HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 3:59 PM

This morning's progress. Some of the shops are now open. You can see the framing for the rooftop Nordic Spa called Huma on the terrace of the building at the bottom left.
[IMG]DJI_0202 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

From the back side:
[IMG]DJI_0197 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

The new library across is almost finished, they are stocking books.
[IMG]DJI_0199 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

The adjacent all inclusive luxury apartment development called 'Le Central' is almost complete. My Dad moved in a month ago and it's really just a beautiful place.
[IMG]DJI_0199 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:01 PM

Very nice! One of my favourite projects.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 1:40 PM

Agora has struck a deal with Communauto. The car sharing company originally agreed to supply one car for the development complex, but Agora wanted at least two, so they offered to pay for any short fall (Communauto wants to at least make $1,000/month) by end of year for the second vehicle. If things work out, they will offer the same deal for a third.

In addition, Agora will pay the base membership to all residents. Residents will therefore only pay for their insurance and mileage.

More on Le Droit:

https://www.ledroit.com/ma-region/la...e3cf36e4148732

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Agora has struck a deal with Communauto. The car sharing company originally agreed to supply one car for the development complex, but Agora wanted at least two, so they offered to pay for any short fall (Communauto wants to at least make $1,000/month) by end of year for the second vehicle. If things work out, they will offer the same deal for a third.

In addition, Agora will pay the base membership to all residents. Residents will therefore only pay for their insurance and mileage.

More on Le Droit:

https://www.ledroit.com/ma-region/la...e3cf36e4148732
This is great. I wish more developers offered services like this and ideally at a bigger scale. I think it's one small step in helping people live without feeling like they have to own a car.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 2:49 PM

I used Communauto in Toronto pretty regularly before getting our own vehicle and I have to say it was an amazing service. Not sure if it is set up the same in Ottawa/Gatineau but it was the first car sharing service that I've used that felt reliable. It allowed us to hold off purchasing our own car at least for a couple of years.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 3:14 PM

Developers often argue that parking is necessary even on transit lines because residents need their cars for groceries, shopping for larger items or weekend trips. Car services like this can go a long way in providing a solution to this without encouraging car ownership.

I wish we would see a lot more developers shift to this sort of service. Not only would it be good for the environment transportation wise, but it would also drive down the cost of construction by building smaller parking garages, hence more affordable units.

Reducing car ownership and parking garage sizes doesn't only reduce traffic, but saves on manufacturing/materials/GOH from the production/construction.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 11:44 PM
Busy Beaver

I got rid of my car more than a year ago and I haven't missed owning one since I have four Communauto stations within 200 metres from my front door. I love that I can reserve and unlock a car with just my smart phone, no keys or fobs to worry about. My monthly usage bill is no more than my former car insurance. If I want a car for longer trips/periods, I bike 2 km to an Enterprise rent-a-car where I can get one for about $50/day. I don't think I'll ever buy another vehicle, especially with LRT coming to my neighbourhood in 5 years.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 3:09 AM

Soho Parkdale was built with a garage to house at least one communal auto in a custom garage at street level if memory serves. I think it was provided by Vrtucar (now Communauto). Does anyone know if that service is still there? I'm curious if that worked out.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 5:45 AM

Agora is a great addition to the area. And it is a new concept you don't see in the Ottawa region, it will be a destination place once COVID is over.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt-mtl View Post
Agora is a great addition to the area. And it is a new concept you don't see in the Ottawa region, it will be a destination place once COVID is over.
It looks like a cool concept. I wonder about the very suburban location for something so dense as it seems like a strange location to live in an expensive small apartment which is what most will end up being.

I really doubt people will drive there from much more than 10 minutes away.

I don't mean to sound negative very happy to see this moving ahead. We should prioritize these kinds of projects as much as we can.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
It looks like a cool concept. I wonder about the very suburban location for something so dense as it seems like a strange location to live in an expensive small apartment which is what most will end up being.

I don't mean to sound negative very happy to see this moving ahead. We should prioritize these kinds of projects as much as we can.
Luxury apartments are renting out as fast as they can build them in this neighbourhood. My Dad moved in a few months ago and there was a waiting list for three months, he moved in before they finished his unit. There are hundreds more in various states of construction in the area in and around Agora. I think we'll see even more dense construction on the remaining vacant lots around Agora in the next few years. I don't find the location strange for small expensive apartments, it's 10 minutes down Alumettieres to downtown, about the equivalent of Westboro.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post

Even if it encourages locals to walk/bike to the area and spend a few hours, it will be a success. At the moment, everyone drives a few hundred meters to a kilometer and a bit to the big box store malls and drive back.

The area also has the huge community park with skating rink, the library and eventually a multi-surface ice rink in addition to the mini retail district, further attracting people.

The tramway (in 10 years) could attract more people from Hull and Aylmer who might want a quieter night out.

Last edited by J.OT13; Feb 2, 2021 at 3:56 PM. Reason: Correcting auto-correct.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 12:47 PM

Better than the renderings. By far my favourite suburban project in the NCR.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Better than the renderings. By far my favourite suburban project in the NCR.
I hadn't noticed the outdoor hockey rink before. Very cool. Ottawa needs more of those.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I hadn't noticed the outdoor hockey rink before. Very cool. Ottawa needs more of those.
That's one of the Sens rinks. Or was. Not sure how that works now that the Sens Foundations and the Sens have severed their relationship.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 3:33 PM

Quote:
That's one of the Sens rinks. Or was. Not sure how that works now that the Sens Foundations and the Sens have severed their relationship.
Thanks. I thought those were mostly in disadvantaged neighbourhoods, but I guess not. That's a nice asset for this development.

It's something that Ottawa and Gatineau should be looking at in general as the climate warms and the outdoor rink season shortens. They make for good ball hockey facilities too. And they strike me as a cheap way to improve the efficiency of old, single pad arenas as they can share a zamboni.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 3:48 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Thanks. I thought those were mostly in disadvantaged neighbourhoods, but I guess not. That's a nice asset for this development.

It's something that Ottawa and Gatineau should be looking at in general as the climate warms and the outdoor rink season shortens. They make for good ball hockey facilities too. And they strike me as a cheap way to improve the efficiency of old, single pad arenas as they can share a zamboni.
There's a really good one of these at Brian Kilrea Arena. Covered outdoor rink next to proper arena. There was also a good outdoor arena in Lowertown, too.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
There's a really good one of these at Brian Kilrea Arena. Covered outdoor rink next to proper arena. There was also a good outdoor arena in Lowertown, too.
Exactly, it's a cheap way to get a second pad at existing arenas. I hope they do more of that around the city.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 7:40 PM

Quote:
It was for the most part, with City Hall and this one as notable (or the only?) exceptions. They may have been more of a "promotional" opportunity.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs