HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 3:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Brigil has very deep pockets and can afford to wait many years for Petrie's Landing to pick up.

The market for this type of development isn't going anywhere but up.

There are still today thousands of empty-nesters in Orleans living in their big single-family houses. I grew up there and most of the parents of people I know are in their mid to late 60s and late 70s and have not yet downsized. Almost all of them will downsize at some point.

And most of them are going to stay in Orleans because that is where their grandkids are.

Brigil bought the land by the river when the gettin' was good. All they have to do is be patient.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 4:18 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
I think it really has more to do with price. The amount of money they asking for the high rise units is pretty crazy. To some extent I would say they are kinda over priced, considering where they are you can't blame it on land costs are any sub things. They probably only really appeal to the retired crowd who are selling there largish single family suburban home now that the kids are gone, but still want to remain in Orleans. This also assumes people would want to make the jump from a quiet private single family living setup to apartment condo.

The low-rise units seem to have more a broad appeal. I know the ones up on Trim were mostly sub-200k for an 1100 sq foot 2 bedroom with (outdoor) parking included. Really that is hard to beat at least for brand new construction.
My understanding is that the problem with highrise costs in the suburbs is while there is some savings in land in suburbs vs core, land is a relatively small component of high rise development costs when compared to construction costs and soft costs.... construction costs, consultants, development fees, in core vs suburbs will be quite similar, although for a downtown site there are issues with neighbours, using streets/sidewalks etc....

People expect a lower price due to the availability of cheap lowrise housing nearby, and don't want to pay downtown prices for something in Orleans or Barrhaven... so developers may do higher quality in order to increase their margins and/or appeal to a certain demographic.

There's also a higher risk for the developer... it's harder to market condo living in the suburbs, since people are giving up the space and comforts of detached living but not getting the shops, entertainment, and restaurants of Westboro or the Byward Market. A townhouse can be a much better value for money, especially for a family. The condos in the suburbs will take longer to sell than Westboro or the Market, and if many are unsold when registered it will add more costs and decrease the developer's returns.

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Jan 19, 2010 at 5:20 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 3:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
My understanding is that the problem with highrise costs in the suburbs is while there is some savings in land in suburbs vs core, land is a relatively small component of high rise development costs when compared to construction costs and soft costs.... construction costs, consultants, development fees, in core vs suburbs will be quite similar, although for a downtown site there are issues with neighbours, using streets/sidewalks etc....

People expect a lower price due to the availability of cheap lowrise housing nearby, and don't want to pay downtown prices for something in Orleans or Barrhaven... so developers may do higher quality in order to increase their margins and/or appeal to a certain demographic.

There's also a higher risk for the developer... it's harder to market condo living in the suburbs, since people are giving up the space and comforts of detached living but not getting the shops, entertainment, and restaurants of Westboro or the Byward Market. A townhouse can be a much better value for money, especially for a family. The condos in the suburbs will take longer to sell than Westboro or the Market, and if many are unsold when registered it will add more costs and decrease the developer's returns.

Good analysis, but I think that the main draw for aging boomers who have spent their working lives in a place like Orleans is proximity to grandkids*. This generally trumps all of the urbane pursuits you mentioned and which are appealing to people like SSP forumers.

Yes, I think the Brigil towers are very expensive by Orleans (and general Ottawa suburban) standards but there are more than enough fish in the sea in Orleans to fill them out... eventually.

*For an altogether unexciting suburban area, Orleans has a staggeringly high retention rate of its young people who grew up there and who settle there as young adults. I would estimate that upwards of 80% of the people I went to high school with are still living in Orleans as adults. When we have reunions, it's almost as if there was something wrong with you if you've settled in Kanata, downtown Ottawa, Gatineau, Montreal, London, Toronto, Paris, Boston or Tokyo instead of Orleans.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 8:36 PM

There may be 21 units left by Brigil, but I know of a quite a few others that purchased units on spec and are unoccupied at this time

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 9:42 PM

Nobody has posted a photo since it was completed, so here is one:

Photo by me.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakche View Post
Nobody has posted a photo since it was completed, so here is one...
It's too bad this project hasn't moved along better because it's not a bad looking building. Unfortunately it's way out on Trim road next to a "poopy" beach.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 11:47 PM
Awesome!

Another (a very long) shot from Highway 148 to illustrate how out of place the building is.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...131.42,,1,-0.8

Old Posted Feb 27, 2010, 5:01 AM

My biggest concern with this place is the lack of convenience for owners. I would think that the majority of condo buyer's are looking for an opportunity to walk to shops, restaurants and the grocery store. There is absolutely nothing in this area and I think it keeps a lot of buyer's from purchasing here. I know that there is a market for condo's outside of "the hustle and bustle" of downtown, but this project seems to be the complete opposite.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 9:09 PM
Awesome!

Wow! Still no updates from the website. This is definitely stalled.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 2:13 AM

What do you expect for a development on the edge of the furthest suburb, isolated by a highway and a river on either side?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 1:31 PM

There is other development at least as far out as that further up trim. I think the problem here is demand. Is their really this much demand for highish priced condos in Orleans. Or would people looking for highish priced units be looking in other areas of the city.

I am not sure there are many suburban buyers looking for high rise condo developments. The demand is more in houses of various types.

Even those ones on Centrum (names escapes me right now) have a big sigh saying "50%" sold. It is not common to start a building with that level of sales. Usually about 70% is needed.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
There is other development at least as far out as that further up trim. I think the problem here is demand. Is their really this much demand for highish priced condos in Orleans. Or would people looking for highish priced units be looking in other areas of the city.

I am not sure there are many suburban buyers looking for high rise condo developments. The demand is more in houses of various types.

Even those ones on Centrum (names escapes me right now) have a big sigh saying "50%" sold. It is not common to start a building with that level of sales. Usually about 70% is needed.
I think you are referring to "Celestia". There's also a pretty good reason why they are only 50% sold, though. Have you seen how much they are charging for condos with about 600-700 sq. ft.? They're so pricey. Nobody will want to pay that much for a small condo that size in Orleans. I don't know how much the condo fees are but I assume that they'd have to be pretty low in order for people to want to buy them.

Sure, they're nice but it seems a bit overpriced for the neighbourhood. And I have nothing against Orleans, that's where I live and was born and raised!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haussmanniste View Post
I think you are referring to "Celestia". There's also a pretty good reason why they are only 50% sold, though. Have you seen how much they are charging for condos with about 600-700 sq. ft.? They're so pricey. Nobody will want to pay that much for a small condo that size in Orleans. I don't know how much the condo fees are but I assume that they'd have to be pretty low in order for people to want to buy them.

Sure, they're nice but it seems a bit overpriced for the neighbourhood. And I have nothing against Orleans, that's where I live and was born and raised!

No Celestia is a different development by a different builder. Brigil has built a number of other buildings in the area that are wood framed, 4 story walk-up apartments with outdoor parking. They are 2 bedrooms and about 1000-1100 sq feet. They are much cheaper and have sold very well. They can also be sold building by building as it is many small buildings instead of one big one.

My point was it is a price problem not a location problem. People are willing to live there at a much cheaper price.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 10:52 PM

i drove by petrie's yesterday. that building looks so forlorn in the middle of a field of spring-time mud and dead grass. it's really crying out for a brother or three.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 11:57 PM
Awesome!

Yep sadly it's been over 3 years since the last update of their webpage.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 12:54 PM

Petrie's Landing is getting office space, retail and a banquet hall.

They annouced this at the Orleans chamber of commerce this morning with a ton of fan fare.
Quote:
BRIGIL is contributing to job creation in Orleans
The Petrie’s Landing III project will create more than 2,100 jobs.

Orléans, le 12 septembre 2013 – The BRIGIL team and its president Gilles Desjardins are proud to unveil the upcoming launch of the commercial development Petrie 's Landing III, a major project to promote the business in Orléans. BRIGIL chose to make the announcement of this initiative that will stimulate job creation in the sector in the presence of Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson and Orléans ward counselor Bob Monette. The whole business community of the Orléans Chamber of Commerce assisted with the event.

Orléans, a place to live and work
Orléans will now be a destination not only for its quality of life, but also for work and entertainment. Allowing people to work close to their homes is what this project aims to do. Petrie’s III is located on an exceptional site, close to Petrie's Landing I, II and Petrie’s Island.

This new large-scale business concept will promote the economic development of Orléans, a goal that has recently become a priority for the City of Ottawa. The Petrie's Landing III project, which represents an investment of more than $ 300 million for Orléans, will have 450,000 square feet of commercial space for the creation of more than 2,100 jobs in the region.

The first phase of the project will include a banquet hall and a multipurpose room that will meet a growing need for people of Orléans. These community spaces, aimed at enhancing the social life of residents will occupy 64,600 square feet. On the ground floor, many retailers will revitalize the neighborhood life through a variety of restaurants, shops, services, health and wellness, convenience stores and office space.

In announcing this new business development, Mr. Desjardins would like to highlight the major collaboration of the City of Ottawa and especially from Orléans ward counselor Bob Monette in this project which will offer huge potential for business in the region. "Through this project, BRIGIL contributes to the economic growth of Orleans and continues to develop Petrie's Landing. It is with confidence that BRIGIL sees the future of Petrie 's Landing III project, which directly promotes the great economic vitality of the sector ", said Mr. Desjardins.

The Orléans ward counselor Bob Monette said that “this new project presented by BRIGIL, will have a major impact in attracting businesses and families to settle in the region." Petrie 's Landing III is a continuation of two other projects where BRIGIL created communities in Orleans.

Established in 1985 by Gilles Desjardins, BRIGIL continues to make a vital contribution to the National Capital Region. Since 1985, the company has built 7,000 homes in a number of sought-after communities. BRIGIL stands out by the quality of its products, renowned customer service and elegant designs that are suited for active lifestyle.

With its expertise developed over 28 years, the company has anticipated the population growth in the National Capital Region, helping to create a better quality of life that meets family, social and professional needs. This is premise behind the slogan of Gilles Desjardins and the BRIGIL team :

"Proud to build a better quality of life ."

They are calling this Petrie's Landing III.

http://www.brigil.com/news.php?task=lire&id=53

http://www.brigil.com/communities/javitch.php

https://twitter.com/BobMonette1/stat...317376/photo/1

Seems to be six buildings in total:

https://twitter.com/JonathanWilling/...451072/photo/1

https://twitter.com/JonathanWilling/...30972505419776

They are saying ~370000 sq feet of office space.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 4:41 PM

A little off-topic but does anyone know anything about that building under construction at the Highway 174 e/b off-ramp at Tenth Line Rd? It's been under construction forever.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob64 View Post
A little off-topic but does anyone know anything about that building under construction at the Highway 174 e/b off-ramp at Tenth Line Rd? It's been under construction forever.
The one right beside the 10th line bridge is a social housing project. It is pretty much closed in now.

The one closer to Place D'Orleans and Shankman Arts is a hotel (Holiday inn express) that has become stalled in the cinder block stage, due to finances or something.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 5:06 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

A quick recap of Petrie's Landing:

And just how many of these buildings have actually been built?

Petrie's Landing I

Petrie's Landing II

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 11:50 PM
Awesome!

Wow I can't believe this project is still not dead but yeah the only way to get this moving was to put some mix-use. Now with the future Cardinal Creek subdivision, some retail could also help in the area

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs