HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:14 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Country Hills Blvd is wider past Stonegate because of truck traffic in the area. Similar to Barlow Trail in the SE. the median is wider to allow the angled left turn lanes, that are much safer for left turning truck traffic.

The “urban Blvd” portion is essentially unbuilt so far, as that is generally everything east of what is currently developed.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 10:05 PM

CHB is actually classed as an arterial https://www.calgary.ca/Transportatio...f?noredirect=1.

That reason does make sense, but I don't believe it is a good trade off. You get marginally better safety at the expense of a ton of wasted space and an ugly road, isolating those outer suburbs and further entrenching crappy city building. The road design would make sense in a purely industrial area like Barlow in the SE, but not so much in a residential/commercial one.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 5:09 PM

Does anyone know if 2A between Dunbow and 194th is to receive interchanges? Would seem that once West Stoney is done that a lot of traffic will flood into that area.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
Does anyone know if 2A between Dunbow and 194th is to receive interchanges? Would seem that once West Stoney is done that a lot of traffic will flood into that area.
Not in the immediate future. 194 is being extended to Silverado right now. Don’t think the city will put that intersection high up on the interchange priority list

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 6:28 PM

How much traffic is there from the south to west? I doubt it's massive, but the current route is pretty awful, so adding the SWRR and then WRR would each be a massive improvement.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
How much traffic is there from the south to west? I doubt it's massive, but the current route is pretty awful, so adding the SWRR and then WRR would each be a massive improvement.
I'd consider more The CanAMEx corridor. I mean they can and likely will stay on 2 till they reach Stoney, but I guess time will tell.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 6:48 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Two updates on the Glenmore/Sarcee upgrade that goes along with the SWRR project.

1. detour at Sarcee/Glenmore.Hwy #8 intersection is set to open July 28 as per the electronic signs this morning.

2. Glenmore widening west of Crowchild kicked off yesterday. On top of the 60km speed zone that has been in place (despite zero construction) between 37 Street and Richard Road they have now tacked on a 50km zone to the east. Not sure where that ends because the City has somehow forgotten to post where the construction zone actually ends eastbound). Or perhaps it goes on indefinitely.....

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 9:59 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Canamex traffic on the west side? Theoretically it should be zero, the east bypass is signed as such and is a much shorter route.
And way flatter...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 6:07 PM
Suburban dweller

Leisure traffic (tourist and local) transitting from south Calgary or coming from the South and heading west, and vice versa will be the main benefactory of the west RR. Also a makes the intra city movements from NW Calgary to the SW or SE much easier which is a huge deal.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Leisure traffic (tourist and local) transitting from south Calgary or coming from the South and heading west, and vice versa will be the main benefactory of the west RR. Also a makes the intra city movements from NW Calgary to the SW or SE much easier which is a huge deal.
So true. I wish the west leg was being built right now as the benefits of the fully completed project will be a lot larger than the detractors want to admit.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 6:48 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Agreed - will really be a game changer.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 1:15 PM

I was barely here before the other legs opened, but it seems to me the remaining two will offer far more than the others in opening up the city to different route options. I know the west leg will have a number of different use scenarios that will benefit me even though I'm not doing the main NW-S route.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 1:36 PM

Quote:
East bypass (Stoney from Deerfoot NE to Deerfoot SE) is 40 km. West completed bypass will therefore be ~60 km, and involves crossing the Bow River, Fish Creek, Elbow River, big climb adjacent to COP, crossing the Bow River again, West Nose Creek, and finally Nose Creek. It also includes the busiest point on Stoney which is at Beddington, 80k vehicles per day.

The design of the Stoney/Deerfoot interchanges confirm the intended path for Canamex traffic without even considering any of that. In the deep south, the northbound to westbound movement from Deerfoot to 22X is pretty much an afterthought, though it becomes significantly more important upon completion of the west leg. North to east and west to south are high speed 2 lane flyovers.
What will the Macleod to west Stoney interchange be like? That will be the one more used for those coming from the south and heading west.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 2:41 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
What will the Macleod to west Stoney interchange be like? That will be the one more used for those coming from the south and heading west.
It's a big system loop, right exit and 2 lanes.

Similar to EB Stoney to NB Deerfoot except a bigger loop.

Alignment map here.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 3:08 PM
Suburban dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Hopefully not but it won't surprise me if it ends up this way. The problem of course is lowers speed limits and at least three signalized intersections along McLeod which defeats the whole purpose. Traffic really should be encouraged to use #2 all the way to Stoney even if it is a little longer distance wise.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 3:29 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Macleod will ultimately be free-flow from Stoney to the De Winton fork.
But when?

I didn't think the Walden and Dunbow interchanges were funded yet. I thought I read that 194th was.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 3:50 PM
Near Generational

That would be quite the challenge.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
But when?

I didn't think the Walden and Dunbow interchanges were funded yet. I thought I read that 194th was.
That's just an intersection and road to connect it to Silverado I think. No interchange.

I really dislike the city's road building philosophy. Are they really (eventually) going to build three or four interchanges down that section of Macleod? 1 or 2 would be fine. We definitely shouldn't have them a km apart at 194 and 210 ave, but that's what the plans show.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 2:48 AM

Quote:
That's just an intersection and road to connect it to Silverado I think. No interchange.

I really dislike the city's road building philosophy. Are they really (eventually) going to build three or four interchanges down that section of Macleod? 1 or 2 would be fine. We definitely shouldn't have them a km apart at 194 and 210 ave, but that's what the plans show.
I agree. Building interchanges that close together is usually a waste of money and creates weaving problems.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 5:10 AM
Near Generational

Quote:
The road is definitely under construction (I live in Silverado), but I thought I read that the eventual interchange was funded.

There isn't really any wasted work between the two projects, so maybe it's still a couple years out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure