HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 6:32 PM
inner city

R.I.P. occupants in 160 George on the southeast corner of the building in the bottom 11 floors. I hope y'all don't like natural light or having anything to look at out your windows.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 6:38 PM

It's not horrible but definitely would have been better slimmer and taller.

The ground floor shows promise though; the floor plan shows a bar/lounge area fronting onto the Waller Mall. There's a fantastic opportunity to animate the mall with a patio.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 9:30 PM

So basically the master community design plan just doesn't get referenced by anyone, because it doesn't get enforced by anyone?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 6:24 PM

Demolition is ongoing. The remainder of the existing buildings on the site went down today.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
R.I.P. occupants in 160 George on the southeast corner of the building in the bottom 11 floors. I hope y'all don't like natural light or having anything to look at out your windows.
Why bottom 11? It's 24 stories no? I assume of similar height to 160 George. I was on Realtor.ca and thought of this post. 4 penthouse units for sale in 160 George right now ( I assume but don't know that's all of them). Not sure who buys something like that without checking building plans around but I guess they can try to get rid of them advertising the great views. Actually 160 George is likely to be surrounded more or less on all sides though this project will be the biggest impact by far to the South facing units. I guess they move forward to this assuming by the time they finish hotels are back in business?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 1:51 PM
inner city

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Why bottom 11? It's 24 stories no? I assume of similar height to 160 George. I was on Realtor.ca and thought of this post. 4 penthouse units for sale in 160 George right now ( I assume but don't know that's all of them). Not sure who buys something like that without checking building plans around but I guess they can try to get rid of them advertising the great views. Actually 160 George is likely to be surrounded more or less on all sides though this project will be the biggest impact by far to the South facing units. I guess they move forward to this assuming by the time they finish hotels are back in business?
It's a tedious explanation to read, but:
The existing building 225 Rideau is 11 storeys, and within very close distance of 160 George to the southeast. I have been in one of the low floor southeast units: great place to live for someone who likes their blinds closed and lights on all the time. The sliver of airspace between that 225 Rideau and this proposed Marriot will present a wall of Claridge Plaza fugliness. At least the southwest units will still have some decent light coming in their western windows (not sure if you know, but the units in 160 George are all corner units with at least two directions of views). 160 George will be very far from surrounded and still have lots to look at on the north/northwest sides, though, even after Claridge puts up some more cheap boxes on Dalhousie, however.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
It's a tedious explanation to read, but:
The existing building 225 Rideau is 11 storeys, and within very close distance of 160 George to the southeast. I have been in one of the low floor southeast units: great place to live for someone who likes their blinds closed and lights on all the time. The sliver of airspace between that 225 Rideau and this proposed Marriot will present a wall of Claridge Plaza fugliness. At least the southwest units will still have some decent light coming in their western windows (not sure if you know, but the units in 160 George are all corner units with at least two directions of views). 160 George will be very far from surrounded and still have lots to look at on the north/northwest sides, though, even after Claridge puts up some more cheap boxes on Dalhousie, however.
Interesting and makes sense now though one of your two views blocked is still substantial. I would assume Trudel Hardware is also not long for this life. I am not in anyway against this development especially on Rideau. I just thought it was interesting when I saw four penthouse units for sale.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 7:13 PM

They've fenced off the site and started digging.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 7:54 PM

Glad it wasn't cancelled due to Covid. The area needs it.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 2:17 PM

Update on this one from the developer during the 126 York consultation.

Contractor has been selected and staging area is being set-up across the street behind the Major Building parking lot.

Here are a detailed few renderings I found. I see the similarities with the AC in Montreal, just a simplified version.

https://www.hospitalitynet.org/annou...el-ottawa.html

http://rimapdevelopment.com/en/projects/

More on the project on Marriott's website:

https://news.marriott.com/news/2019/...rand-to-ottawa

Last edited by J.OT13; Nov 26, 2020 at 2:32 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 2:54 PM

Excited about this one. Should really help Rideau and especially the Waller Mall, which I think will be redeveloped alongside this project. Having a patio along the Waller Mall will make it about 10000x more pleasant.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 3:53 PM

Kinda plain, but decent.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenlivet Ave View Post
They've fenced off the site and started digging.

God the Andaz is ugly! Such an eyesore in the Market.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

Contractor has been selected and staging area is being set-up across the street behind the Major Building parking lot.

Here are a detailed few renderings I found. I see the similarities with the AC in Montreal, just a simplified version.

https://www.hospitalitynet.org/annou...el-ottawa.html

http://rimapdevelopment.com/en/projects/

More on the project on Marriott's website:

https://news.marriott.com/news/2019/...rand-to-ottawa
Notice how they omit 160 George behind it in the renderings.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 7:21 PM

The podium looks slightly different in those two renderings. Wonder which one is the final design?

I do like the overall design, with the exception of the silly looking featureless semi-blank wall on the east side of the building. I wish instead the glass façade on the west side was mirrored on the east side as well.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

This will be a game-changer for that stretch of Rideau. The design is fine, but ground floor interaction will be the key. I'm quite surprised that they would push ahead with a hotel in this economic environment.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
This will be a game-changer for that stretch of Rideau. The design is fine, but ground floor interaction will be the key. I'm quite surprised that they would push ahead with a hotel in this economic environment.
Probably betting that when this is built in 18-24 months or so, COVID will be over and people will be looking to splurge on travel after being cooped up for so long!

I just noticed that the podium looks completely different in the two renderings in the above post... I wonder which one is the "right" one? I like the look of the podium in the smaller rendering better...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Probably betting that when this is built in 18-24 months or so, COVID will be over and people will be looking to splurge on travel after being cooped up for so long!

I just noticed that the podium looks completely different in the two renderings in the above post... I wonder which one is the "right" one? I like the look of the podium in the smaller rendering better...
True. I'm guessing that the share of hotels that hang around and make it through this will be looking at lots of business once this passes. I just wonder about how quickly business travel will rebound. I guess there will be lots and lots of conferences to make up.

Agree on the smaller rendering. It's a more refined design. Based on the empty lobby, I'm not sure what the patio is for, but either way, the glass frontage would be a nice addition to that stretch.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Agree on the smaller rendering. It's a more refined design. Based on the empty lobby, I'm not sure what the patio is for, but either way, the glass frontage would be a nice addition to that stretch.
The patio is supposed to be along the Waller Mall frontage; it is for the lobby bar/restaurant.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 2:27 AM

Wow. Look at all of these unique buildings going up on Rideau right now. I wonder how they will choose which one wins all the architecture awards? They are all so spectacularly unique! :GROAN:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa