HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 5:22 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

They should slot the Mizrahi building into this site and move this more modern Architects Alliance design to the corner of Wellington and Island Park. I think that they are both better suited designs to those switched locations.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 5:23 PM

This thing has received tonnes of national media coverage, a rarity for an Ottawa architecture story. I guess that is what happens when a building represents Canada at Disney World.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 5:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
This thing has received tonnes of national media coverage, a rarity for an Ottawa architecture story. I guess that is what happens when a building represents Canada at Disney World.
Isn't it the Château Frontenac at Disney? Can't remember for sure.

EDIT: You were right. It's the Laurier.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 5:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I don't dislike modern buildings and am open to modern add-on to classical buildings, but I'll say this bluntly: I don't trust Canadians to pull off something like this that will end up being anything close to being attractive and tasteful.

If it were the French or the Italians, I'd feel more confident.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 6:14 PM

I hate this proposal... What's next, tagging on a brick apartment building expansion to the Eiffel tower?

The Chateau Laurier is one of the only icons for Ottawa and IMO it should not be played with. If they do, I would support an expansion using the same material and same style as the current OR possibly an all-glass modern expansion that is smaller/shorter in the back as to not over-empower (a-la NAC)...

The owners want to do this to make more money, well sorry you knew you were buying an architectural gem when you bought this and that an expansion would be highly unlikely... If they want to build something else, they are more than welcomed to buy another piece of land anywhere else around the city and propose whatever they want.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
With a few tweaks something like that could work really well next to the Chateau Laurier.

Last edited by Capital Shaun; Sep 15, 2016 at 6:38 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post

The owners want to do this to make more money, well sorry you knew you were buying an architectural gem when you bought this and that an expansion would be highly unlikely... If they want to build something else, they are more than welcomed to buy another piece of land anywhere else around the city and propose whatever they want.
Owners aren't big on heritage preservation.

http://time.com/3584585/saudi-arabia...-its-heritage/

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 6:45 PM

Aparently the architect is bound by rules. So forget anything that will look 'castle' like.

Quote:
"We're not to mimic the existing architecture"
"What we're to do, instead, is to build and design a structure that is representative of the period in which it is built."
Source: http://www.cfra.com/news/2016/09/15/...style-addition

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
They should slot the Mizrahi building into this site and move this more modern Architects Alliance design to the corner of Wellington and Island Park. I think that they are both better suited designs to those switched locations.
I could get behind that proposal.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 8:46 PM

Quote:

But interestingly, David Jeanes from Heritage Ottawa was on the CeeB this morning and was very confident in the People, the Process and the Product so far. (how did they get to him, too?)

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 9:06 PM

To borrow Prince Charles' pithy turn of phrase on a similar project, it is a "monstrous carbuncle on the face of a much-loved and elegant friend".

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 9:34 PM

On it's own, I think the addition makes a great building that would look great in Ottawa. Attached to the Chateau Laurier, I really don't like it. The laurier is such a beautiful building on it's own, I can't imagine why anyone would want to alter how it looks. Kinda makes me sad to see this actually.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 9:52 PM

Quote:

First of all, the Chateau is owned by Larco, not Fairmont.

Second, Fairmont, which manages the Chateau, is now owned by Accor, which is a French company: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/acco...sale-1.3357634

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 10:59 PM

I hate the proposal but wished that this same mob mentality from near and far were present to launch their viceral outrcies with all the past building disasters that are too many to fill this post - glad they finally woke up from their 25 year nap

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 11:06 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Chateau Laurier expansion first national treasure to be revamped using Minecraft

Amy Kishek, The Beaverton
September 15, 2016

OTTAWA – The historic Chateau Laurier Hotel is getting a much needed facelift with the help of Minecraft, a leader in architecture and design.

The proposed revamp would see the 660,000 square foot hotel which first opened its doors in 1912 enter the modern age with the addition of 100 new rooms each comprise of three-dimensional blocks, an engineering marvel of today.

Utilizing Minecraft’s state of the art technology, architects laboured for hours to placing and breaking each grey and beige block comprising of the compelling, pixelated new design.

Lead architect, Chris Ko, has a number of achievements over the course of his Minecraft career, including the highly coveted Pork Chop and Cobblestone awards. ‘Ottawa’, an Ice Plains biome, is said to be one of the more challenging environments for Minecrafters designers.

”I am very proud of our work, and am honoured the Chateau Laurier would entrust us with this project. Prior to this I was working on private homes, such as Adventure Time Palace, so this was a real treat”, said Ko at the unveiling of the new design in Ottawa.

This is the first time that Minecraft has successfully bid to reimagine a historical Canadian landmark. The Company hopes the success of the Fairmont Chateau Laurier will find them working on other Canadian landmarks sorely in need of modernization. Minecraft is said to have bid on the Centre Block renovations, 24 Sussex, and any other historical building within the downtown area.

Critiques of the design are concerned with the sparse interiors. The Chateau Laurier has stated publicly that it hopes to engage interior design firm, The Sims, for the next phase of the project.

https://thebeaverton.com/2016/09/cha...ing-minecraft/

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
If the addition is to be of a completely different character from the original building, then a good precedent to follow would be the Bank of Canada Building. The glass tower contrasts with the stone original, but it is used as a backdrop to emphasize the original. From down the street or across the road, the original stone building is what draws the eye first.
Exactly. Glass is the best material when you have to make a modern addition to a heritage building.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
And with all due respect, the example you showed in Kingston strikes me as a terrible example of heritage preservation. I don't find it objectionable, but it strike me more as an International-style building with rather unusual building materials. If you hadn't stated as much, I would have never known that it was originally a heritage building.
The stone houses were in very bad shape by the time Queen's bought them, and only the facades were preservable, and even then, half the stones were rotted out beyond repair. Normally, buildings in such condition are simply destroyed. Given what they had to work with, it's a great example of preservation. Attempting to put new stones next to the old ones would have just looked horrible.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 2:32 AM

I agree with a what a few of you have said; other than the roof, which should have more of an incline to match the old, the design is pretty good. The Mizrahi proposal however, might be a little more appropriate.

Not in any circumstances would I agree with building a faux historicism expansion. Although you might be able to fool a few people, it's not possible to match it exactly. A modern Glass addition to a heavy masonry building is the way to go.

Here's a look few of the modern additions over the years on other buildings around town;

Lord Elgin, which was posted earlier. They tried to match, but it just doesn't work. I would have preferred two glass wings. Not only would it have been a stunning addition to the hotel, but would also have broken the wall of heavy masonry and concrete along Elgin (which has improved over the years thanks to 150 and 160 Elgin).

http://lordelginhotel.ca/location/

Sir John A. Macdonald Building. They used stone, but it looks like concrete panels. The window wall on the box looks like an after thought. One of the worst additions IMO.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pwgscanada/16237442602

The Victoria Memorial Building, hands down best addition to a historic building. Impressive contrast between the light glass lantern over the old stone building

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&...318053&cad=rjt

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 11:38 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Historical 'distinctions': Architect defends controversial Chateau Laurier expansion plan

Susana Mas, The Ottawa Citizen
Published on: September 15, 2016 | Last Updated: September 15, 2016 10:27 PM EDT

The lead architect behind the design for the proposed additions to the historic Château Laurier is defending his work after newly revealed plans drew a barrage of criticism from the public and the city’s mayor.

Much of the criticism was directed at two box-shaped modern additions located on the east and west wings that stand in stark contrast with the character of the Château.

Peter Clewes, principal of the Toronto-based firm architectsAlliance, said the suggestion that he doesn’t care about the hotel’s heritage value is simply not true.

“We need to build buildings that are of our time but we need to be respectful of what has come before them and so it is really a balance between the two. It’s not appropriate to simply take a national historic site and then add on to it exactly in the architectural ground it was originally conceived in because that just confuses history,” Clewes told the Citizen on Thursday.

“It’s because I care about our cultural history as conveyed in architecture that I think it’s very important to create these clear distinctions,” Clewes said.

While some of the images appear to show the additions towering over the current hotel structure, Clewes said they are not in fact taller.

Some of the pictures circulated to the media, Clewes said, showed a wide-angle view which tends to distort the physical relationship between objects.

“There is some distortion,” Clewes said. “It does make it look larger than it is.”

A cross-sectional image of the design and an image showing a view of the expanded hotel from the main entrance on Wellington Street shows the additions tucked away slightly below the current building structure.

“When you look at the hotel, it will be very clear to you what is the historical portion of the hotel.”

Clewes, a Canadian design architect with 30 years of practice, is the recipient of two prestigious Governor General medals.

“We take our work seriously and we’re very passionate about what we do,” he said.

“What we’re trying to do is something very reserved and calm and deferential.”

Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson was also critical of the proposed expansion, saying in a tweet that “this falls under the category ‘back to the drawing board!'”

Art Phillips, director of development for Larco Investments Ltd., which represents the owners of the Fairmont Château Laurier, acknowledged on Thursday that “the feedback was quite intense.”

Phillips told the Citizen he hoped the public would take a closer look at some of the other details.

The current proposal also includes a new courtyard, the greening of four roofs, and a new underground parking garage open to hotel guests and the public.

Phillips said the owners are looking at changing the shape of the roof on the two box-shaped additions in favour of a more pointed design.

“We have to look at how we can draw upon the architectural character of the hotel without trying to mimic it, because understand that we’re not permitted to mimic the heritage,” Phillips said of the standards and guidelines for the conservation of historic places in Canada.

Phillips said the proposed design also borrows some materials such as limestone, glass and copper from the existing design.

Ottawa city councillor Mathieu Fleury, who appeared to support the expansion at first, said Thursday he regretted the statement he gave Larco for use in its presentation a day earlier.

“It is an exciting project that introduces captivating architectural design to this important site for our capital city while highlighting its important heritage value and location,” Fleury’s statement said.

“I did a mistake in the sense that, I’m so happy that the applicant is demolishing the (parking) garage, but certainly in terms of design and process for approval there’s a lot left,” Fleury told the Citizen.

“In my mind I would describe it as pre-consultation and certainly from the initial feedback, from Twitter and from the media and community partners, there is certainly a lot of change that is required to the design. I think the applicant is hearing that. They’re certainly open to a broader consultation and that’s refreshing.”

Both Clewes and Phillips said they will continue to consult with the city’s urban design review panel and the National Capital Commission until both are happy with the design.

The NCC told the Citizen it did review earlier drafts of the design as recently as May and August and welcomes the launch of public consultations.

“The NCC recognizes the historic and symbolic importance of the Château Laurier and even though the proposed addition is on private land, there are opportunities to enhance the design as part of the federal approval process since the site is surrounded by NCC lands,” said spokesperson Mario Tremblay in a statement Thursday.

“The NCC has been challenging the proponent to find design solutions that do not negatively impact the adjacent park and the views of the Capital.”

Phillips said he still intends to submit a formal application next month and will continue to hold public consultations before submitting a final plan for approval in 2017.

With files from Jon Willing and Don Butler

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...expansion-plan

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 11:54 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

"It’s not appropriate to simply take a national historic site and then add on to it exactly in the architectural ground it was originally conceived in because that just confuses history,” Clewes told the Citizen on Thursday."

So we're not allowed to match old architecture anymore? Umm, why? Who made up this silly rule? As long as you don't claim afterwards that it was built as part of the original structure, you're good. I think they claim this because they get to show off their own designs this way, instead of just extending an established design. And they think they're too important for that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa