HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 3, 2023, 3:02 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSquared View Post
As far as I'm aware no attendance number was released for the Moncton and Charlottetown matches.

I was at the Moncton match and took pictures from all over, it looked like around 1500 were in attendance. The turnout surprised me, I expected maybe 500-600 given the low-profile nature of the match, and the lack of promotion.
I wish that I knew more about when these things come around, we have a reputation to create or uphold if we want to create a good impression and turn some heads and gather some attention. It'd be some decent entertainment too, I'm sure. I'm certain there will be other opportunities in the future, I'll have to keep an eye out. Don't be afraid to post on here and let the rest know for all who are interested.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2023, 3:34 PM

From The Basketball League Facebook page

What a great week in Atlantic

The goal is simple to announce multiple markets that have been awarded a team‼️

Strong candidates are:

• Moncton NB
• Saint John NB
• Fredricton NB
• Bathurst NB
• St Stephen NB
• Charlottetown PEI
• Cape Breton NS
• Truro NS
• Halifax NS

The goal wouid be to okay the majority of the regular season games in the Maritimes & New England

Virtually 0 airfare & very few overnights.

The would move through TBL playoffs like everyone else for a shot at “the Lillie”

Hoping for announcements around September 15, 2023 to begin March 2024

#adifferentleague

“Where the SPIRIT of the GAME LIVES”

Old Posted Sep 3, 2023, 3:43 PM

Another post from their Facebook page

With Coach Rob Soon in Saint John NB at the Harbor Station Arena, great meetings in Fredricton & St John today.,,

The Maritimes looks real promising‼️

#adifferentleague

“Where the SPIRIT of the GAME LIVES”

Old Posted Sep 3, 2023, 4:31 PM

Selfishly I want a team in Fredericton.

Objectively I think a team would do well, as they don't even have a QMJHL team to compete with, but where to play.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2023, 4:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Any possibility of a partnership with UNB?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2023, 1:38 AM

UNB has not really shown much interest in sharing facilities in recent years. Fewer and fewer non-university events occur at the Aitken Center. While they have one of the best purpose built basketball centers (the Currie Center) in the province, I don't see them being too enthusiastic about sharing the site either. It is used for men's/women's basketball as well as volleyball, and other events. Plus it only seats 1800.

I'm sure the Harvey Grant could host games, but would also be limited to maybe 2000 seats (1500 built in and 500 added at floor level).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Any possibility of a partnership with UNB?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2023, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
UNB has not really shown much interest in sharing facilities in recent years. Fewer and fewer non-university events occur at the Aitken Center. While they have one of the best purpose built basketball centers (the Currie Center) in the province, I don't see them being too enthusiastic about sharing the site either. It is used for men's/women's basketball as well as volleyball, and other events. Plus it only seats 1800.

I'm sure the Harvey Grant could host games, but would also be limited to maybe 2000 seats (1500 built in and 500 added at floor level).
Its possible that the league could make a venue that seats 2000 work. In the past the best attended games were in St Johns (usually around 3-4K fans) Moncton & halifax (typically around 2K fans). Half the teams in the CEBL are averaging under 2000 fans per game.

Its really too bad that Fredericton didn't just budget a little more when they built the Harvey Grant Centre and make it seat 4500-5000. The arena slush puppie in Gatineau cost $79 million (includes 4 ice surfaces), Harvey Grant Centre cost $30 million (only 1 ice surface). Even a budget of around $50 million could have likely got them something similar to the arena in Gatineau if you take away the additional ice surfaces and would have given them something to support a future basketball team as well as a QMJHL Team.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 10:40 AM

I wonder if the Moncton Magic will be reborn. They did not fold but departed from the NBLC, and were looking for other league options to play in. They really had a great thing going on, and were drawing great crowds near the end until COVID buggered things up.

The owner has deep pockets and was a regular at games.

Hopefully, the Magic comes back.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 12:54 AM
I Rise Again

I know that Wikipedia has the potential to be unreliable but it says that Saint John is getting a team. It seems that whoever updated it should have put it in the Basketball Super League, rather than The Basketball League wiki.

TBL
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Basketball_League
BSL
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basket...(North_America)

I wonder if we will hear some sort or announcement soon?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 5:01 AM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
I know that Wikipedia has the potential to be unreliable but it says that Saint John is getting a team. It seems that whoever updated it should have put it in the Basketball Super League, rather than The Basketball League wiki.

TBL
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Basketball_League
BSL
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basket...(North_America)

I wonder if we will hear some sort or announcement soon?
Seems like the league has been building since April. Their goal was to ultimately reach all former NBLC markets eventually.

The BSL's first season was originally expected to start December of this year. We will see.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 5:26 PM

Pretty awesome to see this project to go in, especially since I didn't even know about the World's oldest basketball court being located right here in NB.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/world-s-...seum-1.6617167

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 5:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Indeed. The render is fantastic. If built as depicted, this will be an excellent addition to downtown St. Stephen.

It's also not far from the Ganong Chocolate museum. That's a tremendous one-two punch for the town. And, right next to the border crossing too.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 8:24 PM

Nice to see it finally starting to come together. I know it's been in the works for a few years now. They bough a building next door and demolished it so nice to see that the space will be used. Might get a few more tourists who go to St. Andrews to go into St. Stephen. Next up is a place to spend the night in town and not have to go to St. Andrews and beyond

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
I wish that I knew more about when these things come around, we have a reputation to create or uphold if we want to create a good impression and turn some heads and gather some attention. It'd be some decent entertainment too, I'm sure. I'm certain there will be other opportunities in the future, I'll have to keep an eye out. Don't be afraid to post on here and let the rest know for all who are interested.
Bumping this as a follow-up, as there doesn't seem to be a dedicated Atlantic soccer thread here like we have for most other sports.

International Summer Series 2024 will be taking place between July 14th and 27th, with more soccer matches featuring UK development league clubs (this time Middlesbrough U21 and Ipswich Town U21), HFX Wanderers U21 and New Brunswick Selects.

July 14 - St John's - HFX Wanderers U21 v Ipswich Town U21, 1pm
July 17 - Sydney - HFX Wanderers U21 v Ipswich Town U21, 7pm
July 21 - Moncton - Ipswich Town U21 v Middlesbrough U21, 1pm
July 21 - Moncton - HFX Wanderers U21 v New Brunswick Selects, 3:30pm
July 24 - Halifax - HFX Wanderers U21 v Middlesbrough U21, 7pm
July 27 - Charlottetown - HFX Wanderers U21 v Middlesbrough U21, 7pm

https://hfxwanderersfc.canpl.ca/summerseries

Last edited by SevenSquared; May 29, 2024 at 10:36 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces