HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Have the media done any detailed costings of the NDP platform (or the Liberal's for that matter)? The only element of their platform that alarms me is the 1.5% corporate tax increase. No biggie in isolation, but, depending on the outcomes of the NAFTA renegotiation, I can't think of a worse time for it. In a bad/worst case scenario, both the federal and provincial government may need to be taking radical measures to keep corporations in Ontario.
Sort of

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...form-1.4656985

All three platforms are pretty dodgy from a fiscal perspective.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 1:54 PM
ハルウララ

I've no real doubt that Naqvi will hold onto his Ottawa Centre seat. It's mostly going to be about how much support his Liberal brand bleeds. Will be interesting to see what parts of the riding gain PC/NDP/Green supporters and what affect some of the new condo/apartment buildings have.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 3:24 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Have the media done any detailed costings of the NDP platform (or the Liberal's for that matter)? The only element of their platform that alarms me is the 1.5% corporate tax increase. No biggie in isolation, but, depending on the outcomes of the NAFTA renegotiation, I can't think of a worse time for it. In a bad/worst case scenario, both the federal and provincial government may need to be taking radical measures to keep corporations in Ontario.
The NDP proposals have been costed and signed off on by a former auditor-general.

Source: https://globalnews.ca/news/4196777/t...ndrea-horwath/
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 3:42 PM

Wrong thread, sorry

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
The NDP proposals have been costed and signed off on by a former auditor-general.

Source: https://globalnews.ca/news/4196777/t...ndrea-horwath/
That is an opinion piece written by someone from the party.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
That is an opinion piece written by someone from the party.
Being signed off by a former auditor-general isn't an opinion. (Unless you count the former auditor-general's opinion, but that opinion is relevant here.)

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCheetos View Post
Being signed off by a former auditor-general isn't an opinion. (Unless you count the former auditor-general's opinion, but that opinion is relevant here.)
But the person didn't link to the sign off by a former auditor general. As far as I can tell it was signed off by Kevin Page, who was never an auditor general, and he never looked at items that cost less than a billion, which isn't a thorough way of auditing.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 4:53 PM

Quote:
But the person didn't link to the sign off by a former auditor general. As far as I can tell it was signed off by Kevin Page, who was never an auditor general, and he never looked at items that cost less than a billion, which isn't a thorough way of auditing.
Well that's much more informative than "That is an opinion piece written by someone from the party.".

Hopefully we'll be able to find the signing-off that was mentioned in the piece.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCheetos View Post
Well that's much more informative than "That is an opinion piece written by someone from the party.".

Hopefully we'll be able to find the signing-off that was mentioned in the piece.
That information was all contained in the CBC article I linked to earlier.

But in general opinion pieces written by people affiliated with a particular party are not good sources of information during an election campaign.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
That information was all contained in the CBC article I linked to earlier.

But in general opinion pieces written by people affiliated with a particular party are not good sources of information during an election campaign.
Here's an alternate link in that case:

http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/04/1...dp-child-care/

That article wasn't written by anybody affiliated with the NDP and City News isn't an NDP-friendly outlet.

Quote:
The NDP platform was analysed by former federal parliamentary budget officer Kevin Page who says its costing of individual measures is “reasonable.”

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
Here's an alternate link in that case:

http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/04/1...dp-child-care/

That article wasn't written by anybody affiliated with the NDP and City News isn't an NDP-friendly outlet.
Yes, and the article successfully identifies Mr. Page as a former Parliamentary Budget Officer, rather than a former auditor general, as the more partisan piece suggested.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 1:29 PM

The provincial elections are a joke! You've got a choice between terrible, even more terrible, and beyond terrible. And they all end up in piles more debt!

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 2:34 PM

Just like last time. Pick your poison.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Just like last time. Pick your poison.
I think it is worse than last time. The Liberals and NDP were running fairly moderate, centrist platforms last time (and in my view a lot of the Liberals problems stem from the fact they put the platform that won the election into the wood-chipper). Now centrist voters have a choice between the Liberals and NDP fighting over the far-left or the far-right.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 7:11 PM

Kathleen Wynne has gone completely rogue into far-left territory. She's promising billions for absolutely everyone and everything -- I'm surprised she hasn't offered to pay our salaries outright!?!

I'm not sure what to think of Horwath, and Doug Ford is... well, Doug Ford.

No matter who wins, one thing is certain: Ontario is doomed.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:44 PM

Quote:
I think it is worse than last time. The Liberals and NDP were running fairly moderate, centrist platforms last time (and in my view a lot of the Liberals problems stem from the fact they put the platform that won the election into the wood-chipper). Now centrist voters have a choice between the Liberals and NDP fighting over the far-left or the far-right.
It's not so much that the Liberals put their 2014 platform in the wood-chipper (they pretty much did everything they said they would do) it's more that they added a whole bunch of extra stuff they didn't campaign on. Almost all of the signature initiatives they're now bragging about weren't mentioned in 2014 at all (free tuition for low income families, extensive minimum wage hike & labour law reform, OHIP+, etc.).

Ironically, I think if the NDP were running their 2014 platform this time, they'd be a shoe in for victory.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
It's not so much that the Liberals put their 2014 platform in the wood-chipper (they pretty much did everything they said they would do) it's more that they added a whole bunch of extra stuff they didn't campaign on. Almost all of the signature initiatives they're now bragging about weren't mentioned in 2014 at all (free tuition for low income families, extensive minimum wage hike & labour law reform, OHIP+, etc.).

Ironically, I think if the NDP were running their 2014 platform this time, they'd be a shoe in for victory.
I agree with you that they added a whole lot of new promises late in their mandate (which rubs a lot of voters the wrong way). But they also backtracked or fudged a lot of promises.
  • They promised to increase minimum wage to $11 and then link to inflation, instead they increased it to $14.
  • They promised to balance the budget by 17-18, and then went right off the deep end.
  • They didn't mention anything about hydro privatization.
  • They promised to freeze salaries of MPPs, senior managers, etc. and didn't.
  • They promised to reduce the number of government agencies by 30 percent (I can't figure out if they kept that one or not, but I kind of doubt it).
  • They promised to lower auto insurance by 15% and didn't.
  • They promised a whole bunch of infrastructure that didn't happen.

Nobody expects any party of keep all of their promises, but they expect they to follow a general theme. They ran as centrists in 2014 and tried to re-brand on the far left mid-mandate. Politically it makes not sense. Logically it makes no sense. They only thing I can think is that they were unable to make hard political decisions to bring the budget under control so responded by totally shifting gear, which I don't think will go down in history as a good strategy.

Last edited by acottawa; May 15, 2018 at 7:54 PM. Reason: fixed list

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 5:54 PM

My list didn't work very well.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 7:51 PM

Quote:
My list didn't work very well.
You need to prefix each line with "[*]"

Edit the post, remove the list start and stop codes, select what you want listed, and click the list button. It will then do it for you.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
You need to prefix each line with "[*]"

Edit the post, remove the list start and stop codes, select what you want listed, and click the list button. It will then do it for you.
Thanks

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy