HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 5:07 PM
User Registered

2022 London Election

Starting a thread for this. Election is on October 24, 2022.

The results of the provincial election in June may have an impact on platforms/issues discussed during the local campaigns.

By 2023 the makeup of our local and provincial governments could look very different. Conversely, it could also be pretty similar to what we have now. Up to us to decide.

-----

What are the main issues going to be? I am thinking

BRT / transit. Will the current projects continue as planned? Would be very costly to cancel at this point. Will the routes defeated by the last council be approved? Any other changes to the plan at large?

Wonderland Widening. Project was canned due to environmental concerns but I am sure a lot of politicians will campaign on this to win votes. Drivers caught in congestion along this key route may vote for candidates in favor of expansion.

Property taxes. Classic campaign issue. Do we want to increase spending, stay as-is or cut?

Environment. Cycle lanes? Beautification? Climate emergency? What is London going to do?

Downtown. Dundas construction + pandemic have really, really hurt this area's growth and reputation. The homeless / druggie problem is much worse than it was around the 2018 election. Do we keep trying to pump money in the core to keep it alive or on life support, or do we start to pull the plug on some programs?

Housing. We need much more supply but we can't keep sprawling out with suburbs. Lots of local opposition to high rise projects means we have trouble infilling / building up. Population growth is probably going to continue even as the prices go up. No easy solutions.

I'm sure there are other major topics that I have left out and others that will creep up leading up to and during the campaign.

Will Holder try running for mayor again? What about Paul Cheng?

My Simcity Stuff

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy