HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 1:36 AM
HVAC guru

We went on Saturday night at around 6 with the intention of checking out the festival, grabbing a few beers before heading out for a late dinner.

I'll say first that it's great that this has started, and I hope that the organizers re-jig things for next year. Having said that we felt that the event fell short in a few ways. There was too much emphasis on getting people into the pavilions. I think we all agree that we should be trying to get people outside in the winter. The arts pavilion was good as it was fun to check out the work of local artists, but we were not really impressed with the food pavilion and, turned around & left after walking into the brewhouse, opting instead to wander over to Sherlocks.

They need to re-think this big "architecturally designed" pavilion setup and instead open up the square and get some action and entertainment going. A big central fire pit. Some buskers. some activities & entertainment. Again, great that it has started, and I hope they add some attractions and simplify other aspects, and frankly they should shorten it up drastically, at least until it gains some traction.

It would have been great to see a DECL food stand out there, cooking up something interesting, staffed by members and raising funds for the community league. Concessions are money in the bank for volunteer organizations!! I saw no real presence at all from the DECL, but I am not sure how involved they are with the project.

We went to the Deep Freeze on 118th the next day and had a great time. I hope some of the organizers made the trip uptown to check on the formula that appears to be working.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 2:56 AM
Community Guy

DECL was not asked nor did we approach. But yes, interesting idea for next year.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 2:04 PM
DRINK

They should have a tent showing exhibits from the Edmonton sports hall of fame or whatever it is across the street. I've always wanted to check that out, never got around to it.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 4:07 PM
Community Guy

Then walk across the street...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 4:32 PM
HVAC guru

Paula Simmons is fairly critical of the Metropolis festival

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...706/story.html

Programming is a huge challenge. We put on several events at our community league every year and programming takes up a huge amount of resources and volunteer time. I do our community garage sale (my contribution to programming) and even that one weekend even takes hours upon hours of time to pull off. The organizers of Metropolis should start by trying to engage the community league and getting them to provide some programming, then build your infrastructure to meet the needs of the event. I agree with Paula... this seems like it was put together a bit ass-backwards.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 4:35 PM
Community Guy

DECL would be more than happy to assist in any way we can. We have already made a call out to performers and for programming.

I have also proposed a DECL community night of food and beer.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 5:09 PM

They need to do everything that 118th does for Deep Freeze, and then some more.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 5:14 PM
Community Guy

^do they? or do they go a different route?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 6:25 PM
HVAC guru

They don't need to carbon copy Deep Freeze (that would be pointless as Deep Freeze has its own identity that probably cannot be replecated) but they need to take some cues from festivals that work. They need to be open to ideas and change. They can't build these pavilions and hope they get filled. They need to focus way more on what will attract people. That's where they should look to events like Deep Freeze for guidance.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 3:23 AM
Registered Hipster

I'm heading to the Metropolis Open House this Friday. Interesting to see the structures...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 5:12 PM
Community Guy

Enjoy a Food Affair on the Square!

February 08, 2012

Sip, savour, and socialize in Churchill Square during “Lunchopolis”, part of Edmonton’s winter festival METROPOLIS.

Enjoy a Taste of Winter, with delicious food from local restaurants Tres Carnales Taqueria , Funky Pickle Pizza Co., Eva Sweet and many more. Talented local musicians Jessy Mossop & Stephen Lecky will be on hand to get you moving and roving performers, ice sculptures, chess tables, ping pong, blankets and heaters will keep you warm and entertained.

Date: Friday, February 10, 2012

Time: 11am to 2pm

METROPOLIS, has transformed Sir Winston Churchill Square into a modern wintertime festival with four futuristic structures inspired by cold-weather construction technology, and designed by world-renowned architects. Exhibits and interactive program spaces are open Friday evenings and weekends until Family Day, February 20, 2012.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 4:12 PM
Community Guy

Last week to enjoy the festival.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 9:07 PM

Went last week, found this thing to be quite the disappointment.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 8:07 PM
HVAC guru

Looks like the Metropolis festival will be put on ice this year

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ed-until-2014/

Probably for the best until they figure out what this festival is supposed to be. Last year, while as neat as the structures were, the lack of programming and the awkwardness of the theme made it difficult to understand exactly what they were trying to accomplish

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton