HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Caltech undergrad is also tiny. It's smaller than a typical high school. It may be there are so few Caltech grads they don't register much, especially on the opposite side of the country.

And I don't think Harvard generally comes to mind for science/tech. Very strong for math and biology, but Harvard is traditionally usually strongest in social sciences.
True, that sounds about right.

Though I think Harvard ranks pretty high up there for chemistry and physics too.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Little Caltech comes in at #7 with 76 Nobel laureates lodged between #6 Stanford and #8 Princeton. I'd say Caltech has a pretty secure perch in terms of prestige among US universities.

https://www.bestmastersprograms.org/...prize-winners/
People in other countries even know about Caltech.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Little Caltech comes in tied with Princeton in the #8 spot between #7 Stanford and #10 Yale in terms of number of Nobel laureates. Considering how small Caltech is in terms of faculty and student body, that is a truly remarkable showing. I'd say Caltech has a pretty secure perch in terms of prestige among US universities.
I certainly wasn't disputing Caltech's actual prestige.

I was just stating that it seems to be lesser known for that science and technology prestige, with less general name recognition (at least in the northeast US), than Stanford and Berkeley are. Like Crawford said, it's likely due to its small size when compared to the much larger Stanford and Berkeley.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 9:13 PM
你的媽媽

Not just small size but also not really known for their athletics program, whereas with Stanford and Cal you have a lot of student athletes that make it to the professional level and Olympians to help boost its national profile beyond just academics.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 9:27 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Not just small size but also not really known for their athletics program, whereas with Stanford and Cal you have a lot of student athletes that make it to the professional level and Olympians to help boost its national profile beyond just academics.
Exactly.

Cal-tech is an incredibly well-respected institution within academia, but it's brand recognition among the general population is diminished quite a bit because it's very small and no sports.

If it was the size of an MIT, with its same academic reputation, it would no doubt be better known.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Exactly.

Cal-tech is an incredibly well-respected institution within academia,
This. My sense of the reputation of Caltech is that going there impresses your colleagues and your professors the most. Whereas the famous institutions is the opposite, it impresses your family and friends. The obscurity of Caltech is kind of part of genius of its marketing. Like wearing Schiaparelli instead of Louis Vuitton. The name goes far for the people that should “know” rather than the general public who wouldn’t know this school from ITT Tech.

Last edited by ocman; Sep 10, 2024 at 3:09 AM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 4:47 AM

Also, I don't believe Caltech has the institutional research-to-commercial market pipeline MIT and Stanford have. Where's Caltech's Kendall Square/incubation zone?

I'd guess more than half of the country's contemporary big tech was founded at least in part by an MIT or Stanford alum (often both as co-founders). You don't hear about Caltech founders.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 4:55 AM

Caltech has a higher proportion of its graduates get PhD's than any other university.

https://www.collegetransitions.com/d...s-phd-programs

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Also, I don't believe Caltech has the institutional research-to-commercial market pipeline MIT and Stanford have. Where's Caltech's Kendall Square/incubation zone?
Caltech doesn't have an incubation zone, but it does manage NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, which was founded by Caltech graduate students in 1936. Per Wikipedia, JPL employs some 6,000 Caltech employees as well as some students.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Caltech doesn't have an incubation zone, but it does manage NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, which was founded by Caltech graduate students in 1936. Per Wikipedia, JPL employs some 6,000 Caltech employees as well as some students.
My astronomy prof in college worked at JPL and constantly referenced Caltech. That's basically my only real-life Caltech reference.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 6:35 PM

Not sure when this Quora thread got started. Info might be dated and inaccurate. https://www.quora.com/What-startups-...Caltech-alumni

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

I'd guess more than half of the country's contemporary big tech was founded at least in part by an MIT or Stanford alum (often both as co-founders). You don't hear about Caltech founders.
Caltech’s reputation bends more towards scientific theory/inquiry rather than commercial application. So it’s more known for producing the thinkers rather than the industry titans. So, basically the characters in Big Bang Theory rather than HBO’s Silicon Valley is a good stereotype of their strengths.

Last edited by ocman; Sep 11, 2024 at 4:30 AM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 5:45 PM

About a quarter of their graduates get PhD's.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 12:09 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Indeed. One cannot overstate the importance of JPL.

Caltech students were/are experts at rocketry. The forebearers to getting the first USA satellite into Space, and their work contributing to NASA getting a man on the moon

Anyone that doesn't understand the legacy of this institution and its importance to America and the aerospace industry needs to read up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_...ion_Laboratory

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 12:46 AM

Number of PhD's over the past 5 years as a percentage of number of undergraduates.

Caltech 418 42.5%
MIT 1070 23.8%
Harvard 1068 20.4%
Princeton 854 15.2%
Chicago 1000 13.2%
Yale 815 12.1%
Brown 881 11.5%
Johns Hopkins 695 11.5%
Cornell 1685 11.1%
Duke 729 11%
Dartmouth 482 10.8%
Stanford 809 10.6%
Columbia 823 10%
Pennsylvania 839 8.6%
Berkeley 2,571 7.9%
Northwestern 683 7.7%
Michigan 1,913 5.9%
Virginia 582 5.7%
UCLA 1,567 4.9%

I said one quarter of Caltech grads upthread, it's much higher than that.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 2:15 AM

I guess too because I grew up in the Los Angeles area, but Caltech is often being mentioned. Ever since I was a kid, whenever there's an earthquake, locally, or anywhere in the world, the local media always descends on Caltech and does live shots from there, and they always interview the seismologists.

So, subjectively for me, Caltech was always talked about/mentioned, and it's always been regarded in SoCal as a very prestigious school.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I guess too because I grew up in the Los Angeles area, but Caltech is often being mentioned. Ever since I was a kid, whenever there's an earthquake, locally, or anywhere in the world, the local media always descends on Caltech and does live shots from there, and they always interview the seismologists.

So, subjectively for me, Caltech was always talked about/mentioned, and it's always been regarded in SoCal as a very prestigious school.
People in the Bay Area are also aware of Caltech, for the same reasons. Their experts get media interviews for various types of stories, but especially so for earthquakes.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 2:30 PM

Oh mah gah craigs I was just reading your post and I literally started feeling an earthquake. I'm at work right now, I heard someone's phone do an earthquake alert, and sure enough, everything started shaking.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 2:36 PM

Ah, sure enough:

Magnitude-5.1 Malibu earthquake shakes Southern California

Edit: Downgraded to a 4.7: Magnitude-4.7 Malibu earthquake shakes Southern California

I'm sure those mountains near Malibu helped absorb the shock waves that otherwise would've made it feel stronger in the LA basin, plus I'm in the SGV. It didn't feel like too much of a strong shaking, but I felt a little dizzy during the thing.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 2:58 PM
你的媽媽

Yup there was a 4.7er that just hit 7 klicks north of Malibu.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions