HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 7:55 PM

What feels so strange to me is that the Austonian was Austin’s tallest building for twice as long as Frost. That just doesn’t really register, seems like Frost was the dominant building for a long time. But I guess it was just that I was younger and time passed more slowly then.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I personally think a much taller version of the Frank Erwin Center should be built. Maybe 800' or so....

I seem to remember that being the original, pre-value engineered, plan.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 9:49 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Not to start any city-versus-city argument...
Really? Sure reads like your intent is to incite one. Add value to an Austin discussion or take your actions elsewhere. If we were interested in Houston developments, we know where to find said information.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Really? Sure reads like your intent is to incite one. Add value to an Austin discussion or take your actions elsewhere. If we were interested in Houston developments, we know where to find said information.
Don’t bother engaging with him. Austin is gonna do Austin and we will see him in the rear view mirror.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
For what it may, or may not, be worth, that comment of mine came about as a response to a different poster having said directly to me something to the effect that Austin is the only place in Texas that is building so many residential properties in its downtown. There is only one city in TX that I have enough knowledge of to use as an example of how that claim is mistaken. I probably should have responded to that specific person instead of the person I did respond to, but he/she did not seem all that amenable to discussion.

As I said in the part of the comment that you did not quote, my intention was only to show how we may be unaware of what is happening elsewhere. We may think things happening in our cities are only happening in our cities. The surge in downtown residential properties is, of course, a national trend.

It has been made abundantly clear to me that there are enough people here who don't want to hear even (what I thought was) gentle teasing about Austin's entry into the big leagues. Now I know. I will try not to do it again. I can't promise that I will succeed, though.

As I've said elsewhere, Austin's growth (both in quantity and quality) is just phenomenal to me. I first moved there in 1976. (There was only one Chinese restaurant at the time!) In that time Austin has gone from being a place I wanted to escape from to a place I know I would enjoy living in.

If you see me slip back into some mild snarkiness at some point, just know that I'm experiencing a moment of envy at what seems to be Austin's less risk-averse development style as well as experiencing frustration at what I see as so much that is disappointing and downright boring (or worse) being built in Houston.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 10:23 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Hawaiian airlines has already increased its service to AUS (before it even starts). Sighting increased demand, the flight will move from 2 per week to three per week from May 28 to August 13, 2021. Service starts April 21.

Also, Spirit has added Pensacola to its non-stop offerings from AUS.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 2:41 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Hawaiian airlines has already increased its service to AUS (before it even starts). Sighting increased demand, the flight will move from 2 per week to three per week from May 28 to August 13, 2021. Service starts April 21.

Also, Spirit has added Pensacola to its non-stop offerings from AUS.
This is great to hear!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 7:37 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
Ok. I've read comments from some of you saying that the new towers in Austin aren't your cup of tea or on the bland side. In your opinion, what are some architectural styles you'd like or architects you'd want to build in the city?
So, while I have come to love all the glass, and for sure there have been some nice glass towers, some of them are a little more repetitive and average than I'd care to see. And not just that, but I don't want them to become monotonous. I'd like to see some more stone on our skyline. 300 West Sixth I think is a bit underrated, and I would like to see more of that. Some more Texas limestone and granite.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
So, while I have come to love all the glass, and for sure there have been some nice glass towers, some of them are a little more repetitive and average than I'd care to see. And not just that, but I don't want them to become monotonous. I'd like to see some more stone on our skyline. 300 West Sixth I think is a bit underrated, and I would like to see more of that. Some more Texas limestone and granite.
I agree. Like they say variety is the spice of life.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 7:47 PM
World Traveler

I'd like to see more brick. Stone also, but especially brick. Just no more stucco, please.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 1:08 AM

Some of those towers in Asia would look cool in Austin imo, or would that clash too much with the existing skyline?

Last edited by Dariusb; Mar 19, 2021 at 7:30 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 1:31 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
Some of those towers in Asia would look cool in Austin imp, or would that clash too much with the existing skyline?
Depends on the tower. Some are revolutionary while still "classy" while others are totally off-the-charts weird and can't decide what they want to be.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 2:57 PM

The Bowen (left) and Domain Tower 2 (right)

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 9:34 PM

A couple of news worthy development items today. The Austin Business Journal is reporting that the large area of site prep across the highway from Tesla's U/C Giga Texas site is for a SpaceX facility. Also, a permit was filed for a 62-story residential and hotel tower

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 9:43 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Also, a permit was filed for a 62-story residential and hotel tower
Another 700'-800' tower. WOW! This marks, I believe, 10 towers either proposed, working through entitlements or U/C over 600'!!!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Another 700'-800' tower. WOW! This marks, I believe, 10 towers either proposed, working through entitlements or U/C over 600'!!!
Yup. I have 10 on my list if 5th & Colorado is counted. An amazing 8 of the 10 are 700'+. Then we have two more coming in just under 600' at 594' - U/C Google #2 and the Travis.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 1:02 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

I keep forgetting about the Google tower. That's such a transformational buliding for the skyline.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
I keep forgetting about the Google tower. That's such a transformational buliding for the skyline.
Here's a recent photo of it taken by an Austin forum member:

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 1:23 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Oh wow! That's much further along than I thought.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 1:57 AM

Wow indeed! It's like the towers never stop coming. Quick question: in your opinion is Austin becoming a true urban environment in the south/southwest or do you think it already is?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations