only ever encountered non-weather delays? Either way, I've never had anything but good luck flying with Westjet. I think I've already done my AC rant here, so I won't repeat how much I wish they'd just disappear from the skies

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 5:18 AM
Capitalist

The hotel expansion at the airport is very good news. I knew it was doing very well, but this expansion is evidance of it. I am still waiting for some type of business centre to be announced at the airport. I figure it will only be a matter of time with this all this development and expansion. I think this airport is large enough to support such a centre.

I also suspect they will construct an indoor link to the new terminal once every thing is built.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 5:48 AM
Movin' on up

Don't forget; this is just Phase I; more expansions are planned for the futur

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 6:42 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy
Don't forget; this is just Phase I; more expansions are planned for the futur
yep

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 7:47 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed
I've never had anything but good luck flying with Westjet. I think I've already done my AC rant here, so I won't repeat how much I wish they'd just disappear from the skies
Amen. The service on Air Canada leaves a lot to be desired to say the least.

According to the good folks at Urban Dictionary..

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=Air+Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
Air Canada 36 thumbs up

Canada's national airline, previously known as Trans-Canada Airlines. Originally government owned, subsequently privatized in the late eighties and early nineties. Took over Canada's other major airline, Canadian Airlines, in 2000. For a few years, a combination of minimal competition within Canada and bad times for airlines in general led most Canadians to hate Air Canada (with some justification, as service tended to be poor and fares expensive where there was no competition). The subsequent emergence of Westjet as a competitor within Canada and improving revenue has meant that things have improved a bit in recent years. Air Canada has a regional affiliate, Jazz, that flies smaller aircraft on more lightly travelled routes.

Also known as:

Air Cannibal
Air Cannibis
Air Can't...uh...duh
Air Chaos
Air Crappy
Always Crappy
Err Canada
Mapleflot
Scare Canada
Trash Can

Used in a sentence:
I'm flying Air Canada to Winnipeg next week.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan