HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 1:12 AM
Kev K

Quote:
Originally Posted by He's Back View Post
Millcreek Project on 10th St - 31 Stories

A mid-block.crossing between 10th and 11th that pedestrians can use. Be still my heart!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Yeah. I like both projects. They are not earth shattering but it's good infill with better than average street presence. 811 Peachtree especially should be a huge boost to the vibrancy of the area.
Re:811 Sure the parking podium can be improved but the tower looks solid and this should have a *huge* impact on the continuity of the urban fabric on that stretch of Peachtree. I've hated that big parking lot fronting Peachtree for years and it will be great to finally have it gone. For that reason alone, I'm more excited about this project than nearly any others in Midtown during this cycle.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 12:19 PM

They really nailed the project location in the top right section of this image

If only that parking lot was being redeveloped! Maybe something else is in the works… that’s a pretty big misrepresentation of the location.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
Re:811 Sure the parking podium can be improved but the tower looks solid and this should have a *huge* impact on the continuity of the urban fabric on that stretch of Peachtree. I've hated that big parking lot fronting Peachtree for years and it will be great to finally have it gone. For that reason alone, I'm more excited about this project than nearly any others in Midtown during this cycle.
I agree completely with the complaint about the deck. I just assumed that the DRC would request a better screening.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 8:39 PM
i ain't no bubba

IMO 811 Peachtree is one of the least appealing high rise projects in Property Markets Group's portfolio. Although there are much worse looking buildings around, a corner that prominent warrants a better looking tower.
It's better looking than X Miami but not nearly as stunning as (even a shortened version of) the Waldorf Astoria Miami...now that's what this corner deserves!

https://propertymg.com/

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 11:33 PM

DRC Recap

180 10th Street

Working with Gresham Smith as the architect, Mill Creek presented plans for a Modera concept on the north side of 10th St. between Juniper and Piedmont. The 31-story building has 345 residential units above 3,200 square feet of retail. To achieve the desired amount of residential density on the site, a transfer of development rights (165,000 square feet) is in process. As an infill project on one of Midtown’s most traveled corridors, the design is driven by three main considerations: (1) capitalizing on proximity to Piedmont Park and Midtown’s active bike culture, (2) creating a welcome environment for people and their pets, and (3) delivering a unique rooftop amenity with sweeping views of Midtown’s dynamic skyline to the west and the beautiful landscape of the park and Stone Mountain to the east. The committee greatly appreciated the comprehensive thought behind the design and had minor comments.

DRC recommendations included:
  • The eight-story parking podium should utilize the colorful garage screening concept on both the east and west façades. The rear façade of the parking podium should also incorporate design elements that present a thoughtful approach towards neighbors to the north in the adjacent Azure building.
  • The retail use proposed at the southeast corner should extend the glass wall facing east to create more transparency between the restaurant interior and outdoor patio space. Outdoor dining should be provided in the side yard between the building and BlueMed Spa.
  • A vehicular drop-off is necessary for convenience and operational efficiency. This can be achieved via parallel spaces, angled spaces and/or a circular drive accessible from the western driveway.
  • Loading and service must be actively managed and scheduled to allow for effective use of the single loading space.
  • The site should be limited to right-in/right out circulation along 10th St. — preferably via a center median coordinated with ATLDOT – to enhance safety of vehicles and bicyclists along 10th St.

811 Peachtree Street (Society Atlanta)

Property Markets Group utilized Cooper Carry to present plans for 811 Peachtree St. Known as “Society,” the 33-story tower features 15,600 square feet retail, 76,500 square feet office, and 460 residential units.

DRC recommendations included:
  • The vertical punched opening treatment on the six-story parking podium should extend around the periphery of the building. The northwest corner of the podium, which faces the 6th St. intersection, should be refined to indicate the spandrel or reflective glass proposed.
  • Significant refinements are needed to provide clear pathways to access loading, dumpsters, bicycle storage and elevators. Additionally, more thought is needed on how to address efficient operations for retail tenants and the relationship of back-of-house functions to the leasable tenant spaces.
  • Retail parking should be specifically allocated for retail uses.
  • A detailed and dimensioned set of storefront elevations is needed to illustrate accurate topography, signage locations and façade treatments including pilasters and canopies.
  • Vehicular drop-off must be carefully considered, particularly in collaboration with 805 Peachtree to maximize the mutual benefits of the easement along the south driveway. Potential on-street temporary parking should be considered along 6th St.
Next Steps: The committee requested the applicant address comments and return to provide updated plans at a follow-up presentation at the next regularly scheduled DRC meeting in August.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Jul 15, 2021 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 8:28 AM

Quote:
not nearly as stunning as (even a shortened version of) the Waldorf Astoria Miami
I understand the aspirations for 811 Peachtree, but the NY/Miami displaced cube effect is dated and stereotyped and anyway at the moment really only a pre-built rendering, 2017 model. Better Miami sees it than Atlanta. Waldorf Astoria right. What did they pay for that name?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 1:11 PM

Does anyone know why a transfer of development rights is needed for 180 10th street? It's a very reasonable density, and could even be more dense - it's two blocks from a MARTA station. If the zoning doesn't allow this level of density without transfer of development rights, that's a problem.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Does anyone know why a transfer of development rights is needed for 180 10th street? It's a very reasonable density, and could even be more dense - it's two blocks from a MARTA station. If the zoning doesn't allow this level of density without transfer of development rights, that's a problem.
I think it's because of it's location near Piedmont Park. There are a couple of different zones near the park where the zoning is different than the rest of the Midtown core.

Allso Society is marketed as "attainable" apartments. I would expect a different level of architecture from those and a Waldorf Astoria .

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 1:53 PM

When will this break ground??? I am skeptical about anything anymore.............

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
When will this break ground??? I am skeptical about anything anymore.............
I think you just want something to complain about. There is no need to be skeptical about when this will break ground, it was just announced and Modera has delivered a handful of projects here.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Pretty good track record, don't be so negative - its obvious you want much taller projects, etc, but look at the positives around you! This city is transforming, its nuts!

I like the look of the street presences for each - and so happy that ugly empty parking lot is going away, its such an eye sore in that area.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 5:14 PM
Kev K

Quote:
The 10th St tower appears to be located in the SPI-16-SA2-Juniper St Transition Area. This is the second "step" after SPI-17 , which is a firm 40' height limit. The image of allowable FAR & other info in different zones is pulled from here. I also want to point out that SPI-16-SA2 doesn't allow bonus incentives like SA1 & SA3 for some reason as per the third image?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 9:13 PM

Quote:
That whole area is a clusterF&*$% of zoning overlays and multiple SPI subareas that complicate this project.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
That whole area is a clusterF&*$% of zoning overlays and multiple SPI subareas that complicate this project.
Yeah, like that stupid day spa.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
Every zoning ordinance is shaped by past lawsuits (including court orders), past zoning, politics, and bigger picture policies.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Last edited by Terminus; Jul 16, 2021 at 2:21 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
Every zoning ordinance is shaped by past lawsuits (including court orders), past zoning, politics, and bigger picture policies.
Ooooh some sanity to counter-balance the pie-in-the-sky dream machine. Sooo refreshing on these contentious boards.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
Ooooh some sanity to counter-balance the pie-in-the-sky dream machine. Sooo refreshing on these contentious boards.
Well, my whole life is nothing but zoning and entitlement. Folks on here tend to have the most simplistic understanding of the issue - especially those who blame the FAR's for the proliferation of mid-rises.

I have never had a developer tell me that the FARs in Midtown were what was preventing them from building a true "skyscraper." The biggest issue are that: 1) lenders only want to finance deals of a certain size in order to minimize risk, 2) there's little demand for "prestige" buildings anymore, and 3) they're much more expensive to build and the rents don't justify the added cost.

Developers have a lot of clout in Atlanta. If FAR was really a problem, Midtown Alliance and property owners would be pushing to increase them. There has been zero push to do this.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
there's little demand for "prestige" buildings anymore
Many mostly empty prestige buildings in NYC right now.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 4:48 PM

We shouldn’t be waiting for developers to lobby the city for FAR increases until the current processes no longer meet their financial models. Increasing FARs introduces new players into the Atlanta market that may want to enter but don’t want the hassle of working with the city to change regulations.

The city needs to lead on this, not private firms. Most simply work within the parameters/box they’re provided. Considering the city and MA already provided recent FAR bonuses, there’s already been consideration to pressure and to allow more in Midtown.

——

That said CoA may not *want* higher FARs for Midtown, however. They may see the growth and want to build out most of the space and have more development trickle into downtown under a shorter timeline than if FARs in Midtown were to be increased.

Last edited by Street Advocate; Jul 17, 2021 at 5:01 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta