HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAlex View Post
It hasn't even been proven that the Developer ordered the tree to be removed.

"Neighbors of the felled tree, which sat next to a sidewalk, told the American-Statesman last year that they suspected Wheeler ordered the cutting because the tree blocked a view of downtown from the spec home he was building."

This kind of statement makes Austin a joke. A neighbor suspected therefore it is so.
It's no joke, read the article again. He was indicted by a grand jury:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Developer indicted in South Austin tree cutting

By Steven Kreytak | Wednesday, July 16, 2008, 03:59 PM

An Austin developer has been indicted by a Travis County grand jury on a charge of criminal mischief, accused of illegally cutting down a large cedar tree in South Austin last year.
They don't do that unless there is a good deal of evidence that it may be true. Trust me, it's not just the because a neighbor is suspicious. Anyway, if proven true, I hope he gets jail time.

Makes Austin look good to me, that they are actually going after this guy. Better yet, they should use that bit of ground he cleared for them and put up a new telephone or electrical pole... See how he likes that in his view .. but that would be hurting the neighbors, too.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 9:21 PM

Oh yeah, saw this the other day and was encouraged... but then I read it and it may only be $10 per tree Still, looks like they are feeling the pressure and we need to keep it on :

(from http://www.590klbj.com/News/Story.aspx?id=95216)

City to Fine Subcontractor for Cutting Protected Trees
7/11/2008

Newsroom

Outcries from neighbors in west Austin, near the Bee Caves Apartments under construction near Oak Hill, have put some pressure on city hall to fine a subcontractor for demolishing 23 century-old trees at the construction site.

"There have been lots of calls from that area and lots of concerned citizens throughout the city who look at this as the worst violation of tree removals that they've seen," says Pat Murphy, Austin Environmental Officer.

He says the city has been investigating for some time violations that might be filed in municipal court. He says that decision was made and they are now pursuing, in municipal court, 20 violations.

"The maximum fine is $2,000 per violation," Murphy says. At the maximum penalty, that could add up to a total of $40,000 in fines for the subcontractor, Gillingwater Excavation. "Municipal Court has set a fine or fee schedule of $1,500 dollars and $10 per violation," Murphy says. If city hall does not pursue the maximum fine, that would amount to a potential $38,500 break for Gillingwater and whatever other parties which could be named as potentially liable for the razed trees.

Murphy says the city believes the incident was an honest mistake, because of the manner in which the trees were cut down.

"Typically, if someone has done a limit of construction on their site and has basically made that a barrier, we have allowed them not to survey trees in those areas. In this case, unfortunately, that's the very area that they've cleared."

He says the city is now planning to reevaluate its methods of regulating timber-cutting practices for development.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 11:12 PM

TXAlex, another way to read that quote is that the neighbors know he ordered it cut down and are speculating as to the REASON. The truth will doubtlessly out; but there's a lot of people here willing to say that it's OK for a developer to cut down the city's tree anyways. Not the case; it belongs to US, not him.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
TXAlex, another way to read that quote is that the neighbors know he ordered it cut down and are speculating as to the REASON. The truth will doubtlessly out; but there's a lot of people here willing to say that it's OK for a developer to cut down the city's tree anyways. Not the case; it belongs to US, not him.
Sorry dude, but I don't get what your saying, can you explain a little further.

City of Austin PR at its best. COA, my opinion, was to help ease the recent debacle of tree slashing going on in the city, from developers.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
It's not OK for a developer to cut down the city's tree.

But what doesn't make sense to me is that a developer who has been around for a while developing in central Austin such as Hunter Wheeler would be stupid enough to cut down the city's tree with such arrogance.

This is the view from the house he just built on Daniel. I'm just trying to figure out where this tree was.

Or the City of Austin-owned right-of-way other than the right-of-way on his property lot 39 which would still be his property. I can't find it on the GIS viewer either.

Last edited by TXAlex; Jul 18, 2008 at 3:03 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin