HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 6:22 AM

And I don't doubt that are people in the city government that would encourage braver and a more courageous atttitude towards art. However, what I think needs to be changed before that is how quickly they kowtow to complaints about the art from Vancouverites. The citizenry has too much a say and we end up with movement to the boring middle (okay, that sounds a little anti-democratic but I hope you get the spirit of the message).

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 6:30 AM

Again, can the city not at least ask or enforce Sears to give they building a bath? It would not look so bad if it were kept clean.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 6:44 AM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Again, can the city not at least ask or enforce Sears to give they building a bath? It would not look so bad if it were kept clean.
Don't you think it would be more effective to email your comments to Sears first? If enough consumers complain, they're more likely to do something. If you email comments to Cadillac Fairview, they forward them to Sears management.

By the way, the filthy nature of Sears stores is not specific to this particular location. Apparenty this is a common problem with many Sears stores across Canada. It's an even bigger problem in the American stores, where Edward Lampert has pretty much cut out the budget for store upkeep (that's what happens when a hedge fund runs a department store).

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 7:17 AM

they probably could

but ick we don't need more advertsizing

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 7:51 AM

It seems so strange to allow your stores to become known as dirty and aging. Is it not good advertisement to keep your stores clean? Especially when the are marketed as mid range department stores?

Also metro-Vancouver has very very little advertisement compared to most of the world. Maybe that is why there is so little awareness of the Olympics world wide, because we simply do not know how to advertise, haha!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 7:59 AM

Is it, by chance, an Expo 86 building?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 8:01 AM

it doesn't look that dirty to me

it was never pristine white

maybe i only venture down there afetr the sun is down

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 1:26 PM

speaking of dirty, i walked past the Bay store and can't believe how shitty it looks with that rusting, peeling awning. it completely takes away from the banners. I can't believe they went through all the trouble to clean up the exterior, add banners etc but leave that awning.
puddles of water form under it because it leaks and there's little lakes there.
just terrible.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
speaking of dirty, i walked past the Bay store and can't believe how shitty it looks with that rusting, peeling awning. it completely takes away from the banners. I can't believe they went through all the trouble to clean up the exterior, add banners etc but leave that awning.
puddles of water form under it because it leaks and there's little lakes there.
just terrible.
So true. That awning is aged and disgusting, but mostly it limits the light underneath it.
Modern glass awnings would allow the pedestrians to see the beauty of the building and make the whole pavement bright and safe. Such a simple and overlooked change

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 2:05 AM

^ good news! though I would have prefered a complete replacement, here's what the bay is going to do with their awning -

"Thank you so much for taking the time to email me regarding our awning. I totally agree with you, they are utterly terrible. We are going to fix and paint it soon, we are just doing some structural work that you can't see and when this is complete it will look as good as new! I appreciate your comments and hope you have a great day!

Dana Hall
Store Director
The Bay Vancouver

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 2:32 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quite an interesting response, not typical of a company.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 3:11 AM

Speaking of HBC, my partner spoke with them today about the fact that one of their column lights along Georgia Avenue is GREEN. I think it's from some lighting they did for Christmas. We've noticed it for a while now, and had reported it once. But it never changed, and we just kind of laughed about it each time we thought about it (you can see the building from our place. Besides, the messy awnings are a much more irritating issue.

But with the Olympic banners up, he thought he'd contact them again.

The person to whom he spoke, who said they headed up their marketing department, said they had been made aware of the issue again just recently and were planning to replace the light (or remove the filter) . . . whatever it is that creates the green lighting affect.

Maybe they are getting more complaints as a result of people noticing the building since they put the banners up.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 5:06 AM

Well I just got back from Japan again, I was there for 4 weeks and took many photos. Instead of striking the usual areas in Osaka and Tokyo, I focused on smaller city areas (2 million and under) to better compare and contrast with Vancouver.

Also, instead of trying to find the craziest areas, I went for more calm streetscapes that couple possibly work for Vancouver.

These pics come from downtown Kobe (city population of 1.6 million) and while it is part of the Kansai region, it is a good 1 hour to 1 hour and a half away from Osaka, and is a far secondary commercial centre in an area loaded with massive commercial areas. So one could argue that downtown Vancouver, being the largest commercial centre of a metro of 2.5 million and indeed the largest commercial centre in the entire province, is equal, if not above the commercial heart of Kobe. (Akin to how large Yellowknife's commercial centre is for a population of only 18 000, compared to how small an 18 000 person community's commercial centre would be in the lower mainland).

In Japan, almost every train hub has a large department store above it, around it, or has a few near it. The following store/station demonstrates how only adding a few lights and banners can really change the flavour of a building (and note this building is also big and white, similar to our Sears) Also this is one of the most plain buildings in the area for lights, again why i think Sears in Vancouver can at least do this!

And the "Loft" department store beside it, which Sears could also do without needing to be torn down.

I would love for Vancouver to have a Loft (or Uniqlo) as an anchor tenant in a downtown department store.

Notice it is nothing to fancy but sufficient (trust me, these are not my favourite buildings, I am just trying to meet Vancouver half way).

Notice it has one large sign, a couple banners, some ground level retail windows, and one simple ground level LED screen at the corner.

just for fun, down the street from the last is this department store which i think is really nice (and much cleaner then any department store we have inside)

And this is what Japan does with their alley's in shopping/transit areas (this is also Kobe)

Notice that instead of dumpsters and crack heads there are canopy covered (all weather) walkways with retail and entertainment down the sides.

here is another pic of the area from one of the pedestrian overpasses linking the station to a department store, this picture does not do the area justice.

Again, this is only a minor centre a good distance away from Osaka, yet its commercial district is far more alive than ours with foot traffic, transit connections (at grade, underground and above ground), clean department stores, bars, and lights (but again, not as many lights as other areas, trying to meet van half way!)

If Sears is going to be around for 10 years or more, I would at least like to see that much detail (first 3 pics), especially along the Granville side.

All pics are my own

Cheers

These pics are all my own taken late at night on a tuesday.

[img

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 5:15 AM
Site 8 Lives

Kobe is a good comparison, due to its port setting, its mountain-and-ocean backdrop, and its focus on liveability (especially compared to Osaka).

As an aside, I think we can learn so much from retailers in Japan - everything from customer service to integration with public transit.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 6:40 AM
Shoebox Dweller

If the alleys are full of covered pedestrian malls, how do the stores receive their deliveries? :S

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
If the alleys are full of covered pedestrian malls, how do the stores receive their deliveries? :S
That's a good question... I've never actually seen delivery trucks delivering to bigger stores. I've seen coke trucks, but that's about it

I would assume they can pull in, or go underground.

I think these things happen in the middle of the night. There are things you are not meant to see in Japan Like service people doing their job.

And if YOU DO see them, they'll stop and look like a deer in headlights, and apologize for being seen doing their job.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 8:13 AM

That Daimaru building looks cool. It would be nice if Sears would "re-skin" the building so it looks classy like that.

I think the mish-mash of advertising in the last photo is what Vancouverites don't want. It looks too jumbled. I'm guessing it's the non-LED, poster ones that give it that feeling.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 8:37 AM

aww remember when Vancouver had a Furla store another brand lost here

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duener View Post
That Daimaru building looks cool. It would be nice if Sears would "re-skin" the building so it looks classy like that.
Sears will be re-skinned sometime in the near future, whether it will remain a department store/retail is the real question.

And I agree I think that Daimaru looks great, at least in that one picture.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 9:23 PM

looks kinda tacky to me

would not want to see that here - some nice simple lighting would be nice on sears but thats about it

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver