HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalmuffins View Post
This same person is complaining about towers yet lives in an apartment building. Lol.
She didn't even dig into the idea 1 bit. straight up just "Lets put a walmart!" for the "Community"? the idea of being sandwiched between two Walmart's absolutely sends me lol.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2023, 12:34 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawacurious View Post
I think they just reinvested a lot of money updating the Volvo (and?) the Mazda storefronts. I doubt they will be moving.
Volvo on St. Laurent is supposed to be investing in a huge upgrade.

I agree that if they already invested so much into their dealership they wouldn't be moving, but that Canadian Tire is fairly new too.. I can remember it being built and I've only been in the region for 17 years.

Everything has a price.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 12:38 AM
Busy Beaver

Last edited by Kitchissippi; Apr 21, 2023 at 1:10 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 12:42 AM

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I’m shocked that they found someone to take the whole building. Agreed that it’s interesting, and definitely a more sustainable approach than demolishing a massive 10-year old building.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 1:27 AM

I'm okay with the purpose of that building becoming a wellness centre, but that's it? No more 40F towers??

But why not plan to redevelop the other sides of the lot and incorporate the 40F near the Boston Pizza side????

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 3:14 AM

Something is really fishy here. Altea seems to have some pretty detailed plans for this space that had a demolition proposal just days ago. Maybe they were on the fence and Rio-Can floated the redevelopment plan they had in their back pocket (in case they didn't get any bites) to try to push them into the lease.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Something is really fishy here. Altea seems to have some pretty detailed plans for this space that had a demolition proposal just days ago. Maybe they were on the fence and Rio-Can floated the redevelopment plan they had in their back pocket (in case they didn't get any bites) to try to push them into the lease.
Yeah, then rocketphish was right about riocan not actually wanting to do anything with this lot. That's... awful lol

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I’m shocked that they found someone to take the whole building. Agreed that it’s interesting, and definitely a more sustainable approach than demolishing a massive 10-year old building.
Agreed. If we can get another decade+ out of this building, that would be good.

Rezoning exercise is just that - a rezoning exercise. Do it now, get it out of the way, increase the value of the land and, once it is time to propose something that might actually be built, it's one less step. RioCan has a lot going on, and are quite slow about, so better they focus on Lincoln Fields, Westgate and whatever else than have yet another project on the go.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 4:43 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

Rezoning exercise is just that - a rezoning exercise. Do it now, get it out of the way, increase the value of the land and, once it is time to propose something that might actually be built, it's one less step. RioCan has a lot going on, and are quite slow about, so better they focus on Lincoln Fields, Westgate and whatever else than have yet another project on the go.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 2:33 PM
Busy Beaver

This will probably help sell Claridge’s development, maybe they should name their buildings after yoga poses A decade later will see the rise of Ayurvedic NIMBYs who oppose building anything here that might result in Altea’s eviction

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

They also have Elmvale, where they built one nice tower and than crickets.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 9:33 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

‘Tired’ Carling Avenue will be ‘hot spot’ for businesses for next 20 years, realtor predicts

Sarah MacFarlane, OBJ
May 19, 2023 4:13 PM ET

A wellness and social club that is moving into the former Canadian Tire store on Carling Avenue could be the first of many businesses opting for a location near but not in the downtown core, market watchers say.

Altea Active last month announced that it’s coming to Ottawa, where a number of local business leaders have invested in the company’s $30-million-plus project. Altea signed a lease with RioCan REIT in April and will take possession of the former retail store on Carling Avenue near Churchill Avenue in August. Altea plans to turn the 129,000-square-foot space into a premier spot for residents to be active, physically and socially.

The new facility, slated to open in late 2024, will offer fitness facilities, strength and cardio equipment, personal and small group training, spa amenities and “luxury” hospitality.

The two-storey vacant retail space is an “excellent” choice for Altea’s first Ottawa facility, said Lorne Scott, a realtor with Royal LePage Team Realty, whose office is just down the street from the site.

Altea’s business model requires a large space, as demonstrated by its existing facilities in Vancouver, Winnipeg and Toronto, and the Canadian Tire building “provides for that footprint,” Scott said.

“Assuming that Altea wanted something in the central core of Ottawa, there are not too many locations that are readily available or even possible,” Scott explained. “Ottawa has grown substantially over the last few decades and there are very few big enough pockets of available real estate that could house facilities that large in the core.”

With proximity to Highway 417, public transit and several Ottawa neighbourhoods, Scott said the location “offers excellent accessibility.”

“(Nearby) Westboro and Hintonburg are super cool and trendy areas to live in Ottawa … And assuming Altea wants to attract as many people as possible, the Champlain Bridge to Gatineau is only 4.5 kilometres away,” he added. “I live in Aylmer, Quebec, and it takes me 15 to 20 minutes to get to my office, so it is reasonable in my opinion for Quebec residents to possibly join Altea.

“This stretch of Carling, let’s say from Bronson Avenue to Greenbank Road, will only become more and more popular as our city continues to densify or build up.”

Given the current challenges in the downtown core brought about in part by the pandemic and the move to remote or hybrid work, Scott said many more companies will be considering other areas of Ottawa that are still central but outside of the downtown.

“More and more companies and builders are going west of the core in Ottawa, at a much quicker rate than east of the core, despite real estate being more expensive in the west. Just look at Kanata, or Stittsville, or even Carleton Place. Those places are booming big time.

“I think Carling Avenue, while still rundown or tired in some stretches, will be a hot spot for the next 20 years. Any business, regardless of the service or product they offer, should — and many will — consider Carling.”

Amir Rahim, owner of Grounded Kitchen, opened his restaurant’s second location earlier this year at 1545 Carling Ave., not far from the new Altea site. He said the wellness facility is a “step in the right direction” when it comes to revamping the neighbourhood and encouraging real estate conversions.

“It’s showing that unique and innovative things can be done with dormant real estate,” he said. “That conversion of space with the old Canadian Tire shows that things are possible and that action can follow ideas.”

While the impact that the Altea facility might have on his restaurant “remains to be seen,” Rahim is optimistic. If people are travelling to the Altea facility, it could bring more traffic and advertising for his business.

“We’re still so new, so getting the word out to the existing community is the big push we’re on right now. So new places like the Altea facility could be a hub for us to advertise and partner with,” Rahim said. “I do like that.”

Riley Brockington, the city councillor for River Ward where the Altea building is situated, said he’s heard “lots of interest” from the community in repurposing the old building.

“I’d like to see more recreation and sports in the communities at affordable prices and a new amenity like this would be welcome,” said Brockington. “Our recreation facilities are aged and if this can bring offerings that don’t exist elsewhere, it’s definitely positive for the community.”

David Wu, co-founder of Altea Active, told OBJ last month that his company is thrilled about its new Ottawa location, which offers good accessibility and visibility. It’s within sight of Highway 417 and is next to Westboro, which Wu sees as an underserved area for this kind of premium wellness and social club. The Glebe and Centretown are about a 10-minute drive away.

“We started negotiations with RioCan in July 2021, so that’s how long we’ve been working on this.”

Ottawa investors in the Altea facility include Jeff York of Farm Boy; David Little, managing partner of Dentons Ottawa office; his wife, Andrea Johnson, who’s also a partner at Dentons; former Farm Boy CFO Marc Santerre; Nouville Holdings president Louis Tremblay; Econo Petroleum CEO Goldy Singh; Dentons partner Phil Rimer; entrepreneur Nathan Sheaff; Ottawa physicians Binny Kuriakose and Sanjay Acharya; Smart Living Properties CEO Tamer Abaza; and VCL Construction president Mark Dalton.

https://obj.ca/tired-carling-avenue-...or-businesses/

Old Posted Jun 18, 2023, 2:53 PM

From Jeff Lieper newsletter

Former CTC development open house June 28
Councillor Brockington will be hosting an open house to answer questions about the former Canadian Tire site at 1640-1660 Carling Avenue on June 28. The session will be in person at Dulude arena, 941 Clyde Ave. at 7 pm. The owner, RioCan, is proposing 6 buildings ranging from 9 to 35 storeys so seeking permission to increase the maximum permitted height on the site to 40 storeys. Find full details of the proposal here. I should just note that this would be a long-term development plan; to the best of my knowledge, the recently announced gym is still going to move ahead.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 1:51 PM

So are we getting towers or a gym? I don't get it...

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
So are we getting towers or a gym? I don't get it...
We're getting a gym but the parcel of land is still going thru the zoning amendment process for future use

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 4:25 PM
Mooderator

Can't get 'tired' at a gym.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 2:55 PM
Busy Beaver

I think they'll develop this in phases. If they demolished the garden centre part (which doesn't seem to be included in the Altea rendering anyway), they could easily build Buildings 2, 3 and 4 in the back. The tall ones in front (5 and 6) could end up 20+ years away or never.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 2:46 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Jeff York talks about his investment in Altea, including adding the Fraser brothers as chefs
New wellness, fitness and social club to open November 2024

Caroline Phillips, OBJ
September 28, 2023 11:06 AM ET

A new fitness and social club that promises to be unlike anything Ottawa has ever seen is working with a pair of acclaimed local chefs, Ross Fraser and Simon Fraser, to open a 100-seat restaurant at Altea Active Ottawa.

The Ottawa investors behind the $30-million-plus project say they wanted to join forces with these specific culinarians based on their proven track record; innovative approach and use of fresh, local and seasonal ingredients; and ability to create eating spaces that attract community.

It’s been 15 years since the Fraser brothers opened their eponymous restaurant in the New Edinburgh and Rockcliffe Park area. Located on Springfield Road, Fraser has become a neighbourhood gem.

In 2015, the chefs/owners launched their second eatery, The Rowan on Bank Street in the Glebe. It more than holds its own against the larger restaurant chains at nearby Lansdowne.

While the brothers don’t bask in the spotlight as much as some other chefs, they have modestly maintained a deep connection with their community. They see their collaboration with Altea as a positive career evolution.

“An opportunity like this doesn’t come along very often,” said Ross, who’s always looking to grow professionally. He was formerly head chef at hospitality venues at the Olympic Games in Korea and Brazil, as well as at the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.

The timing is right, Simon agreed. “It’s very exciting.”

Among their longest-standing customers is Ottawa resident David Wu. He’s also the co-founder and president of Altea Active, an active lifestyle brand that’s been expanding into major markets across Canada.

The fitness chain is opening its third location — Altea Active Vancouver — in early November. It opened its first club in Winnipeg in 2019 and launched in Toronto, in Liberty Village, in 2022. Altea has plans for a second location in Toronto in 2024.

Altea Active Ottawa will be the largest of its locations, however, when it begins welcoming members in November 2024. Earlier this year, the company entered into a 50-year agreement to occupy the former Canadian Tire store on Carling Avenue, just west of Churchill Avenue.

“We’re committed to this community for the long term,” Altea Active board member and shareholder Jeff York said during an interview at Fraser restaurant.

Ottawa-based VCL Construction is overseeing the redevelopment of the 129,000-square-foot building.

“We want this location to be a landmark in Ottawa,” York said of its central location, proximity to Highway 417 and ample free parking.

Wu co-founded Altea with chief operating officer Michael Nolan in 2017. The businessmen are former senior partners at Movati Athletic. They left the company six years ago, inspired to build an even better business model and customer experience.

Altea Active Ottawa is expected to create between 225 and 250 part- and full-time jobs in the health, wellness and hospitality sectors.

“It’s going to be the biggest and best in Ottawa,” York promised. “We want to bring everything we’ve learned from Dave’s experience and Mike’s experience at Movati and what we’ve learned so far from (the Altea in) Toronto and just bring the best that we can bring to Ottawa and wow the consumer.”

To call Altea Active a gym would be a gross oversimplification. It defines itself as a wellness, fitness and social club for people looking to be healthy at all stages of life. Its Ottawa facility will have nine boutique studio fitness classes offering 200-plus classes each week, state-of-the-art strength and cardio equipment, personal and small-group training, recovery and spa amenities.

There will be a six-court indoor pickleball facility; virtual golf; a five-lane, 25-metre lap pool and a separate toddler swimming lesson pool; a women’s-only club with cardio and strength machines; multiple lounge areas for social events; member wine lockers; coworking facilities; and an Altea Kids Club with mini gym and birthday party room.

Of top priority is hospitality. That’s why it was so important to Altea that it has qualified people running its food and beverage operations, similar to what it’s done in Toronto with Oliver & Bonacini Hospitality. The club will also feature a smoothie bar and Starbucks Coffee outlet.

Ross and Simon Fraser are the perfect fit, said York.

“We’re going to bring the right quality of food with local people that ‘get’ the food business. They really match our branding in terms of what we want Ottawa to see us as.”

York is an Ottawa businessman with a golden touch. He first took Ottawa-based Giant Tiger national before expanding local food retailer Farm Boy to the southwestern Ontario and GTA markets. He’s also part of the new ownership of the Ottawa Senators hockey team.

“I always use the Farm Boy analogy,” York continued. “We do it one step up, and Fraser does it one step up. Altea wants to deliver for its members.”

He likes that Fraser restaurant is unpretentious. “There’s an authenticity to its brand. It’s a neighbourhood place where people like to hang out. The quality is great, the owners are involved in the community.”

The Fraser brothers are currently consulting with Ottawa-based McRobie Architects, as well as designers from Toronto-based luxury design firm Chapi Chapo, to figure out the layout of the new restaurant space. “We’re trying to make sure we end up with a restaurant that flows well,” said Ross.

The chefs’ ultimate goal is to offer expertly prepared food and create a welcoming space. The restaurant will be open to club members and the public.

“We’re building an atmosphere that’s going to encompass the full experience of going out,” said Simon. “You’re going out for your evening, it’s what you’ve chosen to do for your entertainment, and we hope to take all that into consideration and make it a lively spot with interesting decor, great food to match and the hospitality that we somehow manage to pull off.”

Along with York, the project is backed by the bulk of the Altea management team, who are co-investors, along with Dentons’ Ottawa managing partner David Little; Dentons partner Andrea Johnson; former Farm Boy CFO Marc Santerre; Nouville Holdings president Louis Tremblay; Econo Petroleum CEO Goldy Singh; Dentons partner Phil Rimer; Dr. Sanjay Acharya; Smart Living Properties CEO Tamer Abaza; Sciemetric CEO Nathan Sheaff; and VCL Construction president Mark Dalton.

https://obj.ca/jeff-york-investment-...hers-as-chefs/

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 3:32 PM

$2500 a year for membership?

I hope the restaurant fronts onto Carling - that area needs the help.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa