HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 8:05 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I have a 5-speed truck and parking in reverse with the parking brake is muscle memory.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 8:50 PM
Ex Houstonian

I freaking hate people that park on the sidewalk, I put cement barriers up on our sideyard to prevent white trash from doing that and destroying our grass. It looks so trashy and low class to park your car on the sidewalk. Most people that do it around me have idiotic bumper stickers with tinkerbell and have "sprinkled in bitch dust" or something to that effect on their cars or Trump 2024.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
"curbing a vehicle"

A concept I have never given a single moment's thought to in 48 years of living in Chicago, LOL!
It's a huge deal in hilly cities. I once saw a runaway car flying down a steep San Francisco street toward a busy commercial area. People were yelling up and down the hill so pedestrians could clear the intersections. It eventually slammed into a row of parked cars and sent debris flying high downhill. It was truly one of the strangest things I've seen, and it was scary. That thing could have gone right through a store or restaurant full of people.

I currently live on a hill and my driveway is extremely steep. We are about to add a crazy Boomer to our household and he will have to park on that driveway. I'm worried that he won't remember to turn his wheels properly.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 9:52 AM

Even in lil old KCMO the drivers license test included curbing.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 11:20 AM

Ain't no parking on no sidewalks here, none. Not even on narrower streets like Rivard in the Plateau.

Okay, there may be the odd pickup or delivery truck on a bit of sidewalk but it’s a rare thing.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 4:26 PM
I am the law!

Consideration of others is dead. It's not just drivers. Pedestrians will come to a complete stop in the middle of a busy sidewalk to answer a text. Next is the popularity of Canyonero sized strollers. I've had people come to a complete stop twice in the middle of the exit doors of a major grocery store on a weekend.

Everyone walks slower post Covid too.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Ain't no parking on no sidewalks here, none. Not even on narrower streets like Rivard in the Plateau.

Okay, there may be the odd pickup or delivery truck on a bit of sidewalk but it’s a rare thing.
The curbs in NYC are mostly too high for regular cars and SUVs to drive over, so that eliminates a lot of issues with cars parking on sidewalks. Some areas do still have lower curbs so you might see cars occasionally park over the curb, but that's pretty rare. The NYPD, whether in police cars or their own private cars, are the absolutely worst offenders in the city for parking over curbs and on sidewalks in areas with lower curbs.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 8:57 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Consideration of others is dead. It's not just drivers. Pedestrians will come to a complete stop in the middle of a busy sidewalk to answer a text. Next is the popularity of Canyonero sized strollers. I've had people come to a complete stop twice in the middle of the exit doors of a major grocery store on a weekend.

Everyone walks slower post Covid too.
Don't get me started on not heeling their damn dogs.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 9:12 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Who needs to be punched in the face harder:

Sidewalk parking asswipes?

or

Open-pipe motorcycle fucknuts?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 9:14 PM

Quote:

or

I vote for open-pipe motorcycle fucknuts and any cars modified to be extra loud. Extremely loud cars and motorcycles are my absolute pet peeve

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 9:16 PM

Quote:

or

Motorcycles and anyone else with a modded muffler driving through a crowded and/or residential areas.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 9:16 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I vote for open-pipe motorcycle fucknuts and any cars modified to be extra loud. Extremely loud cars and motorcycles are my absolute pet peeve
x2

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 9:53 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:

or

Loud motorcyclists for sure. An a hole mega Trump supporter used to live across the street last year and he had a motorcycle that he would just idle so everyone could hear how absolutely amazing and awesome it was at 730 in the morning every Saturday and Sunday and he would just let it idle for 30 min. Then he would randomly every day just start it and idle it forever being loud as fuck and then would just drive it around the block and come back roughly every hour or so, so that everyone definitely knew how big of a penis he had.

When he moved he asked me if I had noticed his new motorcycle. I was like yeah but I wanted to be like yeah, I want to murder you you pile of inconsiderate garbage.

People are just unaware as to how absolutely annoying they are and never take anyone else into consideration. Never even crosses people like that minds to think about others.

I've really had it with annoying loud people and inconsiderate a holes, which is why when interests rates go down we are getting the hell out of the city and buying an acre or so. Never would have ever thought that I wouldn't want to live in a city but everyone has gotten so obnoxious and uncaring. I have to pick up trash every damned day on my street and deal with loud blasting music and motorcycles. I can't take it anymore.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 11:11 PM
Never Dell

That acre on the edge of town could be just as bad or worse. What if a neighbor revs engines a lot, has a barking dog, mows all the time, etc.?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 11:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post

I've really had it with annoying loud people and inconsiderate a holes, which is why when interests rates go down we are getting the hell out of the city and buying an acre or so. Never would have ever thought that I wouldn't want to live in a city but everyone has gotten so obnoxious and uncaring. I have to pick up trash every damned day on my street and deal with loud blasting music and motorcycles. I can't take it anymore.
Maybe you just need a better city neighborhood?

Here in Lincoln Square the only loud noises I deal with are the L trains ROARING down our alley every couple minutes and the jets directly overhead on final approach to ORD in between the trains.

And of course sirens (we live in between two hospitals).

Otherwise, it's pretty quiet.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 13, 2024 at 11:53 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:54 AM

From this past weekend:

In related news, I was pulled over by a police officer while bicycling this weekend (for biking on a recently resurfaced road that hadn't yet re-opened to traffic). This is about the fifth time that I've been pulled over while bicycling.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:24 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Maybe you just need a better city neighborhood?

Here in Lincoln Square the only loud noises I deal with are the L trains ROARING down our alley every couple minutes and the jets directly overhead on final approach to ORD in between the trains.

And of course sirens (we live in between two hospitals).

Otherwise, it's pretty quiet.
you're lucky, the loud motor asswipes are all over the loop.

I've been considering designing some sort of directional microphone array to trigger a camera to try to shame those assholes, but probably they'd see it as a prize...

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
you're lucky, the loud motor asswipes are all over the loop.
Michigan Ave. in the Loop appears to be a summer cruising spot? I remember some ridiculously loud modified vehicles last summer.

I don't understand why cities don't take this more seriously. It seems to be a problem everywhere and exacerbated by Covid. Why can't the police seize illegally modified vehicles?

The NYT recently had an article about some jerk terrorizing downtown Seattle for months and monetizing it via social media. His income stream is basically angering his neighbors in the middle of night and filming it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/29/u...n-hellcat.html

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:27 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Lol, in the City of St. Louis there are parking enforcement officers who are a separate unit from normal police - I think enforcement is only limited by the number of enforcement officers on duty / employed at any one time. During covid - parking enforcement was actively paused, however.

It could be that in general it is harder to find qualified municipal employees since so large a chunk of qualified people checked out of the workforce during covid.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:51 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
Lol, in the City of St. Louis there are parking enforcement officers who are a separate unit from normal police - I think enforcement is only limited by the number of enforcement officers on duty / employed at any one time. During covid - parking enforcement was actively paused, however.

It could be that in general it is harder to find qualified municipal employees since so large a chunk of qualified people checked out of the workforce during covid.
I think enforcement is pretty limited by the local police forces here. We get a lot of sideshow activity both in downtown intersections as well as the Bay Bridge. You would think it'd be pretty easy to assemble a blockade and arrest a bunch of sideshow participants and impound their cars if they're all on a bridge with only one exit each way. I imagine a lot of it is due to lack of motivation by the police.

They'll pull you over for an overly loud exhaust or texting while driving, but a large group of of hundreds of people they're too wimpy to do anything about it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions