HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 3:25 PM

That matches the guidelines that the city is looking for developing Main Street in general; to encourage development close to the street with parking in the back and/or middle.

New Freddy businesses would be a big boost in general too; to give us some unique destinations that aren't just mirrored on the South Side.

Of course with Price Chopper gone now, the white elephant has just moved down the street. Hopefully that space won't be left empty for too long. (Goodness knows, that minimall is on its last legs appearance wise as is)

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 3:34 PM

I suspect that if the redevelopment of the CT is done properly with the right mix of tenant then that will act as a magnet for further retail development at the new "white elephant". In addition I expect the Giant Tiger plaza on Union to undergo a revitalization soon.

Just a thought but if I were Jean Coutu I might be tempted to relocate across the street from Shoppers. Call it "Drug Wars".

That would likely accelerate the redevelopment of the Union St property

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 6:21 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
I suspect that if the redevelopment of the CT is done properly with the right mix of tenant then that will act as a magnet for further retail development at the new "white elephant". In addition I expect the Giant Tiger plaza on Union to undergo a revitalization soon.

Just a thought but if I were Jean Coutu I might be tempted to relocate across the street from Shoppers. Call it "Drug Wars".

That would likely accelerate the redevelopment of the Union St property

Drug Wars. LOL

and if Mary Browns moved in that area by KFC that would be Chicken Wars.

I agree that strip mall where Foodland used to be is a total dump. They need to move the bank out and knock it down. I think a fresh start there would be great.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 2:11 AM

Great news about the former Canadian Tire property. Will be interesting to see what they do with that.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 6:18 PM

I see that Starbucks is now listed on the site plan for Prospect St Plaza.

http://www.crombiereit.ca/PDF/factsheet_45.pdf

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 6:52 PM

August PAC agenda has been posted, though there isn't anything terribly interesting: http://www.fredericton.ca/en/citygov...Agenda-PAC.pdf

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
I see that Starbucks is now listed on the site plan for Prospect St Plaza.

http://www.crombiereit.ca/PDF/factsheet_45.pdf
They'll probably get a drive thru approved for this location. Oddly close to the Target Starbucks (though that's a bit of a useless location). I'm still surprised they don't seem to plan to put a stand-alone one in the Corbett Centre.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 1:04 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV70 View Post
They'll probably get a drive thru approved for this location. Oddly close to the Target Starbucks (though that's a bit of a useless location). I'm still surprised they don't seem to plan to put a stand-alone one in the Corbett Centre.

It might be a useless location for you, but not everyone else.

For the record I dont go to starbucks.

A Starbucks or a second cup on the northside would be a nice touch, They just need a good location for one

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV70 View Post
I'm still surprised they don't seem to plan to put a stand-alone one in the Corbett Centre.
Corbett Centre could work as a location, but we will have three Starbucks, all within 500m of each other. A fourth one would have to be downtown or on the northside, there's no way uptown can support a fourth.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 6:57 PM

Continuing/updating my thought experiment for Sunday Transit:

From these options, they estimate 75$/hour to run a single route.

So a suitable sunday service would be 8 routes (to cover hourly service), at 75*8 = 600$/hour. Assuming they run say from 8 to 8 would be 7200$/day. 52 Sundays in a year would be 374,400$ to add Sunday service.

That is well within my (admittedly back of the envelope) estimates assuming the yearly pass increased by 10$. It's within the estimates if it was increased by 5$ even. With that, there'd even be room to keep Silverwood and Lincoln's routes active.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 12:11 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Continuing/updating my thought experiment for Sunday Transit:

From these options, they estimate 75$/hour to run a single route.

So a suitable sunday service would be 8 routes (to cover hourly service), at 75*8 = 600$/hour. Assuming they run say from 8 to 8 would be 7200$/day. 52 Sundays in a year would be 374,400$ to add Sunday service.

That is well within my (admittedly back of the envelope) estimates assuming the yearly pass increased by 10$. It's within the estimates if it was increased by 5$ even. With that, there'd even be room to keep Silverwood and Lincoln's routes active.

As a home owner and a tax payer. I do not want my money to pay for routes that are going to lose money. If you dont use it your gonna lose it. Also ive heard people who have taken the bus talk about getting free rides sometimes. That can not help the situation.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
As a home owner and a tax payer. I do not want my money to pay for routes that are going to lose money. If you dont use it your gonna lose it. Also ive heard people who have taken the bus talk about getting free rides sometimes. That can not help the situation.
What I pointed out wouldn't increase the tax burden, other than to match the rates they said they are willing to cover already (40% recovery rate; so the city covers 60%). And it's intended to encourage more people ot use it, thus reducing the burden as well.

The recovery rate is one of the best for anything the city covers. The Arenas only dream they could have that much recovered from the users; so I guess you would support closing all the parks and shutting down all the Arenas?

In any case, we do need to make changes to improve the transit system we have; and we need to plug the holes (lack of Sunday service) we have in it so people can go without a car if they desire, and still cover every day uses. Taxis would cover the "Staying late for work; going to a late night show; etc...) needs. but if someone regularly works 12-5 on Sunday as a lot of people do, there should be bus service to get them there (not to mention bus service to get shoppers to those businesses).

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 7:28 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
What I pointed out wouldn't increase the tax burden, other than to match the rates they said they are willing to cover already (40% recovery rate; so the city covers 60%). And it's intended to encourage more people ot use it, thus reducing the burden as well.

The recovery rate is one of the best for anything the city covers. The Arenas only dream they could have that much recovered from the users; so I guess you would support closing all the parks and shutting down all the Arenas?

In any case, we do need to make changes to improve the transit system we have; and we need to plug the holes (lack of Sunday service) we have in it so people can go without a car if they desire, and still cover every day uses. Taxis would cover the "Staying late for work; going to a late night show; etc...) needs. but if someone regularly works 12-5 on Sunday as a lot of people do, there should be bus service to get them there (not to mention bus service to get shoppers to those businesses).
I think raising the rates by 25 to 50 cents might be a good idea. More service. Then everyone will be happy except the drivers not wanting to work Sundays

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 10:56 PM

According to their Facebook page Home Sense is sked to officially open on August 26. Don't be surprised if there is a soft launch a few days prior.

Last edited by Freddypop; Aug 13, 2014 at 3:30 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 5:47 AM

Quote:
I think raising the rates by 25 to 50 cents might be a good idea. More service. Then everyone will be happy except the drivers not wanting to work Sundays
That would work too probably. Go to 2.50$/ride, increase passes to 85$ and make Seniors get a discounted 40$/month pass (instead of their current 50$/year bonanza), and add in Sunday service. Those in total should be more than enough to handle Sunday AND Silverwood and Lincoln runs.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 12:42 PM
Any where but Fredericton

Quote:
That would work too probably. Go to 2.50$/ride, increase passes to 85$ and make Seniors get a discounted 40$/month pass (instead of their current 50$/year bonanza), and add in Sunday service. Those in total should be more than enough to handle Sunday AND Silverwood and Lincoln runs.

I took the bus for 1 year while I went to Compu College downtown in 1998-1999 I always got a drive there. I took the Brookside 13N bus home it cost 1$ i think and somewhere in between there it jumped to 1.25$. I though that was alot back then living in my parents basement

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 2:53 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
According to their Facebook page Home Sense is sked to officially open on August 26. Don't be surprised if there is a soft launch a few prior.

Soft launch doesnt sound good at all.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Soft launch doesnt sound good at all.
What do you mean?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 6:14 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Yeah? A business does a soft launch to make sure they work out any kinks in their processes so that the big kickoff isn't a total disaster.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 1:41 AM

Quote:
As a home owner and a tax payer. I do not want my money to pay for routes that are going to lose money.
I'd be surprised if there are very many transit routes that make money. The system as a whole certainly doesn't.

In that respect, it's similar to most municipal services (and, in fact, most services at any level of government). Governments exist to provide services, not to make money. If anyone could make a profit on public transit, some entrepreneur would probably be doing it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces