HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 7:31 PM

It would be great if we had international flights besides Mexico and the US. I have a friend who comes to Winnipeg every 3 months from London. That would help him lol.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotw_wpg View Post
It would be great if we had international flights besides Mexico and the US. I have a friend who comes to Winnipeg every 3 months from London. That would help him lol.
The owners of Dwarf No Cachette in St. Boniface started a campaign and petition to get direct flights from Winnipeg to Japan. They went pretty hard at it for at least a year. I know they probably didn't get very far but I'm curious to know if they at least got a response or if anything came of it.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 9:03 PM

Europe is very realistic and will more than likely happen before the end of the decade.

Asia? Extremely doubtful, but one never knows.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The 4 gate expansion planned is on the International/US side. I cant recall if any are flex gates or not. I am not sure if any of that programming has changed.
With how the US preclearance and the domestic/other security works any east side expansion of YWG can only be for US preclearance. It is possible the current gates 2 and 3 could be converted to swing gates. My impression though is they don't need more gates that would be used in a swing capacity but definitely need an expanded hold room in the US preclearance side. Makes sense with the added LAX and ATL flights.

On the west side, as that is where the current ground gates are any extension would be challenging. They could potentially add some sort of pedestrian bridge to a second terminal building though. But that would start a lot more complicated discussions.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 11:11 PM

East expansion -
Converting gates 2 and 3 to swing gates would be easy. Having the same setup for the new gates wouldn’t be too hard, either. Especially if built with the Edmonton style paired bridges and downramp to customs, it would be quite flexible for boarding at one gate not to block disembarking at the next.

West expansion -
Following the same roofline and adding a few gates, and having all the ground boarding on the south side of the building would be feasible. Plenty of room for apron extension.

I’d like to see east expansion in the next few years. Current gates can handle quite a bit of growth. Even adding one long jetbridge could be done without expanding the holdroom for another US peak departure, just would have to be a smaller aircraft not 737 or A320.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:06 PM

From the YWG Master Plan. Page number 46.
https://www.ywg.ca/assets/pages/YWGMasterPlan0615.pdf

FUTURE DEMAND KEY MASTER PLAN 2033 DIRECTIONS
 Passenger growth to nearly double to
6.0 million by 2033;
 Peak hour growth varies by sector,
with largest growth in arrivals (over
70%) and departures/international
(52% increase); and
 24 gates needed.

 Expand the terminal building by:
– adding a ground-level four-gate facility to
the east of the terminal building; and
– building a facility expansion to the west to
meet gating demand;
 Implement Quick Connect processes to
facilitate growing domestic-to-U.S.
connections;
 Address constraints in the long term for
circulation/holdroom space;
 Continue to allocate more airside
retail/concessions space;
 Implement next generation kiosk-based
border clearance solutions with CBSA; and
 Work with CBP to improve processing
capacity and hours of service

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan