HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 12:40 PM

Hockey universitaire: l’UQO répond à l’appel de Serge Savard
Par Julien Paquette, Le Droit
17 juin 2024 à 14h24

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/e...DEIGIFO2I6YCE/

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Hockey universitaire: l’UQO répond à l’appel de Serge Savard
Par Julien Paquette, Le Droit
17 juin 2024 à 14h24

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/e...DEIGIFO2I6YCE/
Interesting. It looks like OQAO will play in a four team league and Concordia will drop out of the OUA to play in this league. That leaves McGill and UQTR playing in the OUA out of Quebec. I do not see any information as to if this new league will compete on the national level against the other university leagues for the Canadian university championship.

Canadian university hockey will be shaken up for another reason as well. For many years the NCAA considered that players graduating from Major Junior A hockey were actually pros and not eligible to play in the NCAA. Those Major Jr A players that were not drafted, and wanted and qualified for university, turned to Usports teams such as the Gee-Gees and Ravens and dozens of others . Major Jr A hockey has a scholarship fund to pay the tuition of these players.

As of this year the NCAA has changed their mind. They will now recruit Major Jr. A players . It is feared that Canadian University Hockey will lose some of their best prospects to the NCAA and thus reduce the quality of hockey at Canadian universities.

Edit: The NCAA has not yet made the change to their rules, but are seriously considering doing so.

Edit2: I have just been told that Concordia will play both in the OUA and this new RSEQ Div. 2 league. The team in the Div. 2 will be pay as you play. This team will have to raise its own money to operate. They will not receive money from the university.

Last edited by LeadingEdgeBoomer; Jun 19, 2024 at 10:19 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa